SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-07, 12:26 AM   #16
Henchman
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I am currenty struggling with this problem myself. I'm glad to hear that some of you have been able to get it to work. I had pretty much given up on it and was just about to gripe about it here on this forum when I noticed this thread.

Install, remove, install, remove.... repeat as neccessary until it works!!?? This is a pretty lame solution. Why can't they just hurry up and make a Vista friendly patch? It would seem like a relatively simple thing to do. Like it or not, Vista is here to stay, everybody knew it was coming. There is no excuse for the lack of support.

I like Vista so far, IMO it is far superior to XP in every way. All my favorite games run fine including SSIII (except that I can't get the damn patch to install). Another thing I noticed with the patch is that it says that it is updating it to v.1.3 not 1.4b... Is it a 2 part install? Either way it always fails before installing any patch at all.

Henchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 12:37 AM   #17
azn_132
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
I am currenty struggling with this problem myself. I'm glad to hear that some of you have been able to get it to work. I had pretty much given up on it and was just about to gripe about it here on this forum when I noticed this thread.

Install, remove, install, remove.... repeat as neccessary until it works!!?? This is a pretty lame solution. Why can't they just hurry up and make a Vista friendly patch? It would seem like a relatively simple thing to do. Like it or not, Vista is here to stay, everybody knew it was coming. There is no excuse for the lack of support.

I like Vista so far, IMO it is far superior to XP in every way. All my favorite games run fine including SSIII (except that I can't get the damn patch to install). Another thing I noticed with the patch is that it says that it is updating it to v.1.3 not 1.4b... Is it a 2 part install? Either way it always fails before installing any patch at all.

The patch is 1.4b not 1.3 just that a typein error I guess.

azn_132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:49 AM   #18
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Theres no way in H--- that I'll buy a piece of 'Bill & company' crud like VISTA untill all the dung is out of it, and by the looks of it sofar it will be a few years and many heartbreaks and flattened wallets. Oh but Bill's wallet will be fatter.
Old 02-11-07, 09:55 AM   #19
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_132
The patch is 1.4b not 1.3 just that a typein error I guess.
I believe it says it's a patching SH3 versions 1.0 to 1.3 -> which means that it'll take any version between 1.0 and 1.3, and patch it to 1.4b. Don't you just love the English language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder-Pirate
Theres no way in H--- that I'll buy a piece of 'Bill & company' crud like VISTA untill all the dung is out of it, and by the looks of it sofar it will be a few years and many heartbreaks and flattened wallets. Oh but Bill's wallet will be fatter.
Yeah... if I had to buy Vista, I'd walk away laughing too. Since I work in the Comp. Tech. industry, I usually get handed a copy of MS' latest version for free or near-free.

Vista itself isn't too shabby at this point... problem is, it's not great. There's not much I can point to and say "This is THE reason you need to buy Vista." It's better, but it's mediocre better (if that makes sense).

They did change security around quite a bit, and they're starting to play better with permissions. So a lot of your older programs... well... they might not play well with Vista.

The patch to 1.4b didn't play well... it wasn't able to delete some files when I ran it. Even though my user is an administrator (I ought to change this), I still had to right click and "run as administrator" to get the patch to run correctly.
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 11:25 AM   #20
Bonez2k6
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Actually, I have SH3 working now.

1. Delete everything releated to SH3 from your computer after you burn your mods, campign files, etc., to a cd. Somehow Vista finds any files on your computer when you try to update.

2. Reinstall SH3.

3. Load 1.4.

4. Load GWX.

5. Load SF updates.

6. Restart the computer.

7. Everything should work.

SH3, seems to me at least, to run better and load faster with Vista.

I installed SH3, clicked the icon, i get the starforce error. Downloaded the SF update and it says "No installed protection drivers to update"? Installed all 4 patches. Installed them 1 at a time and tried to get the starforce utility to update and it just wont.... any ideas???

Bonez
Bonez2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:50 AM   #21
theluckyone17
Captain

You might wanna try removing starforce, then rerunning SH3 to get that error, then upgrading Starforce. Worth a try, at least.

That high resolution tweak works on RC1 without any issues, or trying to jump through that SP2-Compatibility hoop.

Performance seems to be kinda funny... In the harbor, performance is a bit worse than XP. Get out to sea, however, and performance seems to be better. Performance while attacking a convoy seems to be better.
Old 02-18-07, 12:34 AM   #22
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Stickied.
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 09:43 PM   #23
peterloo
Commander

Downloads: 2

Cool... But I won't update to Vista immediately after its release (relesed already)... Bill Gate want us to test the system and find the bugs for him Oh no!

The 中国水兵 (Chinese Sailor) in subsim
peterloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 11:25 AM   #24
kurtz
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10
2. Download starforce update tool.
This one: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip
just an aside I'm at work and access to this site is blocked by websense "access to malicious sites is not allowed". 'nuff said!

http://www.myvintagelife.co.uk/
kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 11:11 AM   #25
Kontrollturm
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez2k6

I installed SH3, clicked the icon, i get the starforce error. Downloaded the SF update and it says "No installed protection drivers to update"?

Bonez
Same Problem Vista 64U
Kontrollturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 12:25 PM   #26
Kontrollturm
Swabbie

Has nobody an Idea what i can do????????????????????????????
:d amn:
Kontrollturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 03:33 PM   #27
theluckyone17
Captain

I could guess... and my first would be "64 bit". So far, I'm running into a few problems related to DRM and 32 bit Vista (mostly with Rhapsody, as a side note). As I'm researching the issues, I'll come across a note that 32 bit support is coming "soon", and 64 bit is "long enough that we don't want to tell you soon".

Although MS says Starforce has passed the 64 bit tests, I'm going to guess that it's a newer version than the one SH3 is trying to install. I'm figure it's also safe to say that the older version doesn't support 64 bit, or has issues with it, so it's not (fully?) installing. Then when you try to upgrade, SF is dying.

'Course, I could just be completely wrong, so don't give up hope
Old 02-27-07, 09:28 PM   #28
theluckyone17
Captain

Not to double post, but since it's a new update, I figured it was important enough to warrant it.

I managed to get GameShadow installed, and it appears to be working. I cancelled the automatic install after SH3 finished installing, then downloaded the latest version from GameShadow's website. I ran the GameShadow installer by right clicking on it and selecting "Run As Administrator". No problems from there, and it's installing the SH3 v1.4b as I type.

Or not. Apparently the v1.4b update ran into problems (just like I stated above, I think), removing some files from the SH3 directory. I simply navigated to GameShadow's downloaded file directory, and ran the patch as administrator just like the original GameShadow installer.

The only reason I'm bothering with GameShadow is to make GWX that much easier to download... one big file, rather than those pesky separate files. This is why I've got cable broadband, right? ;o)
Old 02-27-07, 09:40 PM   #29
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

What's funny about all this trial & error to get software to work is that it reminds me of the MS-DO$ Days:rotfl:

I have no plans to switch to VI$TA.

Seems like no matter how much things change, some things remain the same.
Old 02-27-07, 10:15 PM   #30
theluckyone17
Captain

Pppphhhhtttt... I remember doing this back when XP first came out. Heck, I do this every time I upgrade my system, then spend a few days researching various forums trying to figure out how to get Gentoo (Linux) to work/tweaked . Or whenever there's a major gcc update, etc. There is a reason it's called "the bleeding edge" .

And to keep this on topic: GameShadow has this handy radio button where you can disable automatic running of the patch once it's downloaded, so you can run it manually as an administrator. They're dumped in "%user%\Documents\GameShadow\..." btw.