SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-08, 06:18 PM   #1096
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hallo OLC.

First of all thanks for the update.
The water looks a lot better now, more natural. I think the little tweak
you had already added combined with this update have improved its view considerably.
I think it has a more natural flow.
Well, i hope i am not exaggerating. Anyway, this is what i see.

Now, i don't quite see why you say the geometric squares are greatly reduced.
I hope we're talking for the same thing of course. Check the following pics.
The second one was taken from a mission i loaded.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1426218oc5.png
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4415781qr8.png

So, assuming we're talking of the same thing why do you say that? I believe
ships are still moving in a path of squares which appear too often. Am i missing something?
I am sorry i can't make a more detailed description.

Cheers,
tomfon
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 06:38 PM   #1097
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hallo OLC.

First of all thanks for the update.
The water looks a lot better now, more natural. I think the little tweak
you had already added combined with this update have improved its view considerably.
I think it has a more natural flow.
Well, i hope i am not exaggerating. Anyway, this is what i see.

Now, i don't quite see why you say the geometric squares are greatly reduced.
I hope we're talking for the same thing of course. Check the following pics.
The second one was taken from a mission i loaded.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1426218oc5.png
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4415781qr8.png

So, assuming we're talking of the same thing why do you say that? I believe
ships are still moving in a path of squares which appear too often. Am i missing something?
I am sorry i can't make a more detailed description.

Cheers,
tomfon
No we're talking about different things. The problem seen in your screens is usually only visible from high camera angles. Since I don't use external view, I hardly ever see that problem. And I don't know how to fix it - sorry.

By 'geometric squares' I meant this:

It's a stock SH3 problem which cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be made to look better/worse depending on environment settings. My recent tweak helps make it much less noticable at lower windspeeds. In high windspeed / clear sky weather it is still quite noticable - I'm looking into it to see what I can reduce it further without losing image quality elsewhere.
Old 09-19-08, 06:51 PM   #1098
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

OK thanks.

And BTW no need for me to get this fixed, i don't use external camera too.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-08, 07:00 PM   #1099
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

No worries.
Old 09-20-08, 11:30 PM   #1100
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

I've searched the thread, but can't find an answer, so is there any way of removing the murky water functions? Even with the 2.4.2 I can barely see a thing underwater and at night it's simply pitch black, even close up.

Might not be realistic, but I enjoy seeing my sub underwater and sometimes even watching the depth charges hit or miss me! Even with a 20 Clarity setting from SH3 Commander though this is just way too dark for my liking. Any idea how to change that please?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 07:38 AM   #1101
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania
I've searched the thread, but can't find an answer, so is there any way of removing the murky water functions? Even with the 2.4.2 I can barely see a thing underwater and at night it's simply pitch black, even close up.

Might not be realistic, but I enjoy seeing my sub underwater and sometimes even watching the depth charges hit or miss me! Even with a 20 Clarity setting from SH3 Commander though this is just way too dark for my liking. Any idea how to change that please?
IIRC you need to change the fog "ZMax" value in Node - Sky > EnvData > EnvData > Underwater (using S3D).
(Lets call that value X)
Then go into Node - Sky > EnvSim > EnvSim > FogDistances and set all the UnderwaterObjectsRelativeZMax values to X/2000.
Old 09-21-08, 10:38 AM   #1102
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

hello OLC,

for my personal use, i've adapted the stock sh3-gui to my taste. i have taken GWX-Integrated Orders, Peri_TDC (Ducimus) and U-jagd-Tools (joegrundmann) and built a combimod of that.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140680

although only a few people are interested (45 downloads), I don't care and continue. for my version 2, I have rearranged the main menu a little bit. from OLC-GUI, i have taken some icons for the menü and some tga's for the nav-map (tools like nomo.tga, depth.tga). i am very happy with that and now i think about to share it with others. so I ask for your permission to use the contents, that I took from your GUI. Of course, I will add your name to the credits (hope, this is the right word for the list of authors from whom I have taken stuff....)

greetings,
h.sie
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 10:57 AM   #1103
verde13
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Hi there OLC, i 've been enjoying your mods for quite a while now but lately i've come across a very strange problem. My torpedoes always miss in the campaign. I do what i always did following your instructions regarding OLC GUI. I can't explain what's wrong but i can't hit targets at 1000 meters away from me, when i was able to get hits from at least 2500 meters. The torpedoes never seem to have the correct solution. On the contrary when i try the training missions i have no problem whatsoever. I recall one instance when i launched one immediately after another, but not as a salvo. I could see at the event camera the one trailing the other one. Well the first one hit close to the bow but the second one never appeared. It is as if it vanished. Also the hit wasn't displayed on the event camera, i just saw it on the attack periscope. I'm at a loss here and have no explanation for this very annoying problem. I have sunk two ships in my current patrol but now i have been stuck with this problem for weeks. Help please ?
verde13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 11:31 AM   #1104
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by verde13
Hi there OLC, i 've been enjoying your mods for quite a while now but lately i've come across a very strange problem. My torpedoes always miss in the campaign. I do what i always did following your instructions regarding OLC GUI. I can't explain what's wrong but i can't hit targets at 1000 meters away from me, when i was able to get hits from at least 2500 meters. The torpedoes never seem to have the correct solution. On the contrary when i try the training missions i have no problem whatsoever. I recall one instance when i launched one immediately after another, but not as a salvo. I could see at the event camera the one trailing the other one. Well the first one hit close to the bow but the second one never appeared. It is as if it vanished. Also the hit wasn't displayed on the event camera, i just saw it on the attack periscope. I'm at a loss here and have no explanation for this very annoying problem. I have sunk two ships in my current patrol but now i have been stuck with this problem for weeks. Help please ?
That's a rather confusing post, Verde. The main problem, I guess, is that you can hit things in the training mission but not in career mode. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you want me to do about that. I mean it's clearly not a problem with the GUI, since the GUI is exactly the same in campaign mode as it is in the training missions.

Now to answer the two miscellaneous/random complaints you posted...

- the "vanishing" torp probably exploded prematurely (were you using magnetics?)
- the event camera doesn't always display the events its supposed to (stock bug)
- neither of these have anything to do with the GUI

Regards,
OLC
Old 09-21-08, 11:31 AM   #1105
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie
hello OLC,

for my personal use, i've adapted the stock sh3-gui to my taste. i have taken GWX-Integrated Orders, Peri_TDC (Ducimus) and U-jagd-Tools (joegrundmann) and built a combimod of that.

although only a few people are interested (45 downloads), I don't care and continue. for my version 2, I have rearranged the main menu a little bit. from OLC-GUI, i have taken some icons for the menü and some tga's for the nav-map (tools like nomo.tga, depth.tga). i am very happy with that and now i think about to share it with others. so I ask for your permission to use the contents, that I took from your GUI. Of course, I will add your name to the credits (hope, this is the right word for the list of authors from whom I have taken stuff....)

greetings,
h.sie
Sure, no problem.
I think there would be more interest if you put some screenshots in your [REL] thread.
Old 09-21-08, 11:22 PM   #1106
pmsteinm
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 36

Quote:
This may not be related, but its something to check:

I've noticed that when I'm in the attack periscope view if I click the left mouse button to get out of mouse look mode it always clicks on the torpedo depth selector and sets it to 20. Took me a few misses to notice that my torpedoes where passing way under the target. I assume this glitch is caused by my running at 1600x1200 instead of 1024x768 resolution. I've just made it a habit to adjust the depth after clicking out of look mode so its not a big deal.
pmsteinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 08:11 AM   #1107
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
hello OLC,

greetings,
h.sie
Sure, no problem.
I think there would be more interest if you put some screenshots in your [REL] thread.
thanks. but how can I make my thread become a [REL] thread?
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 09:30 AM   #1108
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
hello OLC,

greetings,
h.sie
Sure, no problem.
thanks. but how can I make my thread become a [REL] thread?
Uh... you don't need to do that... by [REL] I just meant your RELease thread i.e. this one: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140680
Put some screenshots in there
Old 09-22-08, 09:37 AM   #1109
verde13
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Sorry about the earlier post OLC, i was upset after failing to nail a large merchant right in front of me; anyway it might have something to do with the torpedo settings. If i flip the swith between magnetic and impact, several times then everything is back to normal.
verde13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 09:53 AM   #1110
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Sorry about the earlier post OLC, i was upset after failing to nail a large merchant right in front of me; anyway it might have something to do with the torpedo settings. If i flip the swith between magnetic and impact, several times then everything is back to normal.
Are you using Steam torps? If so, you might want to read the FAQ in the OLC GUI 1.2.6 thread (post #1) for some tips.