Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-18, 08:29 PM   #1
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Default Amazon says it has more than 100 million Prime members

Quote:
Chief Executive officer Jeff Bezos informed shareholders Amazon Music now has tens of millions of paid customers, with Amazon Music Unlimited expanding to more than 30 new countries in 2017.[
Quote:
Bezos said Prime Now, a service that offers free delivery within two hours, is now available in more than 50 cities spanning nine countries.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...KBN1HP36Y?il=0

That's a lot.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 09:06 PM   #2
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
I'm certainly one of them. Sure they have alot of stupid left wing political nonesense on it. But you do get access to alot of good things.

I wouldn't join Prime for the Movies, not many movies they've included with Prime that I'm impressed with, new or old.

But they do offer alot of other type of entertainment. I like to watch Documentary style videos, and love traveling down Conspiracy Theory rabbit holes. There is alot of them available with Prime, from both points of view, which is always welcome.

They also give access to alot of Amazon Original content. I'm currently binging "Bosch", and am extremely impressed with it thus far. "The Grand Tour", which is the "Top Gear" crew but not having to deal with the Nanny BBC pansies, is also a blast and open for Prime members.

It's worth it to me, and far cheaper than Cable or Satellite, and I get to chose what I watch and when.

I'm not overly thrilled with Amazon's political ideals, but they seem far more middle of the road than say YouTube, or Google, and any pay service they might offer. I can give them credit for allowing a diversity of ideas, which is the only diversity that matters. So in that respect, I give them two big thumbs up.

Anyone on the fence about it, should give it a shot just to check it out. You won't be out an arm and a leg.
Old 04-19-18, 05:10 AM   #3
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Yea so what, they can have a Trillion members and I will still not be interested.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 10:47 AM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I'm on the thirty day free trial.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 12:41 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Nothing in it of interest for me. And it would also help to create a major player too strong for orindray competitors to survive. Competition needs competitors.

As a matter of fact I have made it a habit to order a lot of things NOT at Amazon anymore. Not because their service is bad, it isn't, in fact its exceptionally good. I just want them not to be so powerful and influential as they already are. And their dark sides show in the way they abuse and exploit market place traders.
Old 04-20-18, 03:08 AM   #6
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Love my Prime.

Movies, music, and 2 day shipping. I have a student prime account (legitimately), and it's half price. Considering I do probably 90% of my shopping through amazon, Im ahead on the shipping costs alone.

Plus I can stream or download from their video service.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 10:44 AM   #7
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Jeff Bezos Boosts Fortune by $12 Billion in a Day on Amazon Surge

Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, got a lot richer Thursday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-sales-surge

Amazon to Increase U.S. Prime Annual Fee to $119, Up From $99

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...rs-1202789280/

After 30 day trial I will cancel

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 12:08 PM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I have been a prime member since first offering. Amazon has saved me thousands of hours in time not needing to go to the stores for items. In fact, the only store I frequent is the hardware store. Further, I'm offered many choices with associated reviews. I receive items in 1 day most times as I'm near the distribution center. Usually no more than 2 days. I watch videos and download music. Amazon is a wonderful time saving business for me. I really don't know how I lived without it.
Old 04-27-18, 12:08 PM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

I just saw that and was wondering how this would change things for Prime people. I had thought about it, but I can afford to wait.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 12:14 PM   #10
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

Absolutely worth the expense for me. Amazon saves me time, money on gas, wear and tear on a car going from store to store and helpful reviews that keep me from buying products that just don't work as claimed. The multitude of choices for each product is unprecedented. When I need something my first thought is Amazon. 1-2 days later it is at my door. Plus, I get videos to watch.

I buy from Amazon no less than 1-3 times a week and it is certainly integrated into my life thus the increase in the fee I'm ok with.
Old 04-27-18, 12:46 PM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've had Prime for several years now. When it was $79 it was well worth it. When it went up to $99 it was still sort of worth it. $119? I live on a fixed income and as far as I'm concerned they just priced themselves out of the market.

I mostly go through Amazon just to support SubSim. I'll continue to compare prices and buy through Amazon when they have the best prices, but I doubt I'll have Prime again.
Old 04-27-18, 02:29 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Absolutely worth the expense for me. Amazon saves me time, money on gas, wear and tear on a car going from store to store and helpful reviews that keep me from buying products that just don't work as claimed. The multitude of choices for each product is unprecedented. When I need something my first thought is Amazon. 1-2 days later it is at my door. Plus, I get videos to watch.

I buy from Amazon no less than 1-3 times a week and it is certainly integrated into my life thus the increase in the fee I'm ok with.
Sounds like a horror story by Ray Bradbury to me. Reminds me of "The Predestrian". Be sure they don't save you your life, wear and tear on bones, muscles and angles, and all that oxygen spent.

And when ordinary small local shops and businesses go out of business, the towns necessarily must - and do - start looking deserted. Its a sight to be seen everywhere in Germany. This started to worry me some years ago when I realised that more and more items of ordinary life I must not look for at town anymore, for I knew there would not be a store selling them anymore anyway. It was then when I started to reduce by Amazon buying.

Also, dirty it is how they play with their marketplace sellers. First they invite third parties to advertise and sell via Amazon, and cash ion that, then they analyse this market evaluation done by marketplace sellers for them (and mind you, Amazon gets the data plus a fee), and when they realise some marketplace seller has a profitable idea or an itekm Amazon cpouold profitably sell itself, they start to make life miserable for him (for example by delaying payment transfers), and start to establish that business and product themselves - outpricing the marketplace seller.

Thats as dirty as it can become. I would never use Amazon marketplace, if I were a business man. Its as if I would ask them to be allowed paying them a fee for abusing and finally executing me.

For cutsomer, Amazion is nice and well, its great, yes. But behind the curtain, its establishing a market-dominating power that distorts the whole market and in the end, if we allow it to go that far, will prevent free market from functioning. Depending on just one or two main contractors for your vital needs, never is a good thing. It makes you extremely vulnerable, and weak - and them horrifyingly strong and powerful.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-27-18 at 02:41 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 03:49 PM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Like anything else, it depends on the customer.

We save more in shipping then the cost of the membership so it is still a good deal for us.

Anything extra like the streaming stuff is just icing on the cake.
Old 04-28-18, 06:26 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Just that there are longterm social and economical follow-on costs. And I am not about the rainforest.
Old 04-28-18, 08:05 AM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
I'm certainly one of them. Sure they have alot of stupid left wing political nonesense on it. But you do get access to alot of good things.

I wouldn't join Prime for the Movies, not many movies they've included with Prime that I'm impressed with, new or old.

But they do offer alot of other type of entertainment. I like to watch Documentary style videos, and love traveling down Conspiracy Theory rabbit holes. There is alot of them available with Prime, from both points of view, which is always welcome.

They also give access to alot of Amazon Original content. I'm currently binging "Bosch", and am extremely impressed with it thus far. "The Grand Tour", which is the "Top Gear" crew but not having to deal with the Nanny BBC pansies, is also a blast and open for Prime members.

It's worth it to me, and far cheaper than Cable or Satellite, and I get to chose what I watch and when.

I'm not overly thrilled with Amazon's political ideals, but they seem far more middle of the road than say YouTube, or Google, and any pay service they might offer. I can give them credit for allowing a diversity of ideas, which is the only diversity that matters. So in that respect, I give them two big thumbs up.

Anyone on the fence about it, should give it a shot just to check it out. You won't be out an arm and a leg.

Nice summary, I feel the same way. One thing cannot be ignored, Bezos certainly had a vision, stuck to it, and knew where he was going with Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Just that there are longterm social and economical follow-on costs. And I am not about the rainforest.

That's true. Amazon is so big and smart now, it sucks all the O2 out of the room for many other vendors. But like Warhawk said, it's pretty hard to justify spending more time and cash to fight it. I will buy from non-Amazon frequently, when it's close in price.