SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-07, 09:21 PM   #1
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3
Default [TEC] SH4 models and texture maps (warning: large pictures)

Now that I have had a chance to get good look at the game assets (models/textures), and what techniques the game engine uses to draw models I think we need a dedicated technical thread.

For the time being, I will only focus on ships (but I will add interiors in some time). How to import or export them will also be added later, for now it's just how the game draws them. This info should be useful to those who want to create or modify models.

First, the available textures:

..._T01, RGB channels = Diffuse map
..._T01, Alpha channel = Optional, specular map (see below)
..._O01, RGB channels = Ambient Occlusion & dirt map
..._O01, Alpha channel = Optional, specular map (see below)
..._N01, RGB channels = Normal map (aka bump map)

The specular map is special, as it can be either in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture or the ambient occlusion texture. And it's not a required texture either. The game identifies which texture to use with the UnifiedRenderControler > UseSpecularFromDiffuse. All the other extra maps can also be turned on or off with this controller.

Below are shots with combinations of the maps enabled. The shots are rendered in 3ds Max, so this also shows I got all uv-maps in. Please note that I do not attempt to get the same look as in game, because the game uses shaders and all sorts of other stuff to make it look even better. The shots are made to show the difference.

Diffuse only

The model has only the diffuse map applied. It looks very plain. Shadows are calculated based on vertex normals only. The shadows depend in this case solely on the light sources in the scene. Since I have a big light above the model, there aren't much shadows seen at the top of the deck.

Close up:

Diffuse + Specular

Same as previous shot, but with the specular map applied. The specular map is used to determine how much light is reflected. The most obvious highlights are seen at the keel and midsection of the hull. It depends on camera angle and where the light sources are. At different angles the effect can be seen better.

Close up:

Diffuse + Specular + Ambient Occlusion/dirt map

With the ambient occlusion map applied, the whole ship is now darker. The ambient occlusion map is basically used to apply prerendered shadows to the ship. No light sources have changed!

The game uses a completely different UV-set (texture coordinates) for this texture, which is the most common problem experienced in today's modding, since no tool can export/import the additional set(s), yet!

Occlusion maps are often also combined with a dirt map. A dirt map is a map that has extra detail, dirt, rust, scratches, and what not. When blended with the diffuse map, this will add more variaty to the overal look of the model. The model no longer looks plain, and texture tiling is no longer very apparent. Look just below the turret base, you can see a whole lot of rust/dirt that wasn't in the previous shot...

You can also see the specular highlights better now.

Close up:

Diffuse + Specular + Ambient Occlusion/dirt map + Normal map (bump)

Not so apparent from a distance, the bump map provides yet even more detail. Instead of modelling small details like ladders, windows, doors, wires, rivets, etc with polygons, such details can also be faked by your graphics card. The bump map provides info what area 'sticks out' or 'falls into' a surface. In combination with light shining on a surface the graphics card will produce shadows which will give it a raised or lowered look. You can see the bump map in action better below in the close up shot, I overdid the effect a bit so you can see more clearly (compare also with previous closeup).

Close up:

More to come later.

PS: I am by no means a 3d expert, just for the record

Last edited by skwasjer; 12-16-08 at 11:12 AM.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:24 PM   #2
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Ok man, you talking a foreign language to me! Where are you going with this:hmm:
Old 12-06-07, 09:27 PM   #3
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

One part of the game that needs a little work, by the look of things though ,
not for long

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:32 PM   #4
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Ok man, you talking a foreign language to me! Where are you going with this:hmm:
I want to outline how the game uses models and texture assets, and will add in the future how to get everything in and out of 3d modelling software. Basically, I want this to be a thread where all technical related info is gathered, for those that want to understand. I realise the uber 3d guru's are not impressed by this info, and others could care less about how it's done, but there's a group that wants to know
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 09:36 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Now I get the picture
Old 12-07-07, 12:04 PM   #6
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
I realise the uber 3d guru's are not impressed by this info, and others could care less about how it's done, but there's a group that wants to know
To paraphrase the catchline of a popular grocery store gossip mag, "Perspiring minds want to know". And my mind is perspiring, so I guess I fit into that group .

Thanks for the info

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-07, 12:13 PM   #7
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Skwasjer, you mentioned in another thread a 3d file format you're using for exporting the objects, do you have the tech specs?, I really wan't to give it a look to see if I can use it in a project I'm working on, and to improve compatibility between tools, when sansal wrote pack3d he choosed the obj file format because he worked with Maya, and also it's a simple format, but it lacks a lot of features (multiple tmaps, hierarchical models, etc).

Ref
Old 12-07-07, 12:21 PM   #8
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

If your project concerns an SH4 compatible object you should note:
The .obj formt is the original geometry format used in SH4 .dat files... You could use any other geomtry format you wished for development, but would have to convert to .obj to be encapulated in the .dat file. SH4 doesn't read any other geometry format that I know of...
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 12:28 AM   #9
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
so when the battleship runs you over you can see the wonderful bumpmapped rivets!!
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 09:30 AM   #10
Latency
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Can you help me with this gfx stuff?

Ok.. we all have to start somewhere, but I am no stranger to the gaming industry, just the modeling as I usually leave that up to the experts.

With this tool, it is really cool and all, but I have to cut and paste the exports as it does not drop in with any of the other pro tools that I have.

One of the things I wanted to do, was UV unwrapping so I can see what I am working with. While I am able to view the mesh no problem, there is an error that I am receiving.

"One of the polygons has a too small or a too large angle (have a look to more then 4 points polygons)" X,Y,Z: -0.000204 0.000018 -0.000020

Okay, after inspection I guess one of the edges pertrudes one of the outside planes and I guess thats an easy fix. But I am still not sure what I am doing here. In the SD3 editor it asks to specify the texture file.. Do I need to calculate the node positioning in the texture file to where my region will be?

This is what I am TRYING to do...

On the game SH4, I have fixed the v1.5 (latest ver) so that the uniform medals are properly displayed. In the TMO v17/18 the awards were yanked out of the box they reside in since the textures have changed and didn't match.

I have opt'd to put those back in, and have successfully put 5/6 of the stock meshes back in.. but I need to modify these old ones slightly and then apply my NEW texture I have supplied in the mod found in "AwardsItems.dds".

You can find it here.

First of all, why doesn't the Bronze Star get displayed anymore, and how do I re-texture these from my new file? Notice that the dimensions of the new texture file have changed and has to be recalculated to get the select region.

The .obj file that the SD3 exports isn't compatible with Maya.. but I guess if I knew how to use it I could cut&paste the specs.

I just got 3D Max 9 now.. and tried to open them there. I can open the .mtl of course but thats nothing, the .obj is what has the main mesh in it and it wont load. So what program is compatible with SD3's export feature? I am sure I can eventually figure it out, but I am throwing in the towel. Nor am I an artist, but you must know more than me since you wrote the utility.

Anybody care to help with what I am trying to do.. I can send you the .dds and the .dat file with the objects in there as template. Maybe we can rebuild the .dat file once we get it to work? I assume that the .dat file is SH4 proprietary hence requires this editor to be used.. since it is the only one in existence available to the public.

If you can get me Kashmir..... &#*$#@**@