SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-08, 02:13 AM   #166
Ivan Putski
Captain

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Just got caught in a thick fog on the surface by a convoys lead destroyer. Most fun I`ve had in years, as I got up close, and personal with your destroyer sounds. I crash dived, and was at 19 meters when the bastage came roaring over me. He dropped his dc`s right on top of me, most exploded well below my depth, I went silent, and deep. His next run was right on, and I took damage, all the associated sounds were great, and gave so much immersion to the scene.

I had set SHIII Commander to random crush depth, and was shocked when I found myself at 258 meters with a badly damaged boat, the creaks, and moans certainly fitted the situation to a "T", as well as the flooding sounds, great work there. Long story made short, I evaded the destroyer, and was able to finally surface the boat, and limp back to base. Thanks for your hard work PT, this versions a keeper. Puts
Old 05-19-08, 02:40 AM   #167
steinbeck
Frogman

Downloads: 808

"same old sounds since you start playing SH3, while all the other parts of the game are updated by mods in a daily basis". to quote!

It appears that this Sound Pack is for SH3! Is that correct? I have d/l anyway as I can always install Sh3 as well.

If it will run on SH4, I have installed, will it run with these?
PE 3.3+patch
NSM
RFB 1.5+patch
RSDRC

Thanks Anyway

steinbeck....:hmm:
steinbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 04:29 AM   #168
999-Jay-999
Loader

Downloads: 10

A sound pack first timer Skivy Rat here...

Looking forward in rocking my ears with this..

Old 05-19-08, 05:37 AM   #169
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbeck
"same old sounds since you start playing SH3, while all the other parts of the game are updated by mods in a daily basis". to quote!

It appears that this Sound Pack is for SH3! Is that correct? I have d/l anyway as I can always install Sh3 as well.

If it will run on SH4, I have installed, will it run with these?
PE 3.3+patch
NSM
RFB 1.5+patch
RSDRC

Thanks Anyway

steinbeck....:hmm:
It's a sound pack... will run with anything!
Old 05-19-08, 05:38 AM   #170
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
Hi!

I just tried the mod and I must say that I enjoy it very much! The new periscope hydraulic sound is badass.... it makes my U-Boat sound more agressive, like a high tech destroyer buster!

there is only one point which I would have to critique, I thought the creaking and cranking sounds were very loud and also too frequent. They come every five seconds or so... even if I'm not changing depth.
Is there any way you can change the creaking sounds so there are longer breaks in between them?

But this is just my opinion... thank you for your hard work and dedictaion!
Hum.... I'm not quite sure that this is a problem with the sound pack or with your installation... Anybody else having this problem?
Old 05-19-08, 08:26 AM   #171
Wildhawke11
Lieutenant

Downloads: 55

I dub thee Sir Philipp Thomsen.
Not played it as yet but i am sure from your previous work it will rock.
Thank You for all your hard work and again Thank You for sticking with the GWX.
Danny
Wildhawke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 08:53 AM   #172
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426

Thanks !! Thomsen - MASTER -!! Work

Last edited by Tomi_099; 05-19-08 at 09:04 AM.
Tomi_099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 01:54 PM   #173
Mr.Fleck
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
Hi!

I just tried the mod and I must say that I enjoy it very much! The new periscope hydraulic sound is badass.... it makes my U-Boat sound more agressive, like a high tech destroyer buster!

there is only one point which I would have to critique, I thought the creaking and cranking sounds were very loud and also too frequent. They come every five seconds or so... even if I'm not changing depth.
Is there any way you can change the creaking sounds so there are longer breaks in between them?

But this is just my opinion... thank you for your hard work and dedictaion!
Hum.... I'm not quite sure that this is a problem with the sound pack or with your installation... Anybody else having this problem?

Thank you Thomsen for this great sound mod!

I agree with Schwuppes, the creaks appear too loud and too frequent. But it's nice to hear they are more varied than before. I think in real life these sounds were very rare or at least not very loud, else I think a destroyer would not have had a hard time to discover the submerged boat. In "Das Boot" Buchheim writes while under attack by a destroyer, that for minutes he did hear nothing except the water drops falling into the bilge and some of the crew whispering.

Don't get me wrong compared to the rest of your work this is just a very minor issue and I was never on a submerged boat, so I may be wrong.

Cheers!
Mr. Fleck

Newest addition:
"Fate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-aoj-kWazs
Mr.Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 02:17 PM   #174
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45

Hi PT, thanks a lot!! it's a very nice improvment from your previous version. I like very much the destroyer sound when it comes over me.... And finally we have a long interior ambient sound!

anyway i noticed what other people did, maybe the crackling sounds are too frequent..:hmm: I was attacked by DDs, and in silent running i was creaking a lot!

anyway... GREAT JOB again!!

s

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 05:05 PM   #175
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Ok... I know what is happening... I've made a lot of changes, but my game is not working, my computer sucks, so I don't know how they sound like ingame. That's why I need feedback.

I'll be posting a fix for that, more space between creak sounds and tweak each one to half of the volume.

Will be uploading it in some hours!
Old 05-19-08, 05:28 PM   #176
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Default New Version!

Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.1 is online at my FileFront page!

The new version have very important corrections on the creak sounds:

1 - They now aren't so frequent, have a delay between items and plus a random delay over that.
2 - Their volume was cut down to half of the original amplitude, all 47 files.

Enable it via JSGME as the original sound pack.

THIS IS A COMPLEMENT TO THE SOUND PACK V3, NOT THE WHOLE FILE! For now I'll keep this as a complement, when I reach a acceptable point on this, I'll put together with the sound pack and upload as one single file. It's pretty large, 6 hours of upload, so doesn't makes sense to keep uploading all again each time I change something.

First enable the sound pack, then this on top of it, or replace the files into the original sound pack and enable it again.

I'll update post #1 with this aswell...

Now you guys must test it and report back to BDU, as my game is not working, so I can't test it myself. I found that the reason that the creaks were so loud is that my volume was very low when I was producing them. Now I've set my volume to the normal I used to play the game, and it sounds more acceptable, but still if you're not satisfied, it can be changed again, that's why feedback is so important!
Old 05-19-08, 06:24 PM   #177
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

I just want to thanks everybody here, I'm getting a lot of support, after only two days, almost 400 downloads, people are saying kind words and voting 5 stars for the thread rating.... This is much more then what I've expected... It's so good to see your hard work appreciated by the comunity, thank you all!
Old 05-19-08, 07:05 PM   #178
Torp III
Gunner

Downloads: 94
Thank You

P. T., As always you have produced another GREAT sound mod, only had a chance to play it yesterday for maybe 2 hours and I know I didn't hear everything. When the engine room door opened while I was submerged didn't bother me a bit cause that gave me a chance to get rid of Benard for a while. I told him to go back to the engine room and tell the mechanics to work on the batteries cause they where making to much noise while running Thanks again for another GREAT sound mod.

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Torp III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 10:03 PM   #179
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torp III
P. T., As always you have produced another GREAT sound mod, only had a chance to play it yesterday for maybe 2 hours and I know I didn't hear everything. When the engine room door opened while I was submerged didn't bother me a bit cause that gave me a chance to get rid of Benard for a while. I told him to go back to the engine room and tell the mechanics to work on the batteries cause they where making to much noise while running Thanks again for another GREAT sound mod.

You have to agree with me... there's no way to please both submerged and surfaced ambient sound to perfection... this is as good as it gets!
Old 05-19-08, 11:21 PM   #180
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

ok you talked me into it I'll give you 5 stars hehehe. Thanks for the update. I originally didn't find anything wrong with the noise?

Last edited by Wolfehunter; 05-19-08 at 11:54 PM.
Wolfehunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living