SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-19, 03:27 PM   #1
Bangoo
Seaman

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default U-Boats Patrols Statistic

During the work on my project I have made a research on the U-Boats patrol areas.

Germany had gone to war in September 1939 with 57 U-boats, but only 26 of them were oceangoing boats.
Type II – 31
Type VII – 19
Type IX – 7

Diagrams show that type VII U-Boats most of all were assigned to North Atlantic (65,9%) and Spain (19,5%).
Type II U-Boats due to their short range were to operate in North Sea (66%), and type IX U-Boats were sent to distant areas – Spain, Bay of Biscay and Gibraltar.

In the next posts I’ll publish the information on the Patrol's effectiveness in the beginning of the war (1939) and compare the results with 1940 patrols data.

Grey Wolf - U-Boat browser project.
Forum thread
info@uwolf.net
Bangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-19, 10:24 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I would love to see you finish this project, and finally put an end to the debate on whether or not the U-boats could’ve affectively won the battle of the Atlantic.

Some say yes others no.

I always felt it was possible. They had long shot!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 04:56 AM   #3
Bangoo
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
I would love to see you finish this project, and finally put an end to the debate on whether or not the U-boats could’ve affectively won the battle of the Atlantic.

Some say yes others no.

I always felt it was possible. They had long shot!
I don't have the aim to find out if Gemany could won the battle for Atlantic. They had no chance to do it (thank God for that). The aim of the project is to follow the destiny of an ordinary U-boat commander,so I had to check where U-Boats were sent during the war.

Forum thread
info@uwolf.net
Old 05-30-19, 09:37 PM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

Very nice indeed you may also be interested if you haven’t got it already a book called u boat attack logs it’s very thick and detailed but you can get it on amazon

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 04:30 PM   #5
Bangoo
Seaman

1939 attack diagrams.

Attack diagrams do not show the number of ships sunk in 1939, they give the information on the number of attacks performed by U-boats in different patrol areas. For example, according to the Convoy attacks diagram in 1939 U-Boats engaged 18 convoys, either of which could cause sinking of several ships.
The diagrams give us information on the shipping traffic intensity in different patrol areas. The information is not 100% accurate and I'll check it when I'll have time. nevertheless, it provides an overview of the U-boats patrols statistic in 1939.

On the basis of the abovementioned diagrams the following conclusions can be made:
1. High intensity of single ship traffic (90 vs 18 convoys) characterize the 1939 year.
2. The best areas have been south of Ireland (27,8%) and North Atlantic (to the west of Ireland - 33,3%).
3. The high percentage of traffic in the North Sea is due to the fact that the North Sea was the main operational area of type II U-boats, and type VII, IX U-boats had to pass the North Sea on the way to their Patrol areas.
4. The Bay of Biscay also turned out to be rich hunting "grounds", U-boats had met there 13,3% of single ships and 16,7% of convoys.
In the next post I'll publish the statistic for the 1940 year and we shall compare the results.

Forum thread
info@uwolf.net