Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-19-10, 10:24 AM   #1
BrokenTurret
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Steel Fury - MASSIVE Turret Glitch - Help?

I attempted to register over at the Graviteam forum for help on this subject, but their forum registration appears to be broken for me. I cannot activate my account what so ever... after 15 attempts.

So I'll ask here, in hopes someone can help.

Problem:

If I am driving and my AI gunner finds a target and proceeds to move the turret/barrel, as soon as I switch to the turret/barrel myself, the barrel continuously moves up, to the right, or both up/right combined.

If I am the gunner and I tell my AI driver to turn right, my turret/barrel continuously moves right.

If I am the gunner and I tell my AI driver to turn left, my turret/barrel continuously moves up.

If I am the gunner and I tell my AI driver to turn left, right, or both... my turret/barrel continuously moves up and to the right.

Basically the only way I can be the gunner in a mission is if I drive a straight line the entire battle, which we all know is no fun and doesn't work too well.

I have the notorious windows 7 which is the only issue I could see that might be causing this. Surely I couldn't be the only one running this game on Windows 7 though...

If someone could prossibly transplant this to the graviteam forums for me so I can get additional help, I'de appreciate it.

Old 10-19-10, 05:09 PM   #2
O_Smiladon
Mate

Downloads: 32

I have win 7 64 bit and that side of the sim is working fine for me..

but I am new to the sim so I am no real help to you sorry

O_Smilaodon
O_Smiladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 10:29 PM   #3
Gary Owen
Swabbie

Do you have a joystick or other controller that is plugged in but not used when you are playing this sim?

1st US Volunteer Cav
Gary Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 03:04 AM   #4
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Turret Glitch

Never heard of that issue before? Does this happen no matter what tank you drive( Soviet or German , any model?).

I also have SF on both Vista and Windows 7 and Win 7 is not an issue it's actually more game friendly than Vista can ever be.Other than a joystick issue I don't see anything.Did you try pressing the O key ( o not zero)?This normally aligns your gun with the front of the turret.But I doubt it would solve your problem. How I picture your problem is a gun lolling right and left as your tanks moves Sometimes when you switch position during a battle your gun keeps moving all you have to do is click on the mouse to make it stop.What controls are you using to mann the gun?The game's default keys or your own ( I use the right, left, up and down arrows rather than the game's number pad ones). I have a feeling is that the answer to your problem is probably simple.

I am a member of Graviteam's forum( same handle) so I'll post your problem and let you know when answer/solution is given.Be patient because sometimes it takes time before they answer back.

Hang on.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 01:17 PM   #5
BrokenTurret
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Owen View Post
Do you have a joystick or other controller that is plugged in but not used when you are playing this sim?
I do have a joystick that is plugged in. It automatically deactivates itself if there is no input for 2 minutes though. I also have the "disable joystick" option checked in the control options screen.

Pressing O doesn't have an effect once the glitch occurs.

I'll try left clicking the mouse once the glitch starts, but I'm pretty sure I have done this. After it happened 20 times in a row I dragged my hand all over my keyboard and kept clicking the mouse... the turret just kept spinning.

I also use the arrow keys (not numpad), as I thought the mouse was somehow causing the interference. It still has no effect.

This happens with all Russian and German tanks. Anything that has a turret, this glitch happens to.
BrokenTurret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:58 AM   #6
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Faulty Game installation

Sounds like you may have a corrupt game installation.Have you tried re-installing the game? As I said this has never been an issue before...

What mod do you have enabled?

What Steel Panzer version are you using?1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5?
Old 10-23-10, 03:46 PM   #7
BrokenTurret
Swabbie

I was originally running the base default version (non-updated). The glitch happened in this version.

I applied the unofficial_patch_SF_v0.1 - the glitch still occured.

I then installed the SPM_v1.5_beta_English-patch_ver2 - the glitch still occurs.

I can try a reinstall but the odds of it correcting itself are slim. From my experience usually when a game corrupts itself during an install there are a slew of issues or the game has trouble with crashing or not even loading up to begin with.

It's got the be the weirdest issue I've seen with any game. Everything works except for the "cursor" keeps moving continuously. Out of all glitches that's the last I would expect to happen.

I appreciate the help. I'll try a reinstall... hopefully it will work.
Old 10-23-10, 11:38 PM   #8
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Try with SP 1.4 first

I fI were you I would install or enable SP1.4 with the unoff english language patch and other mods like for textures, sound,compass, free cam etc.See if you're having the same problem.

I myself went through all the mods 1.1, 1.2 etc.I am not sure how going straight to beta 1.5 on a fresh installation works.

Once you're satisfied SP 1.4 works without a glitch then enable beta 1.5.

When I said corrupt I guess I meant it has a glitch or bug even though the game starts and seems to work.

Do you ahve another pc or laptop where you could make another installtion with 1.4 and test?

VCheers
Old 10-24-10, 08:41 PM   #9
BrokenTurret
Swabbie

Problem fixed.

After my 2nd reinstall the game is working fine now. I didn't do anything differently but it just decided to work.

I am seeing white flashing boxes all over my screen sometimes that was not there before but it's no big deal. This occurs if I go into an exterior view, such as lifting the hatch as commander

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-25-10, 07:05 AM   #10
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Graphic Glitch???

Broken turret( did you adopt that handle bedfore or after your SF turret problems?????If it was before then seriously consider getting a more positive handle like prolific turret....

Re your flashing boxes sounds a bit like some (hopefully minor) graphi card effects.What Graphic card do you have?Do you have the game enabled with maximum settings?It might be alittle bloom effect problem or excessive lighting.You can correct that by going into the game menu and look for video setting.You'll see lots of boxes at the bottom which you can tick or untick; some refer to lighting, bloom effects, evegetation etc. above you see some sliders which allow you to adjust gamma, anisotropic effects , brightness etc.I suggest you play with them and check the small image of a tank in a landscape on the right hand side; it allows you to see what effect the changes have on your game and if you feel they are the way you like them.

Cheers
Old 10-25-10, 01:44 PM   #11
BrokenTurret
Swabbie

I registered this name after I noticed the problem occured.

I have an ATI 4890 (overclocked version). I'm running full settings.

I'll try toying around with the lighting effects and see if it fixes the white boxes.

This is a seperate question I got too... what's the best way to avoid IL-2 attacks. It seems like they mostly go after the player tank. The aircrafts cannons don't seem to have an effect on the tank other than shattering every "viewing hole" on the tank. This makes it incredibly annoying knowing that you will be playing through a mission with a shattered gunsight reticle.

Is there a way to disable the "broken glass" effect?
Old 10-26-10, 07:07 AM   #12
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default IL2

An ATI 4890!Wow!You've got the King Tiger tank of graphic cards .I envy you!

No unfortunately there's no way of avoiding the IL2's attack.You can try hiding in the trees and shooting from a concealed position it helps a bit.I have tried machine gunning the damned but I guess the damage model for the airplane is not built in the game so you can't destroy them. You have 2 options go into MIssion Editor open the file that contains the Petrovka mission and then delete the aircraft from the list of units. Or just put up with it and try your best to survive.My worst gripe is not so much the broken sights as much as the dreaded" Die Kanone is verstoert! " which means your gun is disabled and basically you're dead meat or a mere spectator.This happened to me 4 times in a row playing that Petrovka mission.The tank guns seem to unusually prone to damage in SF.I have posted to Graviteam trying to find the file folder in order to reduce the frequency of damage.I'll ask also about the broken glass.What I would suggest is reducing the frequency not eliminating because it's part of the realism.Gun sights did get damaged during combat.

If you don't want the IL2 in the mission what you do is go to the menu and slide the ruler that decides the balance of forces.If you slide to the left then the number of enemy tanks and infatry present in a mission will decrease and the aircrafts either totally disappear or are reduced by half( but don't do it makes the mission far too easy and predictable).What you can do is just put it in the middle so have a balance of forces in your missions.It's in your game settings under the Realism setting I beleive form emmory.

Cheers