SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-19, 11:37 AM   #1
tn_prvteye
Watch

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 0
Default Question about Gato submerged configuration.

I asked this on the Submarine Models Facebook Group, but I figured I'd ask here as well (instead of cluttering up the Facebook page).

I'm thinking of finishing my 1/72 Gato in a Submerged diorama. What changes will I need to make? One user suggested removing the Stanchions and lifelines as well as the flagstaffs. Which would make my life alot easier. But what about the aerial lines from the tower to the stern?

I also see that the Gato version of the kit has the prop guards from the earlier versions. Were there any instances with the cut down fairwater still keeping the guards? I've got the Warship Pictorial on the Gato and the "In Action" books, but can't really tell by the photos.

Sorry for the stupid questions...I'm usually an airplane guy. Still new to Sub Models.
tn_prvteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 06:57 PM   #2
The Kraken Wakes
Watch

Downloads: 5
Default well done

Hi,
I think your attention to detail is fantastic.
This is probably obvious to a man of your experience, but make sure the diveplanes are correct. Likely to be extended if submerged.
A kick on the rudder might make it more realistic.
Perhaps some patches of rust ? Bow caps open ready to shoot, or shut ?
A torpedo just leaving the tube ?

I have an aquarium model I want to build but no idea where to start.
You remember in the Godfather when Sonny says "What's this" as he unwraps a parcel of fish wrapped in a bulletproof vest. And Robert Duvall says"..it means Luca Brasi is sleeping with the fishes"
I want to have a little gangster figure wrapped in chains on a bedstead. Then I put it in the aquarium. Ideas for making this ?
The Kraken Wakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 09:59 PM   #3
tn_prvteye
Watch

Downloads: 108

Thought about doing the torpedo thing...but a bit too much work for me, I'm afraid. I AM going to mount one of those Wave LED Lights above it so it shines down on the model...making it look like the light is shining down on it from the surface.

For your "gangster" diorama, there are plenty of figures to choose from...and you can use a chain necklace for scale chains.
tn_prvteye is offline   Reply With Quote