SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-17, 11:02 AM   #3556
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yeah, that looks fine... Let me go get my copy going, and see what I get anymore...
pb,

i fixed it, vicariously.
i went back to square one: deinstalled and then deleted the folder(s). rebooted and installed from cdrom. then applied the five patches and voila it started.

now if i can complete a career i will die a happy man.
thank you for your patience!!!!
m

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 09-04-17 at 06:42 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 05:02 AM   #3557
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I never did find my newer OpMonsun downloads, and had to re-download it. I'll probably find all my files now that I've done that. Of course, I still haven't found my original SH4 nor my SH3 disks from way back in 2008... Oh well.

Anyway, I've got 705, 705 to 720, the Patch, OMEGU and it's patch installed, and a few of the optional mods (bearing tool, larger dials, etc.), and thoroughly enjoying it as a diversion to my woes with FotRSU and CMN modding. Gotta have time to play as well as test... - So far (knock on wood), I have no issues in OM, and it looks wonderful. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a torpedo on the German side, but we'll eventually get there... getting lots of practicing doing the ole German paradigm of "go deep" for the avoidance early in the war...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-04-17 at 08:58 AM. Reason: You can sure tell I'd fail as a proof-reader... lol
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 11:34 AM   #3558
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I never did find my newer OpMonsun downloads, and had to re-download it. I'll probably find all my files now that I've done that. Of course, I still haven't found my original SH4 nor my SH3 disks from way back in 2008... Oh well.

Anyway, I've got 705, 705 to 720, the Patch, OMEGU and it's patch installed, and a few of the optional mods (bearing tool, larger dials, etc.), and thoroughly enjoying it as a diversion to my woes with FotRSU and CMN modding. Gotta have time to play as well as test... - So far (knock on wood), I have no issues in OM, and it looks wonderful. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a torpedo on the German side, but we'll eventually get there... getting lots of practicing doing the ole German paradigm of "go deep" for the avoidance early in the war...
i did run into a couple of issues:
special abilities are effective with only a few subtypes. capnscurvy and i and working on trying to figure out how to make specials effective on all types. we have found that adding the property via S3D does not work. more to come on this issue.

btw, the graphics are nowhere near as nice as in FOTRS. you will see what i mean when you finally torpedo a ship.

LAA enabled
Old 09-04-17, 04:21 PM   #3559
propbeanie

Oh yeah, that might take me a while to do too...

I do not recall off the top of my head, and I'll have to do me some searching on the subject, but I do remember a thread about that before, and it may well be in this thread... Was it a "language" thing for titles or rank?... man. Just a few weeks ago too...

Old 09-04-17, 04:49 PM   #3560
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default bow torpedo tubes destroyed

ok, one of those verdammt Allied airplanes sneaked up on my nice, shiny Type 9D and dropped a couple of eggs. that wasnt the real insult. the worst thing was that the bombs damaged my engine room and my after torpedo room and for the remainder of the patrol, every two minutes, i received a status message of: bow torpedo tubes destroyed. {sigh}

the bow torpedo tubes were not destroyed because i went on and sunk some allied ships however the after tubes were destroyed because they would not fire anything.

how can i fix this? any hints, suggestions, etc? (no bad language, please!)

LAA enabled
Old 09-04-17, 06:43 PM   #3561
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
i did run into a couple of issues:
special abilities are effective with only a few subtypes. capnscurvy and i and working on trying to figure out how to make specials effective on all types. we have found that adding the property via S3D does not work. more to come on this issue.

btw, the graphics are nowhere near as nice as in FOTRS. you will see what i mean when you finally torpedo a ship.
i take back what i said about the graphics. i had to back off of the OMEGU mods and just run with the OM mods and the graphics are great.

LAA enabled
Old 09-04-17, 09:13 PM   #3562
propbeanie

For me with the omegu mod, there are 8 mods in the folder, and all I've used is omegu itself, and left the others for now. Maybe I'll try them later, maybe not. No issues with it at all. Surely you don't have a mod-soup situation again... ??

Old 09-05-17, 01:37 PM   #3563
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
For me with the omegu mod, there are 8 mods in the folder, and all I've used is omegu itself, and left the others for now. Maybe I'll try them later, maybe not. No issues with it at all. Surely you don't have a mod-soup situation again... ??
i shouldnt have....fresh install...applied the mods....started a career.
if i have a mod soup issue then it is time to find another pasttime, eh?

LAA enabled
Old 09-05-17, 05:51 PM   #3564
propbeanie

The OMEGU mod is in the OMEGU_v300_pkg folder, so be sure it's pulled out of that folder and in the MODS folder. In other words, don't activate the OMEGU_v300_pkg... Same way with the OMEGU Patch mod

Old 09-06-17, 07:51 PM   #3565
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default OpMunson CTD

pb (at alia)

found a repeatable CTD playing Opmunson.
17-20 west 54 north 11/21/44 2330 hours
large convoy heading appox 066 at medium speed
i am approaching from east on reciprocal course.
right at spawn time....bam....ctd

now that i have run ME a couple of times, i will attempt to find the convoy...no promises.

i suspect that LantConvoy_44 is the file and SCL2_Large_44 is the convoy. 71 ships. whew. no hard evidence though.
can you see what you can see?

m

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 09-06-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 01:04 PM   #3566
propbeanie

Are you referring to the area just North and West of Ireland, where all the routes converge to / from Ireland / England? I sure wish the ME would list what RGG it is that are there. There's 3 that I've found there in the area consistently. Two outbound and one inbound... The particular RGG you're referring to comes in, goes out, comes in and goes out, several times. I'll dig some more as I get the chance. Another thing we could do is build a mission near that date and near that location, and play it a few times to see what comes by, and if the game does a CTD...

Old 09-09-17, 01:46 PM   #3567
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Are you referring to the area just North and West of Ireland, where all the routes converge to / from Ireland / England? I sure wish the ME would list what RGG it is that are there. There's 3 that I've found there in the area consistently. Two outbound and one inbound... The particular RGG you're referring to comes in, goes out, comes in and goes out, several times. I'll dig some more as I get the chance. Another thing we could do is build a mission near that date and near that location, and play it a few times to see what comes by, and if the game does a CTD...
remind me: what does RGG stand for?

LAA enabled
Old 09-09-17, 03:38 PM   #3568
propbeanie

Sorry 'bout that... Random Generated Group - one of the "yellow squares" you'll see in the Mission Editor that mark where a group can form.

Old 09-10-17, 10:51 AM   #3569
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
to answer your original question, yes, i am referring to the area just West of Ireland, where all the routes converge to / from Ireland / England. talk about a spaghetti bowl of route packages....geeez.

i was browsing through Lant_convoys_44 and saw 37 groups and i swear half them go through that area.

so, let me see if i understand what happens when a convoy meets a player's sub:
convoy is a single entity on a certain course and speed when it meets the player's sub.
it then spawns into the various ships that compose it according the parameters set forth in the DOT.mis file in the Group and Unit sections?
if that is true then only a percentage of the ships defined in the Group section will spawn due to the spawn percentages present?
this seems terribly computer-like computing...why would the app take a dive? i have written more CPU-centric programs and "the spawn" is not very complex when compared to other programs. just thinking.......

LAA enabled
Old 09-10-17, 06:12 PM   #3570
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
to answer your original question, yes, i am referring to the area just West of Ireland, where all the routes converge to / from Ireland / England. talk about a spaghetti bowl of route packages....geeez.

i was browsing through Lant_convoys_44 and saw 37 groups and i swear half them go through that area.

so, let me see if i understand what happens when a convoy meets a player's sub:
convoy is a single entity on a certain course and speed when it meets the player's sub.
it then spawns into the various ships that compose it according the parameters set forth in the DOT.mis file in the Group and Unit sections?
if that is true then only a percentage of the ships defined in the Group section will spawn due to the spawn percentages present?
this seems terribly computer-like computing...why would the app take a dive? i have written more CPU-centric programs and "the spawn" is not very complex when compared to other programs. just thinking.......
You've got the general idea correct. The game doesn't "draw" any 3D artwork until it has to. So, while you're cruising about the ocean, and are outside of what we guess is about a 30k radius circle, the game just tracks the RGG Groups as a whole, as numbers, not as individual ships in those groups. Once you get inside that "drawing" radius, then it will do the necessary calculations as found in the RGG Properties page and the "Define Group Contents" settings in the ME. If you look at the file in a text editor, you can see it all in one place. This "technique" is one of the reasons SH4 runs better than SH3, and even the earlier versions of SH4 (v1.3 and earlier). The game will then draw the vessels as necessary to be seen by the player at the horizon (20k). However, a bad "call" to one vessel in the whole group can and does bring the whole game down. Narrowing down the possibilities is key to finding an issue. If it crashes every time at the same place every time, then you'd look at all of the 80-100% generating ships - OR - something to do with the land, if you're withing 30k of the land mass, say a gun emplacement... but I don't think you're within that range... maybe... What we've found with FotRSU is that the amount of vessels and / or airplanes generated can definitely affect your computer. When Truk was all messed up in earlier versions, there would be 100 plus vessels all congregated in the atoll, from about 4 or 5 groups, and it didn't crash on my computer, but it sure was slow, to the point that one airplane may well have crashed me. I'd say one airplane is worth four ships as far as computer-intensive goes, just my guess. So look for airbases nearby also, that might have a bad plane call or CFG...