SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-08, 08:47 AM   #46
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
Personally I believe the silence means that SHIV modding has not really taken off yet.
You couldn't be farther from the truth with that statement.
You know that, I know that, alot of Pacific/Fleet boat fans know that. But for some people, if its not Uboats with GWX stenciled on it, it doesnt exist. If ignorance is bliss, theres some really happy folks out there.
If one does like only Uboats, naturally they want a mod that suits them. And most ppl who like Uboats, prefer the Atlantic as their operations area. There's (i think) 2 teams that have said they are doing an Atlantic mod for SHIV. Aces of the Deep & GWX (Or is Atlantic Sharks still doing theirs?).

And as for ppl who only talk about SHIV GWX, can you blame them? GWX is and was a huge mod and very popular for SHIII, naturally ppl will remember it. I know it's not fair for the other teams, but can you blame the GWX team of what the users think about it?
Old 04-07-08, 11:59 AM   #47
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Watch and learn

Competition makes everybody better. Coopetition works even better. Both will happen and we will be the winners.

I'm still working on that "most of what I say is bulletin" statement. Research has failed to provide any leads...:rotfl:
Old 04-07-08, 12:06 PM   #48
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
I've never really understood the unnecessary tension between Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter IV on the subject of modding.
Because everyone on the SH3 side is ignorant.

Quote:
But for some people, if its not Uboats with GWX stenciled on it, it doesnt exist. If ignorance is bliss, theres some really happy folks out there.

Wasn't my intention to be so blunt, but i guess your right, thats what i was saying. So, i might as well step up to the plate..

yes, theres a lot of ignorance coming from the SH3 folks.

1.) This whole "I like one side and the other is a bunch of crap" mentality is old, and gets on everyones nerves. I sometimes cope the same attitude back, but only as a response to the original prodding.

2.) In relation to point 1, a lot of people here play uboats exclusively, and are too ignorant to "Expand their horizons" ( ). They'll talk a lot of smack about something they know nothing about. Personally, i didn't want to play another uboat game in SH3, but i got informed on it anyway. I probably know as much about uboats as i do about fleetboats (if not moreso). I can't say others here on subsim are as open minded.

3.) Comments like "the modding hasn't taken off yet", In any context, get on alot of peoples nerves as well. Particuarlly when youve spent 4 or 5 hours on the game every night, or every other night, for months now. The proof that the modding has taken off is in the work thats been published, the highlights are too numberous to list. Right now im sitting on two updates to TM that i havent posted yet. When people imply nothing has been done for modding, the kneejerk reaction is "hmm gee, WTF have i been doing for months now?!"

Which i guess leads into another point. Bragging. For the most part, folks don't do too much of that here. At least, not in a fashion to say, "look how much better my mod is over the other ones!". The modding community here is not the cutthroat compedative world that SH3's was, (or is? :hmm: ), but an open source, collaborative effort. So your not going to see a whole lot of , "Sneak peek" posts.

At any rate, im tired of all this. I dont expect the ignorance level to change here anytime soon. So all im trying to do now, is finish my work so i can back away from all of this crap. I'll have my game that ive been waiting 12 years for, and to me, thats all that matters in the end - not the typical subsim.com school yard antics.
Old 04-07-08, 12:23 PM   #49
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
3.) Comments like "the modding hasn't taken off yet",
I was the one who made that statement, and it was stupid. Ok? If I was in your shoes I would be pissed off too.

But it was never meant that way. The thread has meandered and I was actually responding to a statement of RR that it is quiet in here because SHIV modders are too busy.

And besides I really don't see much of a confrontation. It was only by the reactions to my postings in this thread that I noticed something might be wrong. I am really only postponing SHIV because I need better hardware, and I am looking forward to using TM / RW, and the other SHIV goodness.

And I wanted to let off some smart ass comments because I have tinkered with my games for at least 15 years.

Old 04-07-08, 12:38 PM   #50
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Hell hath no fury like a modder scorned.
Old 04-07-08, 02:16 PM   #51
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
I've never really understood the unnecessary tension between Silent Hunter III and Silent Hunter IV on the subject of modding.
Because everyone on the SH3 side is ignorant.

Quote:
But for some people, if its not Uboats with GWX stenciled on it, it doesnt exist. If ignorance is bliss, theres some really happy folks out there.
Wasn't my intention to be so blunt, but i guess your right, thats what i was saying. So, i might as well step up to the plate..

yes, theres a lot of ignorance coming from the SH3 folks.

1.) This whole "I like one side and the other is a bunch of crap" mentality is old, and gets on everyones nerves. I sometimes cope the same attitude back, but only as a response to the original prodding.

2.) In relation to point 1, a lot of people here play uboats exclusively, and are too ignorant to "Expand their horizons" ( ). They'll talk a lot of smack about something they know nothing about. Personally, i didn't want to play another uboat game in SH3, but i got informed on it anyway. I probably know as much about uboats as i do about fleetboats (if not moreso). I can't say others here on subsim are as open minded.

3.) Comments like "the modding hasn't taken off yet", In any context, get on alot of peoples nerves as well. Particuarlly when youve spent 4 or 5 hours on the game every night, or every other night, for months now. The proof that the modding has taken off is in the work thats been published, the highlights are too numberous to list. Right now im sitting on two updates to TM that i havent posted yet. When people imply nothing has been done for modding, the kneejerk reaction is "hmm gee, WTF have i been doing for months now?!"

Which i guess leads into another point. Bragging. For the most part, folks don't do too much of that here. At least, not in a fashion to say, "look how much better my mod is over the other ones!". The modding community here is not the cutthroat compedative world that SH3's was, (or is? :hmm: ), but an open source, collaborative effort. So your not going to see a whole lot of , "Sneak peek" posts.

At any rate, im tired of all this. I dont expect the ignorance level to change here anytime soon. So all im trying to do now, is finish my work so i can back away from all of this crap. I'll have my game that ive been waiting 12 years for, and to me, thats all that matters in the end - not the typical subsim.com school yard antics.
Mate, with all due respect... Please, and it's almost a prayer... Grow up.

You do not like GWX because you do not appreciate the Kapitän... Good (though not appreciating the expansion just because you don't like one and only person is... a bit childish ). But please, KEEP THIS STORY FOR YOU NOW ! People have nothing to do with what happened to you. Not that people is not interested in reading what you think of GWX... But STOP LIVING IN THE PAST. You are strongly against GWX, nice. But do you think that's what's going to make us move to the pacific, or to make us leave Subsim ?
I don't think so, Ducimus.
Now, if you do not grow up, please, at least stop being unpleasant. It only shows one and only thing, unfortunately : that you still are a child and that you can not handle the presence of GWX/the GWX guys staying silent.

You're tired of all this. You couldn't even handle to see a Type VII intact, you prefer them damaged and destroyed... Ok, good. But being there is a right we all have. Please, be a man... And bear with it. You 've already told everybody that you want to finish your work on SH4, then you'll leave Subsim... You have left Subsim, don't know how many times. And you've always been back... So please, stop being rude to us/GWX.

Now, concerning the red part... I do not agree. We simply are interested in the Kriegsmarine too much to fall in love with the U.S. Navy actually, no more. What I mean is that lots of SH3 players play SH4 as well (don't have a computer able to run it myself, do I still need to mention it ? ), but they don't feel as much "concerned" sailing the Pacific as the Atlantic ocean. That's all. We Atlantic lovers respect the U.S. Navy as much as we respect the Kriegsmarine.

Also... Feel at home here, everybody does... But remember that we do not force you to visit the u-boat missions section of Subsim.

Zee ju ! :p

Respectfully,

Alex

Last edited by Alex; 04-07-08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 02:41 PM   #52
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
a lot of people here play uboats exclusively, and are too ignorant to "Expand their horizons"
Sorry Ducimus mate but thats just a "pants" comment. I like what you did with TM and said so, I also liked what you did over at SH3 and said so then. But for the life of me I have no idea why you keep stepping up to the plate, make an announcement that irks people and then announce you're leaving subsim for good when someone questions your tack. Thankfiully though you always return and I for one am always very pleased when you do cos your modding work is top notch stuff. But PLEASE dont have a go at people because they prefer the U-Boats and the atlantic campaign.....you go nuts when someone even makes a jocular comment re Fleet Boats and the Pacific Campaign...so the words kettle, pot and silly spring to mind.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-08, 03:18 PM   #53
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Quote:
a lot of people here play uboats exclusively, and are too ignorant to "Expand their horizons"
Sorry Ducimus mate but thats just a "pants" comment. I like what you did with TM and said so, I also liked what you did over at SH3 and said so then. But for the life of me I have no idea why you keep stepping up to the plate, make an announcement that irks people and then announce you're leaving subsim for good when someone questions your tack. Thankfiully though you always return and I for one am always very pleased when you do cos your modding work is top notch stuff. But PLEASE dont have a go at people because they prefer the U-Boats and the atlantic campaign.....you go nuts when someone even makes a jocular comment re Fleet Boats and the Pacific Campaign...so the words kettle, pot and silly spring to mind.

Thanks.
This is one of the best posts I have seen on SS in a while

You sir are to be complemented on your sensible, balanced and adult like response to such.....Oh never mind....bettter I don't sink to the same depth of ignorance and stupidity of a certain individual

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-07-08, 03:31 PM   #54
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I forgot to mention I have reported #34

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-07-08, 03:49 PM   #55
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

*yawn* Typical GWX forum campaign when someone says something they don't like. Fine report me. I didnt say anything to you at all, you just dont like what i said. Truth be told, you jackels are looking for ANY reason to get rid of me, so you'll jump on any opportunity to do so. The thing is - i don't care.
Old 04-07-08, 03:59 PM   #56
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
*yawn* Typical GWX forum campaign when someone says something they don't like. Fine report me. I didnt say anything to you at all, you just dont like what i said.
Doesnt this apply to you too when someone is saying something you dont like about the Fleetboats?
Old 04-07-08, 04:00 PM   #57
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Aww cmon..... first we get a rant of "Ducimus just doesnt like GWX" then we get well "Now I am gonna tell on you!". Ok this is getting out of hand. Lets all take a deep breath. Whatever history Ducimus and the GWX team have (and thankfully I neither know it nor care too), I don't know that Ducimus has ever stated he didn't like GWX. I would be willing to bet, given how much of others work he has used and adapted, that he isn't to proud to say someone besides himself did something good or well. GWX is heavily respected for SH3 - for good reason. It is an excellent mod, regardless of any single person's opinion. More importantly, whether he, or anyone else, likes GWX (or its mod team) doesnt have a thing to do with the topic. So let the past be the past.

If ya don't, expect the thread to be closed, and a decent discussion on the what ifs be closed with it. And with that said I take some measure of responsibility for starting this whole mess with my initial post, for which I offer a sincere apology to all.

With that said, it seems like there may be a major project to move sh4 capability back eastward. For those interested in such a thing, that would be grand. Perhaps there will be some announcement soon from those that know what is planned. And in the meantime, there is nothing stopping anyone from taking on the challenge of creating their own "atlantic mod". The tools needed are there, and the who to in the mod forum is a great place to start for a person or team that wants to form and attempt it.

Captain Haplo
Old 04-07-08, 04:04 PM   #58
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Ducimus, mate... Please stop saying this, you're making a fool of yourself... Do you sincerely think that you are the center of the world to us ?
Old 04-07-08, 04:06 PM   #59
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
With that said, it seems like there may be a major project to move sh4 capability back eastward. For those interested in such a thing, that would be grand. Perhaps there will be some announcement soon from those that know what is planned. And in the meantime, there is nothing stopping anyone from taking on the challenge of creating their own "atlantic mod". The tools needed are there, and the who to in the mod forum is a great place to start for a person or team that wants to form and attempt it.
GWX for SHIV is in the works already (Kpt.Lehmann mentioned it in the SHIII forums). No idea if it will be an Atlantic mod or Indian Ocean, or both, but he also said that there will be less announcements from them than was with SHIII's GWX.
Old 04-07-08, 04:07 PM   #60
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
If ya don't, expect the thread to be closed, and a decent discussion on the what ifs be closed with it. And with that said I take some measure of responsibility for starting this whole mess with my initial post, for which I offer a sincere apology to all.
Yeah I also feel bad about making my - general - statements about modding in a thread that quickly turned into a shootout about things that seem to go very deep. Had I know that before I would like to move my statements in another thread were we discuss problems and not about people.

So as I said, take it easy lads, or - as Thomsen said in das Boot - "Ruhe Im Puff!"

Closed Thread