SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-13, 06:04 PM   #1
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Player suggestions

I'm always interested in constructive suggestions about features or improvements. I guess you understand that I can't implement everything but at least it will reach me and I will get a chance to think about it.

You are welcome to post your ideas here.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 04:27 AM   #2
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

You have done the first best thing which is reaching out to a community of players which will potentially buy such a game. In doing so though you have to manage expectations so my first suggestion is to publically maintain a crystal clear feature list of what is in and what is out, or a "to be determined". This should help you avoid grief and time.

If you are aiming for a tablet release first with iOS it would seem obvious to me that Android is covered too. Personally I own an Android 4.3 tablet I do not own any iOS device and have no plans to in the future. Android market share is growing and I believe is above Apple now in tablet sales so I'm just saying that you will cut off a chunk of potential users with an iOS only approach.

One trend in Sims atm that seems to be working well is the combination of realism, detail and tutorials teaching the player about the object of the simulation in great detail. The study sim in effect, it works well for the DCS series and they are undeniably successful.

If you are going for a tablet release why not incorporate some unique selling points of the platform such as the gyro sensors. Turning a periscope and using a tablet like a view finder could work really well imho.

...and good luck, you've got my interest.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 04:53 AM   #3
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Thanks!

Quick reply:

- Gyro sensors, this is possible to do as an option. I will try to implement it.

- "Study sim", great idea. Maybe not for the first releases but for later updates.

- Android, currently the game is really optimized for iOS hardware. Also there are many different devices on the android platform which makes it much harder to test and support. That's one of the reasons why the iOS release comes first. Also statistics show that the sales on the Android platform are much lower even if there are more users.
Maybe I'll speed up an android release by doing testing and optimizations during spare time while developing the desktop versions.

Quote:
why not incorporate some unique selling points of the platform
I plan to add some mobile features to the desktop version, like using your tablet as a controller. Also an option to continue playing on your device after you left your PC (means saved game states can be exchanged between mobile & PC).

Quote:
maintain a crystal clear feature list of what is in and what is out
I'll add this for the main simulation "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic" (which will be released after the Seehund version)

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
Old 11-25-13, 05:26 AM   #4
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0
Default WOTA Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
Also statistics show that the sales on the Android platform are much lower even if there are more users.
Hmm. I don't think that's true anymore. For my games iOS and Android are actually on par when it comes to sales (Windows Phone way behind). But my current numbers are way to low to have some significant statistics. In terms of downloads for free versions they are definitely almost equal.
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:34 AM   #5
thruster
Electrician's Mate

Default my suggestions for the devs...

1) within the captains alcove at the end of his rack, have his (your) blue uniform jacket hanging up on a hanger.
2) all medals and promotions are automatically loaded onto the graphic of the uniform jacket.
you will be able to reflect on your career achievements during the hours of DCing.
3) a selection of caps a player may choose. a cap was very iconic to uboat skippers, itd be nice to choose a style my hero character would wear. it can also be located and viewed on the drawers beside the bed from the captains rack.
4) the ability to add posters/pics to decorate my cabin.
5) games fail because they have universal difficulty settings, yet fail to account for random skill. instead of enemy ability options such as "stupid" or "ace" where everyone acts at that setting, can we have a randomised skill that accounts for the bell curve of skill. lots of average, quite a few incompetant and rare aces (flight sim devs this is also relevant to you if you read this).
6) random lame ducks, either damaged or breakdown that fall behind in the convoy. random fails onboard the boat is good too.
7) customising options for my boat. realistic ones.
8) ability to enhance my AA, with extra MGs would be nice
9) wreckage and survivors
10) i work away from home alot with crap internet. if im forced to play whilst on-line then i wont be able to play and wont buy it.
11) solo campaigns would be utterly awesome please.
12) .....im just getting started....
cheers.
thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 02:10 PM   #6
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruster View Post

8) ability to enhance my AA, with extra MGs would be nice
Please take a look at this

Old 08-10-14, 02:22 AM   #7
thruster
Electrician's Mate

thanks V-I-C, you have read my mind!
thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 03:49 PM   #8
HermanitoII
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

As I posted on my first topic I have in mind making a real command room (just a dream by the moment) but I found a big problem. As far as I know WWII subsims cannot be run in different windows so many stations can be opened at once, each one on a different screen.

Will this game be able to be run in differents windows (like microsoft Flight Simulator) so we can open different stations for each screen?

I have no idea on programming and I don´t know if offering that feature is a huge headache for the devs but it could open a door that for today remains closed.

Thank you.
Old 02-02-15, 03:54 PM   #9
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

No, the game supports only a single screen.

Old 01-05-16, 07:19 PM   #10
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Icon10 Cel nav?

How about realistic navigation?

No need to hassle with coding a sextant into the game...
The player would have the option of having his/her submarine NOT displayed in the nav map to give up the real location. How to proceed then? There could be a "position display" in the options menu such as:

Choose to display the current position in the following formats:

-DECIMAL:
S 23.66165
W 46.67755

-DM.M:
S 23 39.699'
W 46 40.653'

-DMS:
S 23 39' 41.9"
W 46 40' 39.2"

Notice that the decimal format is the one which gives away less hint about the true position of the sub. The other two formats provide more detail especially about the minutes of lat/lon.

After writing down the position in decimal format I would simply copy it into a program that simulates any star's position in a given Date and location such as Stellarium (stellarium.org) and from there change the date and time for the actual in-game then work my way into performing Celestial Nav. Then mark my new assumed position on the nav map then proceed with my navigation. Stellarium does accept the decimal format in the location field.

Rulers, protractor, compass, circle radius, markers, parallel rulers are also welcomed to have those for use as tools in the nav map just like in the SH series. I'm posting this also in the WOTAS' Facebook page as well.

tks!
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 07:27 PM   #11
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

This is something for the 2nd (full) version of WOTA.

Old 01-05-16, 07:29 PM   #12
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427
Icon14

Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote