SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-08, 10:43 AM   #16
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

sounds great!
have you thought about exploiting the music player to add in more ambient background DAS BOOT sounds..crew chatter ...drips those sort of clips from the film

reason i think this is an interesting approach is that the SH3 music player is dynamicaly tied to the in game events...in that it will play one sound file whilst you are simply cruising along..another whilst you are stalking a convoy (how does it know that's the fun part!) and yet another sound file whilst you are attacking or being attacked..

all without interupting the normal game sound files commands engine noise pings etc etc..

this way you can have the ambient crew chatter etc file actualy change according to the situation you are in during play...
when you think about it this is pretty interesting stuff...

to edit you just go to the music.cfg in the sound/music folder
and it shows the diffetrent situations and which files get played in those situations...here's an example

[GENERAL]
CertainityTime=1
MinDuration=200
FadeTime=200

[STATES]
States=8
State1=BEGIN
State2=NORMAL
State3=BATTLE
State4=TENSION
State5=HIGH TENSION
State6=VICTORY
State7=DEFEAT
State8=JOY

[BEGIN]
Tracks=3
Track1=Intro_1_Master.ogg
Track2=Intro_2_Master.ogg
Track3=Intro_3_Master.ogg
[NORMAL]
Tracks=11
Track1=Stalker_1.ogg
Track2=Stalker_2.ogg
Track3=Stalker_3.ogg
Track4=Stalker_4.ogg
Track5=Stalker_5.ogg
Track6=Stalker_6.ogg
Track7=Stalker_1_Mix.ogg
Track8=Stalker_2_Mix.ogg
Track9=Stalker_3_Mix.ogg
Track10=Stalker_4_Mix.ogg
Track11=Stalker_5_Mix.ogg

it has been pointed out that the sound files will of course also play whilst you are in the external view and during next ship extravaganzas
but then so do the crew voices when you issue a command...etc so it's no more bizaare than stock when all said and done..

and you have 8 different types of situation to exploit (they do work!)

[STATES]
States=8
State1=BEGIN
State2=NORMAL
State3=BATTLE
State4=TENSION
State5=HIGH TENSION
State6=VICTORY
State7=DEFEAT
State8=JOY

just a possible way to make use of a usualu neglected fascinating feature of the game:hmm:

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 10:47 AM   #17
Redfox11
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB..
sounds great!
have you thought about exploiting the music player to add in more ambient background DAS BOOT sounds..crew chatter ...drips those sort of clips from the film

reason i think this is an interesting approach is that the SH3 music player is dynamicaly tied to the in game events...in that it will play one sound file whilst you are simply cruising along..another whilst you are stalking a convoy (how does it know that's the fun part!) and yet another sound file whilst you are attacking or being attacked..

all without interupting the normal game sound files commands engine noise pings etc etc..

this way you can have the ambient crew chatter etc file actualy change according to the situation you are in during play...

to edit you just go to the music.cfg in the sound/music folder
and it shows the diffetrent situations and which files get played in those situations...here's an example

[GENERAL]
CertainityTime=1
MinDuration=200
FadeTime=200

[STATES]
States=8
State1=BEGIN
State2=NORMAL
State3=BATTLE
State4=TENSION
State5=HIGH TENSION
State6=VICTORY
State7=DEFEAT
State8=JOY

[BEGIN]
Tracks=3
Track1=Intro_1_Master.ogg
Track2=Intro_2_Master.ogg
Track3=Intro_3_Master.ogg
[NORMAL]
Tracks=11
Track1=Stalker_1.ogg
Track2=Stalker_2.ogg
Track3=Stalker_3.ogg
Track4=Stalker_4.ogg
Track5=Stalker_5.ogg
Track6=Stalker_6.ogg
Track7=Stalker_1_Mix.ogg
Track8=Stalker_2_Mix.ogg
Track9=Stalker_3_Mix.ogg
Track10=Stalker_4_Mix.ogg
Track11=Stalker_5_Mix.ogg

it has been pointed out that the sound files will of course also play whilst you are in the external view and during next ship extravaganzas
but then so do the crew voices when you issue a command...etc so it's no more bizaare than stock when all said and done..

and you have 8 different types of situation to exploit (they do work!)

[STATES]
States=8
State1=BEGIN
State2=NORMAL
State3=BATTLE
State4=TENSION
State5=HIGH TENSION
State6=VICTORY
State7=DEFEAT
State8=JOY

just a possible way to make use of a usualu neglected fascinating feature of the game:hmm:

Hey! Interesting stuff CB..
Old 03-15-08, 12:18 PM   #18
CB..
Ace of the Deep

cheers redfox
one trick i am using with the music is to replace some of the stock music files with silent "tracks"..as the game randomly selects one music file to play from the list for each situation and also plays them in a random order (another huge factor in it's favour) this means that the music comes and goes preventing it from getting tiresome..

on the DAS BOOT side the application for that idea would be to have most of the sound files for the non combat situations set to silent "tracks"...so that only during combat situations would you get the ambient background DB sound file playing...this means generaly that only whilst you are submerged would you hear the interior crew chatter etc..which of course would change to match DC attacks...periods of undetected slaking of a convoy. etc etc..allowing for fully dynamic and multi layered DB sounds !
apologies to sailor steve for the intrusion ..hope i haven't detracted for the thread here..

W.B.Yeats
Old 03-15-08, 04:29 PM   #19
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36

Thanks for doing this!

I'm having some trouble though - not very sophisticated in these things. Which folder do I place in MODS before using JGSME? I've played with it a few different ways, and all I managed to do was to lose all speech!

EDIT: Based on SH3 Commander warnings, it may be that I juggled some settings in SH3C that are causing the sound to go away. Hold yer horses, as Grandma would say.

EDIT: Yup, works great now that I have reset TC for particle rendering and character animations in SH3C to their original values. Thanks again Steve.

Last edited by Rykaird; 03-15-08 at 06:05 PM.
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 06:07 PM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:

No, I've never even thought of that. It's brilliant! I hated having background music so I just dumped mine out, and never thought about it again. I'll look into it, but I don't have a decent sound extractor for DVDs yet, so it will be awhile. I also have been planning to make an expanded version, based on the 5-hour version of the movie and using SH3 Commander's randomizer to have, say, different crash dive files all available, so you don't know what you're going to get. There are also different engine orders I can use.

But this...this is something else entirely! Maybe you should do it, as it will be some time before I can even experiment. But if nobody else does it, experiment I will!

Quote:
apologies to sailor steve for the intrusion ..hope i haven't detracted for the thread here..
I think I've already answered that...:rotfl:

Thanks, CB!

Oh, and Rykaird: I'm glad you got it working.
Old 03-15-08, 06:46 PM   #21
CB..
Ace of the Deep

he he! cheers Steve

i keep meaning to knock something up to show the thing in action ..i'm sure once folks heard it in action they will wonder how they got along without it lol!
trouble for me is that i find ogg files tricky to work with...and i'm on a modem...
so large sound packs would be impossible to up-load !

W.B.Yeats
Old 03-15-08, 07:31 PM   #22
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

If you can put the files together as .wav or any other format) and get them to me somehow, I can convert them to .ogg and get them uploaded, no problem.
Old 03-15-08, 08:59 PM   #23
Gairith
Planesman

Downloads: 4

Quote:
he he! cheers Steve

i keep meaning to knock something up to show the thing in action ..i'm sure once folks heard it in action they will wonder how they got along without it lol!
trouble for me is that i find ogg files tricky to work with...and i'm on a modem...
so large sound packs would be impossible to up-load !
http://easeaudioconverter.com/

Will convert to .ogg format

GWX 2.1 - SH3 Commander 3.2 - OLC Ubermod 2.4.2
-
DiD
Gairith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 12:13 AM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I use www.goldwave.com
Old 03-16-08, 07:19 AM   #25
Barbac
Helmsman

Downloads: 21

Hi folks,
Wonderful job Sailor.Steve you did

Btw, one stupid question: does this mod can be used with GWX2.0 running and are there any know incompatibilties with other sounds mods ?
If I do understand it well, the many Das Boot sounds will come only in battle situation (destroyer, torpedoes launching etc ...) ?

Thx Kaleuns
BArbac
Barbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 01:51 PM   #26
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Sound files replace other sound files and can be used with any mod, so there's no problem with GWX or any other mod. This also means that it is compatible and incompatible with other sound mods. That means that it won't cause a crash, but you can only have one or the other--unless you mix them together yourself.

I do recommend backing up the old one; you never know when you're going to hear one you don't like and wish for the old one back.

Yes, each file in the game is specific to the situation. Instead of "Torpedo pfeffer!" you'll hear the yelling; instead of "Torpedo vesaga!" you'll here "...verDAMMT!" I won't say what else you'll hear; that should be a surprise.
Old 03-16-08, 03:22 PM   #27
CB..
Ace of the Deep

cheers guys i have goldwave at the moment so i can have a go...but to be fair i don't have any DB sound files for myself...so i reckon i'd best leave it for the moment to Steve he's the man with Das files..
i've just allways found the Sh3 music player set up fascinating and often wondered why it hadn't been exploited to the hilt...

W.B.Yeats
Old 03-17-08, 03:31 AM   #28
Barbac
Helmsman

Thx for the reply Sailor.Steve

Then I guess I have now to wait for the stereo / mono files problem you have found to be solved ?
I think you made a very good job cause using the Das Boot audio sequences is by far a great idea.
"Yes, each file in the game is specific to the situation"
Sometimes ant thanks to you modders, I just wonder when SH3 and GWX will stop to be such a source of great inspiration ... hope never !
I have discovered the game only a few months ago and everytime I leave port for a new patrol, it looks like a great experience to enjoy. Immersion is the key word and this game has now reached such a realism. So thanks again to all of you for making this game such a masterpiece

Keep on the very good work

Barbac
Old 03-17-08, 04:07 AM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbac
Thx for the reply Sailor.Steve

Then I guess I have now to wait for the stereo / mono files problem you have found to be solved ?
I think you made a very good job cause using the Das Boot audio sequences is by far a great idea.
"Yes, each file in the game is specific to the situation"
Sometimes ant thanks to you modders, I just wonder when SH3 and GWX will stop to be such a source of great inspiration ... hope never !
I have discovered the game only a few months ago and everytime I leave port for a new patrol, it looks like a great experience to enjoy. Immersion is the key word and this game has now reached such a realism. So thanks again to all of you for making this game such a masterpiece

Keep on the very good work

Barbac
The GWX Team take fuel from comments such as yours

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 04:20 AM   #30
Barbac
Helmsman

You're most welcome Jimbuna.
Everytime I load GWX and carry on my patrol, I thank the GWX team and modders for the tremendous gaming experience !
Sometimes I feel like it would be so great to really meet you guys
We should rent a pub at the crossroads of states, countries or continents and have a huge fiesta there with all Kaleuns

Barbac