SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-08, 01:50 PM   #16
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202
Uploads: 0

So there's absolutley no way to refil this thing at sea?
Old 03-11-08, 02:12 PM   #17
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Nope, refit won't resupply your H2O2. Need to return to port. It's even doubtful historically that a Walther u-boat could have operated out of the far-east, since H2O2 was not easy to make back then, and even more difficult to transport due to its rather explosive nature. This ain't the same hydrogen peroxide you run down to your pharmacy and buy. Pure peroxide will burn your skin and is quite dangerous.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 09:32 PM   #18
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips
Nope, refit won't resupply your H2O2. Need to return to port. It's even doubtful historically that a Walther u-boat could have operated out of the far-east, since H2O2 was not easy to make back then, and even more difficult to transport due to its rather explosive nature. This ain't the same hydrogen peroxide you run down to your pharmacy and buy. Pure peroxide will burn your skin and is quite dangerous.
Interesting. Thank you!
Old 03-12-08, 01:26 AM   #19
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajtor
Another problem, which was actually discovered by the Japanese, who used essentially the same system to power some torpedoes (including a prototype of the Kaiten "human torpedo" variant) was that, unlike conventional fuels, the Perhydrol required fuel lines without any right angle turns. The Perhydrol would sometimes "pile up" in the bends of such lines and spontaneously combust, with the obvious disastrous results.
The Japanes used this method for powering all their torpedo's (Type 93, 95). They found gentle curves, not sharp agles were best (as mentioned) as well as cleaing all fittings so there were no traces organic marerial inside the fue system (like a finger print or cotton fibres) ment that it wouldn't explode. The torpedo's could be then haddled just like any other torpedo.

The British tried to use a simlar system between the wars for powering torpedos, but after a few bad explosions, they went back to the older methods.
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 01:11 PM   #20
Kamikaze
A-ganger

Downloads: 13

Is this H2O2 similar to the (if I am remembering correctly . . an issue these days) Z-stoff/T-stoff that was used for the ME-163? The description of the corrosive nature of the pure hydrogen sounded very similar to the catalyst (I think it was the Z-stoff) from that aircraft.

Very NASTY chemicals indeed! Improperly handled and you have large explosions. Or melting flesh

I got rid of the Snorkle mod which was screwing up my ship from behaving correctly (except for the Starting Career with a Type XXIII . . left that active). I was disappointed the H2O2 could not be refilled. But knowing that now . . . it does seem to be best used in small spurts. Attack positioning . . . or possibly running away.
Old 03-12-08, 01:34 PM   #21
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

The Japanese did not use Hydrogen-Peroxide in their Type 93 and Type 95 Torpedoes, that was pure oxygen

Almost all use of H2O2 was stopped after the HMS Sidon explosion (I think that was it), though the Russians still used it in their Torpedoes (Something that might have caused the sinking the Kursk)

As for the Me-163, it's the T-Stoff

Also, I would love to know where you people get those so called "XXIII" Boats, i only ever saw the IXD and the XVIII...
Old 03-12-08, 06:18 PM   #22
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
I can't even find the head in this thing. Nobody can tell me how many liters in a kilometer. All the instruments have foreign mumbo-jumbo written all over them.

Now YOU"RE playing with the Walther drive. Sounds like some kind of European sex toy to me. No gals on your boat so there's no dang sense trying to figure that thing out.

Well, you have to excuse me. I think I better find out what Voraus and Zuruck mean before these engines seize up. What are those two dots over the U for? Can't these Germans even use the alphabet without fancying it up unnecessarily?

Here I am a freakin submarine expert and I can't even find the head. Back up to the aft deck again. Do Germans use toilet paper? If they do, what in Sam Hill do they call it? This is drivin' me crazy.
To answer your question: Yes, in Germany we do use toilet paper and guess what we even electricity!:p And if you want to have some toilet paper on a German U-Boat you just have to ask for "Toilettenpapier". Sound familiar?:p
Last but not least: "Voraus" means "ahead" and "zurück" means "back". But I guess you already kniew that.

hyperion2206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 02:13 PM   #23
Toastman
Seaman

Downloads: 21
Default Please mod me a XXI !!!

Hi Guys ,

After reading these replies it strikes me that the choice of the devs to give us this sub and not the XXI was a foolish one !
I've just been given command of U796 in my campaign game and although the sub is sleek and sexy , I would have preferred a XXI with its better endurance and snorkel system , especially with the total air dominance by the allies in north western Indian ocean areas .
My last mission in a 9D2 to the gulf of Aden and Omman took forever , with constant air attacks by multiple AC , and a snorkel on a XXI would have been ideal.

What do you all think , would you prefer a XXI ?

Toastman out .
Old 03-15-08, 03:20 PM   #24
Zantham
中国水兵

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman
Hi Guys ,

After reading these replies it strikes me that the choice of the devs to give us this sub and not the XXI was a foolish one !
I've just been given command of U796 in my campaign game and although the sub is sleek and sexy , I would have preferred a XXI with its better endurance and snorkel system , especially with the total air dominance by the allies in north western Indian ocean areas .
My last mission in a 9D2 to the gulf of Aden and Omman took forever , with constant air attacks by multiple AC , and a snorkel on a XXI would have been ideal.

What do you all think , would you prefer a XXI ?

Toastman out .
See this thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132113

Its a mod that adds a snorkel to the IX-D2 and XVIII and also the option to change your XVIII into an XXI.
Zantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 09:23 AM   #25
Toastman
Seaman

Downloads: 21

Thanks for the info , this sim just gets better and better !
Old 03-19-08, 06:25 AM   #26
peterloo
Commander

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Is this H2O2 similar to the (if I am remembering correctly . . an issue these days) Z-stoff/T-stoff that was used for the ME-163? The description of the corrosive nature of the pure hydrogen sounded very similar to the catalyst (I think it was the Z-stoff) from that aircraft.
I checked Wikipedia. T-stoff is hydrogen peroxide, Z stuff is sodium permaganate / potassium permaganate

So, you're right

Upon mixation, these two substances react, giving out vast amount of oxygen and heat. So, it can act as a propellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stoffs

Peroxide can be very dangerous if improperly handled, since it is very oxidizing and cause chemical burns. However, it can be safe if used carefully.

I don't think the range will be very long, since a large amount of peroxide fuel is needed to propell the submarine. Might buy it later and try it out:p

The 中国水兵 (Chinese Sailor) in subsim
peterloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-08, 05:38 PM   #27
scrag
Medic

Downloads: 6
Default Weird simply weird

I finally engaged the Warp Drive on my Type XVIII U-Boat
http://uboat.net/types/xviii.htm

I am standing there in the control room and as the evil Klingon err British destroyer closes me for the kill I shout "NOW CHEKOV WARP FRICKEN SPEED!!!!!!ARRRRRRR!!!!!" then I stammer Werner - whatever engage the drive!" "Helm ALL HEAD FLANK AND THEN SOME - OPERATE THE NOS, RAISE THE RODS ENGAGE THE CLOAK JUST GET US THE HELL OUT OF DODGE!!!!!!!" Fun city the mysterious walther drive comes to life - it's deep throbe resonants through out the hull or it is the bad Chili I ate prior to watch and I will need to evacuate my colon but I digris off we go to the races!!! We reach 21 knots HOLY BATCAVE BATMAN!!!! then we turn and the everyone who is standing is tossed to the side "BATTLE SPEED MORE GROG FOR THE CREW!!!" First time I actually outran the Hedgehog rounds HA HA YOU BRITISH PIG-DOGS YOUR MOTHER IS A HAMSTER AND YOUR FATHER SMELT OF EDLEBERRIES!!!! I SHALL DISCHARGE THE CONTENTS OF MY NOSE IN YOUR GENERAL DIRECTION" I stammer over the UWC Phone!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 03-20-08, 08:51 AM   #28
wetwarev7
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Hydrogen Peroxide is fun stuff. We use the diluted stuff in our medicine cabinet to help with killing bacteria on cuts and abrasions. Of course, this is somthing like 1% Hydrogen Peroxide, 99% water. It's also used by some to bleach thier hair.

When I was working in the enviromental field, we used to use a 10% solution to clean out some of the wells due to it's reaction to dirt/contamination. Even at that dilution, it was still dangerous. If you poured it onto a piece of wood, the wood would catch fire shortly. Fun stuff...

I remember one time using this stuff to clean a sample well and my coworker spilt some on his foot. I noticed his boot was smoking and pointed it out to him. He used his knife to cut the laces and flung it off his foot and by the time it hit the ground, it burst into flames.

I would imagine the stuff used in the H2O2 is close to 100%. For God's sake don't spill that stuff on the munitions, Benard!
Old 03-20-08, 11:48 AM   #29
Lead Slinger

Downloads: 74

And no one has even touched the fact that the lastest and greatest use of peroxide is improvised explosives. 9 out of 10 suicide bombers will agree.....

1480 is offline   Reply With Quote