SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-12, 01:55 PM   #1
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 0

Default History of the Korean War

Recently got a hankering for some history on the Korean War, so picked up a copy of The Korean War 1950-1953 by Brian Catchpole (ISBN 978-1-84901-547-9). I don't really intend to review the book at great length, but since I had never before had an interest in the war I will say that Catchpole's extensive summary filled me in on what I had ignored for so long, and left me hungering dearly for more. I was stunned time and time again by the sheer volume of losses suffered by both sides; particularly during the tenuous UN defence of (and eventual breakout from) Pusan in the early weeks of the conflict, and also during the hellish fighting that took place along what eventually became the present-day border between the two Koreas. Additionally, Catchpole endeavors to explain in his book some of the mechanisms behind public opinion at the time, which helped me understand why the Korean War is so often called the "Forgotten War". (Not so much a forgotten war as it was a war that took place when the world was still winding down from WWII. )

As a newcomer to this chapter of military history I feel that this book really opened my eyes to a war that had always been something of a mystery to me. Overall it left me in a sort of profound and thoughtful state of shock with even more questions in mind than answers. A well-executed book that will probably never leave my collection; I highly recommend it.

Are there any other Korean War books you guys would recommend? I think I might start a small personal library on the subject.

Last edited by krashkart; 01-14-12 at 07:08 AM.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 05:25 PM   #2
bottomcrawler
Mate

Downloads: 15

I personally regard the Korean War as part of WW2, and since the Korean conflict technically still hasn't ended, then really, WW2 hasn't either...

Anyway, you might want to check out Max Hastings' book, also named "The Korean War".

bottomcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:14 PM   #3
Wxman
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have an immense respect for the troops that fought in Korea. The outcome IMHO is entirely due to treasonous and traitorous activities within the highest echelons of the UN.

IMHO one of the most heroic struggles occured at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir

What these troops went through is staggering. Its mind blowing to consider the hardships endured considering how well the troops are equiped today.
Old 01-29-12, 10:49 AM   #4
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

Andrew Salmons: To the last round, is in my mind the best Korean war book. It follows the British 29th infantry brigade, which my granddad was a member of. It seems the most accurate and its not just a list of battles and dates but connect with the soldiers in the unit.
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 04:46 AM   #5
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Ok, I'm a little late but I can recommend

"Korea - The First War We Lost" by Bevin Alexander

It is a very readable and balanced accounting of this often forgotten conflict...although it had such big implications on history - also on my country (trigger for re-armament and integration in NATO).
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 05:06 PM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I've always been interested in the air war. Since the end of the Cold War, a lot of great books have come out about the Russian pilots.

Old 04-10-12, 09:11 PM   #7
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

I just finished Allan R. Millet's The War For Korea, 1950-1951: They Came From The North. It's more of an analysis of how and why things were done the way they were done. I think he did a pretty good job of unraveling the intricacies of policy and pride, while still telling the story of the guys who fought. He is fair to all sides and parties who were involved in the war. There is one more book in his series that I have to read (it covers 1945-50), and I hope that at some point he manages to cover 1951-53. I'll probably use his books as a benchmark to draw from when I read other books on the subject.

The next in line is The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstein. He was a journalist on the ground in Vietnam. When he started his research into the Korean War he was surprised to find 88 books in his local library covering the Vietnam War, but only four books covering the Korean War. So far the first chapter is interesting. I think he is covering this from a more ground-and-up perspective. The story he tells begins with the 1st Cav at Unsan, just before the Chinese struck... when everything was so quiet it made a man's neck hairs stand on end.
Old 04-10-12, 10:11 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I've always been interested in the air war. Since the end of the Cold War, a lot of great books have come out about the Russian pilots.
Then I feel I must refer you to one of the great unsung movies:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunters-Ro...4113854&sr=1-2

Coo-coo, Daddio!

Oh, and http://www.amazon.com/The-Bridges-To...4114119&sr=8-1
Old 04-11-12, 12:52 PM   #9
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

The Coldest War by James Brady is an excellent read.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Coldest-Wa.../dp/0312265115

It doesn't get much better then a personal memoir by someone who lived it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 06:41 PM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
Recently got a hankering for some history on the Korean War, so picked up a copy of The Korean War 1950-1953 by Brian Catchpole (ISBN 978-1-84901-547-9). I don't really intend to review the book at great length, but since I had never before had an interest in the war I will say that Catchpole's extensive summary filled me in on what I had ignored for so long, and left me hungering dearly for more. I was stunned time and time again by the sheer volume of losses suffered by both sides; particularly during the tenuous UN defence of (and eventual breakout from) Pusan in the early weeks of the conflict, and also during the hellish fighting that took place along what eventually became the present-day border between the two Koreas. Additionally, Catchpole endeavors to explain in his book some of the mechanisms behind public opinion at the time, which helped me understand why the Korean War is so often called the "Forgotten War". (Not so much a forgotten war as it was a war that took place when the world was still winding down from WWII. )

As a newcomer to this chapter of military history I feel that this book really opened my eyes to a war that had always been something of a mystery to me. Overall it left me in a sort of profound and thoughtful state of shock with even more questions in mind than answers. A well-executed book that will probably never leave my collection; I highly recommend it.

Are there any other Korean War books you guys would recommend? I think I might start a small personal library on the subject.

There's a picture of my dad in this book: in the first group of photos he is the NAAFI truck driver Roy Williams. I have Dad's original book, which contains a letter from Brian Catchpole thanking him for the use of the photo (I've posted it probably more than once elsewhere on the forum in the past).

The ISBN no. seems to have changed; my copy was printed in 2000 by Constable, and the number in it is ISBN 0-09-480230-0

Tags
korean war