Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-21-07, 02:22 PM   #1
Shyzar
Engineer

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Good books on Aviation?

I didn't know where else to put it, so...
Can anyone give me any recommendations for aviation books (fictional or factual), prefferably during WWI or II, but I don't really care.
I can't seem to find many on websites such as Chapters.

Friction is the only concept that more or less corresponds to the factors that distinguish real war from war on paper. -Carl von Clausewitz
Shyzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 04:12 PM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Take a look here and do a search for what you want, it usually comes up with the goods. Or failing that, a good browse around one of their shops in a major city is time well spent if you find yourself in Blighty. Hang onto your wallet though, they've got tons of really great stuff.

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/pages.php?pageid=19

If you want some recommendations, here's a few WW1 choices:
King of Air Fighters by Ira Jones (the biography of Mick Mannock, written and edited at the height of anti-German sentiments in WW2, it is very anti-German and Ira Jones, who was a fellow flyer clearly has unresolved issues from his WW1 experiences, it nevertheless is a good read if you can skip over the anti-German sentiments, gives a great insight into the man who was in truth, probably the highest-scoring fighter pilot of WW1, despite claims to the contrary).
Under the guns of the Red Baron by Norman Franks, Hal Giblin and Nigel McCreery (an up to date analysis of all Von Richthofen's combats, featuring maps and good pictures).
The Red Baron Combat Wing: Jagdgeschwader Richthofen in Combat by Peter Kilduff (Kilduff is one of the recognised world authorities on the Baron, and this book is a thoughtful and deep invesstigation into his squadron and its operations both with and without him, including a lot of info about Herman Goering's WW1 fighter pilot actions)
Combat Report by Bill Lambert (hard to find, but probably one of the most readable of the biographies of a WW1 flyer, he flew SE5as and shot down quite a lot of German aircraft).
Der Rotte Kampflieger by Baron Manfred Von Richthofen (a book by the man himself, it is ghost written but with many contributions from himself, and although it bears the mark of wartime censorship, is still well worth reading. There is an English translation available [The Red Air Fighter], published by, I think Airlife or maybe Greenhill).
Winged Victory by VM Yeates (this is a novel, but it is largely autobiographical and is one of the sources of inspiration for the movie Aces High along with Journey's End and Sagittarius Rising, which are also both well worth readinbg too by the way).
Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker (another great book by someone who was there and of course was the US top ace of WW1, it's a remarkably honest book and quite moving as well as exciting).
Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps by James McCudden (Another great autobiography of WW1 flight by one of the premier pilots of rhe RFC, and a great friend and rival to Mannock, this is well worth a read, as McCudden was not a priveleged upper class pilot, but instead an air mechanic who graduated to flying through merit. A great period piece)

Some WW2:
Wing Leader by James E 'Johnnie' Johnson (Without doubt, the best book by a WW2 fighter pilot and a fantastic fast-paced read to boot. Nobody who is interested in WW2 fighters should be without this book)
I flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knocke (republished recently by Greenhill paperbacks, this is an interesting book by a Luftwaffe fighter pilot)
The sky my kingdom by Hanna Reitsch (another Greenhill book, this is a great read and an unusual one tow in that it is by the world famous female German test pilot herself, a woman who flew almost every Luftwaffe type including the Me163 Komet, so she wasn't short on guts!)
Enemy Coast Ahead by Guy Gibson VC (What else do you need to say, it's a classic, by the famous 'Dambuster' himself)
Nine Lives by Al Deere (a wonderful book by another fighter legend and one everyone should have)
JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald Caldwell (this is a history of the famous German fighter squadron, very in depth it is too)
Spitfire on my tail by Ulrich Steinhilpher (A great book by one of the unfortunate Luftwaffe pilots who was on the receiving end of some bullets from a Spitfire and ended up a POW, it documents his training and frustrations with dealing with 'The spaniards' of the Luftwaffe. an interesting insight into the air war from the German viewpoint).
The most dangerous enemy: A history of the Battle of Britain by Dr Stephen Bungay (This is an up to date commentary on the Battle of Britain which dispells many of the propaganda myths that have been trotted out over the years about that famous battle. It's clearly going to becoime the standard work on the battle, it really is that good. Brilliantly researched, well written, easy to follow, educational, and of course, highly recommended!)

That should empty your wallet for a while...:rotfl:

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 10-21-07 at 05:10 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote