SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-13, 08:24 PM   #16
Oleander
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I wish they'd modernized Sid meier's Gettysburg.
It wouldn't surprise me if Sid was working on a new iteration of it, the Brave New World scenario may have been a test. A game like that is pretty tasking though, you'd need something similar to the Total War engine to make it enjoyable. I never really understood why more publishers never made games around it, we have plenty from every other time period.
Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 01:16 PM   #17
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Follow-up

Whew! Using the links and suggestions provided, I've certainly found what I was looking for; thanks again, and again, everyone. So, ignoring, for the moment, the little bugs and glitches that are present in the titles that you all have lead me to try out (I LMAO at the "Conga Line" when each Regiment makes a turn or reaches its ordered destination ), here's my impression, so far, of several "good" American Civil War PC games.

The Matrix Games "Scourge of War - Anniversary Edition" is IMHO a great tactical/grand tactical level collection of games representing several key battles in the Eastern Theater (Gettysburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, and Pipe Creek [Fictional]). It's designed to be moddable, has a good scenario editor and appears to have a large MP/modding community (as well as "sandbox" mode). The other American Civil War titles by Matrix Games and AGEOD look to be good games as well; I just haven't been able to pull myself away from the SoW battles yet!

Special thanks again to Narko, akula65, Lionclaw, Dread Knot, and Skybird (hey Platapus, that sounds like a good title for an indie game...you working on it? ).

Oleander, nikimcbee; you might try SoW Gettysburg (quite a bit less expensive than the entire 150th anniversary collection). I think it's as good as, or better than, a "modernized" Sid Meier's Gettysburg would turn out to be.

Hinrich Schwab...your positive impression of TC2M prompted me to look at it again and I found an old Paradox/Madminute forum, which had the answer to the cursor problem. My screen text size was set to 150%. When I reset it to 125%, the cursor appeared as it should; I set a custom text size of 145% and it still continues to work. So, now that I have it working, I have to take back my negative opinion of TC2M; it's a good game (being the "precursor" to the Matrix SoW games, that's to be expected I suppose) and I'm enjoying it also.

So, I'm a happy camper ...but the missus does not share my enthusiasm. Except, she's all-in when it comes to either keeping me out of her way, or "entertaining" the grandkids and using these games/sims to teach them a little patience and critical thinking vs emotional "reactionism" (bet the game/sim designers never thought of them as being used as that kind of "tool"). Thanks again everyone!!!
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 09:46 PM   #18
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Hinrich Schwab...your positive impression of TC2M prompted me to look at it again and I found an old Paradox/Madminute forum, which had the answer to the cursor problem. My screen text size was set to 150%. When I reset it to 125%, the cursor appeared as it should; I set a custom text size of 145% and it still continues to work. So, now that I have it working, I have to take back my negative opinion of TC2M; it's a good game (being the "precursor" to the Matrix SoW games, that's to be expected I suppose) and I'm enjoying it also.
I am sorry I could not get back with you sooner to help you out with this. My past week has been a bit screwy. I am happy that my recommendation motivated you to resolve the issue on your own. The game is very, very good.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 10:00 AM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

dsoliver18!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote