SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-10, 02:32 AM   #301
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
SH3Cmdr in no way alters Commands_en.cfg
Aw, man!

I just rewrote three files and now my game crashes. I was gonna blame it on you, but now you've covered yer @$$ and I gotta find somebody else to blame it on.

I know! GWX! Where's Kpt Lehmann?
Old 01-07-10, 10:04 AM   #302
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Then you're in luck, as SH3Cmdr in no way alters Commands_en.cfg.
Thanks.

I've tested it back and forth with and wthout SH3 Commander several times now. For sure there's a conflict somewhere. If not the Commands_en.cfg, then something else?

In the DD V3.09 thread someone suggested that selecting malfunctions in the options would alter the cameras.dat, disabling DD's features. Sounds fine in theory, but I am having the same problem without malfunctions selected in SH3 Commander. All features of the DD OH camera seem to work fine, all commands work okay, except Shift+H or Ctrl+H to open and close the hatch. Exit game, rollback SH3 Commander, launch game again and start new career or mission and everything works just fine.

Oh well, the hunt goes on....
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 12:23 AM   #303
Tweety
Planesman

Downloads: 157
Problen starting a game with SH3 commander

Hello Everyone,

Sorry about posting this here. I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not.
I went into SH3 commander and clicked on the name I was using to start a 2nd patrol during my career. I came across a problem I wondering if I can get some help this.

This little picture of the error code was on top of the SH3 commander.
I didn't know how to take a screen shot of the error code on top of the bigger SH3 commander picture. I was only able to take two separate pictures.

I am using
GWX
MAGUI

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this or do I need to start a new career.

Tweety
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 12:30 AM   #304
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Assuming you didn't revert to a previous save point (say after dieing during a career), then, as per the GWX manual:

Quote:
The following are stock Silent Hunter III issues the GWX Team is unable to address:

- If you upgrade your U-boat before the first patrol of a new career, you may not receive any renown for ships sunk during the first patrol, so you should not upgrade or change anything on your U-boat on your first patrol of a new career before leaving port. Some players report that using <ESC> to end your patrol when close to your base but not necessarily in the harbor itself can avoid this problem.

- If you upgrade your U-boat at the end of the current patrol you may not receive any credit for ships sunk during the patrol, so you should upgrade your U-boat only when you are ashore and about to leave for the next patrol
These SH3 bugs also impact SH3Cmdr because data that SH3Cmdr relies upon does not exist in the game (it's not just renown and tonnage that SH3 fails to correctly record, it's dates as well).

If you have noticed no tonnage or renown for your first patrol, this will be definitely the case (of course, you will know anyway if you remember upgrading before starting patrol 1). A manual fix is possible if you know your way around the files (a question not for this thread though), but IMHO it would be easier just to start a new career and keep in mind the above suggestion.

Also note that if you ever revert to a previous save game (say you died during patrol 2 so reverted back to the beginning of patrol 1), this error will also occur. You need to have CORRECTLY started at least ONE patrol before you can access your Commander's details.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 01:10 AM   #305
Tweety
Planesman

Thanks JScones,

For the quick response.
I think after reading what you posted this could have caused the problem for me.

I went into the office and checked on my sub personnel to make sure every thing was good for another patrol. I noticed that the amount of officers listed was 5 out of 5, but when I counted the pictures of the officers I only counted 4. So I figured if I reloaded one of my last saves on the water before coming into port that should get the 5 officers back, which it did. This is when I left the game and then tried to start another patrol with the same name is when I encounter this problem. So it is clear to me what I did to cause the problem. Now I know. Also I knew about not upgrading the uboat before my 1st patrol. Wait till I get back.

Off to a new career, which is ok. I get more practice with manual targeting before the destroyers are harder to outwit.

Than you for clarifying things for me.

Tweety
Old 01-13-10, 01:13 AM   #306
JScones
Navy Seal

Wait. Load SH3 directly and reload that career. Go into the main barracks screen, then exit the career, exit SH3 and try SH3Cmdr again. It may work.

Assuming you've finished patrol 1. If not, complete the patrol first then everything *should* be fine again.
Old 01-13-10, 01:27 AM   #307
Tweety
Planesman

Hello JScones,

I am glad I came back and read your new message.

Quote:
Wait. Load SH3 directly and reload that career. Go into the main barracks screen, then exit the career, exit SH3 and try SH3Cmdr again. It may work.

Assuming you've finished patrol 1. If not, complete the patrol first then everything *should* be fine again.
I went into the nightclub for a midnight toast.

It worked.

Thank you so much.

Tweety
Old 01-13-10, 01:29 AM   #308
JScones
Navy Seal

Cool. What you did was force SH3 to rewrite the information to the data files...this time it got it right!
Old 01-21-10, 05:17 PM   #309
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

I have an intresting problem that I can't figure my way out of. I instaled the game and GWX and Commander and the compatability files but when ever I start a patrol the game breif tells me I don't have a home port that I am launching from and I don't have a home port to return to. Once the game loads it puts me in grid square FG28, just south of the nob on Africa near Free Town, I think.

The only thing I changed befor this hapend was instaling the GWX compatibilty files. You see, I forgot to instal them when I switched over to my new computer. Once those files went on this all started hapening. Every time it has hapend I have been using the 7th flotilla but I suspect it will hapen with other flotillas as well though I haven't tried.

The only reason I started playing with the files is to get the no fatigue option to work. Though even after instaling those compatibility files it still dosen't. If anyone knows how to fix this I would realy apreciate the help.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 05:30 PM   #310
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

How about uninstalling and reinstalling SH3Cmdr plus the compatibility files?

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 05:37 PM   #311
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
I have an intresting problem that I can't figure my way out of. I instaled the game and GWX and Commander and the compatability files but when ever I start a patrol the game breif tells me I don't have a home port that I am launching from and I don't have a home port to return to. Once the game loads it puts me in grid square FG28, just south of the nob on Africa near Free Town, I think.

The only thing I changed befor this hapend was instaling the GWX compatibilty files. You see, I forgot to instal them when I switched over to my new computer. Once those files went on this all started hapening. Every time it has hapend I have been using the 7th flotilla but I suspect it will hapen with other flotillas as well though I haven't tried.

The only reason I started playing with the files is to get the no fatigue option to work. Though even after instaling those compatibility files it still dosen't. If anyone knows how to fix this I would realy apreciate the help.
West of Africa? At coordinates 0' 0'? That's a mod conflict, nothing to do with SH3Cmdr. You have conflicting mods installed, or residual files from a previous installation (more likely if running Vista).
Old 01-21-10, 08:25 PM   #312
Dissaray
中国水兵

The only mods I have instaled are GWX 3, MaGUI, TMT 2, Thompsens sound pack, MEP 2.1 and the Q ship mod for GWX. None of those conflict, I don't think. I am runing Windows 7, which I guess is close enuf to Vista realy. I have tried reinstaling Commander but that didn't seem to have any effect. What I can't figure out is why everything set up just like this was working fine, with exception of the no fatigue modle that is, the same day the problems started but once I instaled the GWX compatability files it started acting up.

I supose I will have to reinstal the game, mods and all, see if that fixes things. Unless someone could tell me what file it is that dictates where the patrols start, I might be able to get a copy of that file from Steam much quicker than the whole game.
Old 01-22-10, 02:41 AM   #313
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post

Hello !

You not install equipment for the boat or change something about the crew configuration before you start your FIRST patrol of a new career !!!

That is an old bug from SH3, and this can not be fixed !

Best regards,
Magic
Old 01-22-10, 04:13 AM   #314
Dissaray
中国水兵

I'll give that a try, though I don't seem to recal changing any of the kit on my boat for the first mission out.

Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Not switching parts on my boat didn't have any effect on the problem. I did a little tinkering and discoverd that this strange bug only manifests when starting the game in the 7th flotilla in the year 1939. Any other flotilla in '39 seems to work fine and the 7th seems to work in any year that isn't '39. A further development; I found that starting a a career without using SH3 Commander still manifests the problem in the 7th in '39, I didn't even start the game using SH3 Commander. It seems to me that some where along the line a file was broken, and seeing as the last change I made to the files relating to the game was instaling the SH3C GWX3 compatability files I suspect that this is the cause.

It seems like the game dosen't know what home base the 7th is suposed to use in that year, is there a file I can edit to tell it where to start me out?

Last edited by Dissaray; 01-22-10 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 05:38 PM   #315
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Does anybody know if the "historic U-boat availability dates" option makes any changes to torpedo availability? I enabled the option in my current carrer (Dec 1939) and ever since, whenever I try to select G7e torpedoes I find that I have nothing but G7as when the mission loads.

Tags
sh3 commander