Old 05-15-12, 02:13 PM   #1
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Default ABC-TV to have Nuclear Sub Drama "Last Resort" on Fall Schedule

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/first...cs-last-resort

Quote:
The series focuses on a nuclear submarine that goes rogue after refusing a launch command. Targeted by American forces, the Colorado finds itself next to an exotic island, having declared itself a sovereign nuclear state. Complications and name-clearing ensue.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 05-15-12 at 11:03 PM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 02:45 PM   #2
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22

I'm a former bubblehead myself and have liked/loved almost every submarine related film/TV show ever made. I would love to give this show a chance!

Thursdays at 8:00 PM Eastern?

Big Bang Theory wins.

Hope Last Resort will be available on demand.

My U297 build thread
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:08 PM   #3
vienna
Navy Seal

I haven't been able to find much information yet on the web about the show, so if anyone knows more about it, we'd like to hear. This show is not a topic here in Hollywood, so it's a little strange to be so low key. It may be a show ABC does not have to much confidence in and expects to replace it mid-season with another show that needs more devleopment and won't be ready in time for a fall premiere...

And, yes, "Big Bang" wins out with me, too, but I do have a DVR so I won't have to miss "Last Resort"...

EDIT:

Found this synopsis on IMDB:

Quote:
500 feet beneath the ocean's surface, the U.S. ballistic missile submarine Colorado receives their orders. Over a radio channel, designed only to be used if their homeland has been wiped out, they're told to fire nuclear weapons at Pakistan. Captain Marcus Chaplin (Andre Braugher) demands confirmation of the orders only to be unceremoniously relieved of duty by the White House. XO Sam Kendal (Scott Speedman) finds himself suddenly in charge of the submarine and facing the same difficult decision. When he also refuses to fire without confirmation of the orders, the Colorado is targeted, fired upon, and hit. The submarine and its crew find themselves crippled on the ocean floor, declared rogue enemies of their own country. Now, with nowhere left to turn, Chaplin and Kendal take the sub on the run and bring the men and women of the Colorado to an exotic island. Here they will find refuge, romance, and a chance at a new life, even as they try to clear their names and get home. From executive producer/writer Shawn Ryan (The Shield, The Unit, The Chicago Code) and Executive producer/writer Karl Gajdusek comes this dramatic new international action-thriller about treachery, treason, and nuclear brinksmanship. LAST RESORT contemplates establishing of a new society in the modern world, and character becomes everything when unthinkable decisions must be made.
Old 05-15-12, 05:23 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I haven't been able to find much information yet on the web about the show, so if anyone knows more about it, we'd like to hear. This show is not a topic here in Hollywood, so it's a little strange to be so low key. It may be a show ABC does not have to much confidence in and expects to replace it mid-season with another show that needs more devleopment and won't be ready in time for a fall premiere...

And, yes, "Big Bang" wins out with me, too, but I do have a DVR so I won't have to miss "Last Resort"...

EDIT:

Found this synopsis on IMDB:

Somehow two movies came into my mind

1. Crimsom Tide
2 Mutany on Bounty

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:32 PM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Somehow two movies came into my mind

1. Crimsom Tide
2 Mutany on Bounty
This came to my mind first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silent_Service

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:34 PM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Trailer post by ABC today on You Tube:

Old 05-15-12, 06:03 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I'm guessing that the US Navy isn't supporting this? They tend not to like backing movies that portray mutinies on their vessels...wonder why?

Blimey TLAM, that's a series I've been meaning to watch, wonder how it compares to Zipang in terms of accuracy. Must be a link somewhere on the interwebs to it.

What came to my mind actually was World War Z and the PLAN SSBN. That and a very old book which I'm going to have to google the name of because it's been forever since I read it last, Ah...there we go, took quite a bit of digging but it was Omega Sub, which now that I look back on it seems quite a rip-off of The Last Ship
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:07 PM   #8
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Blimey TLAM, that's a series I've been meaning to watch, wonder how it compares to Zipang in terms of accuracy.
From what I remember (saw it years ago) except for the carrier battle sequence it was was quite decent when it came to accuracy.

Old 05-15-12, 08:57 PM   #9
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Someone should start a poll: How many episodes in before someone starts an unauthorized romantic relationship and joins the unofficial "One Mile Under" club?

If I were ever to have faith in a TV drama about anything military I would have to check to see if its on HBO or Showtime or FX or AMC. Mainstream networks seem incapable of running shows that are actually serious/not full of silly romance. I mean.. .what if this becomes Crimson Tide meets The Unit?....

With that said, I find the concept so enticing I'm going to hold my breath until the pilot. If someone can confirm a really good writer or showrunner for the show then maybe I can even begin to show some optimism.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 10:00 PM   #10
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
Someone should start a poll: How many episodes in before someone starts an unauthorized romantic relationship and joins the unofficial "One Mile Under" club?

If I were ever to have faith in a TV drama about anything military I would have to check to see if its on HBO or Showtime or FX or AMC. Mainstream networks seem incapable of running shows that are actually serious/not full of silly romance. I mean.. .what if this becomes Crimson Tide meets The Unit?....

With that said, I find the concept so enticing I'm going to hold my breath until the pilot. If someone can confirm a really good writer or showrunner for the show then maybe I can even begin to show some optimism.

I think that if you're going to look for naval accuracy, forget it. The Navy won't have anything to do with this and there's only so much you can get from wikipedia.

From the trailer I've watched here:

(The one Vienna posted isn't viewable in old Blighty)

I'd say that accuracy is not a chief target, for one thing having a rumba party in a boomer on patrol...can't see it happening, even if they are crossing the equator. Besides, King Neptune would not approve of a lack of sacrifices...
Then there's the cruise missile attack...on a submarine.
Not to mention the whole Crimson Tide issue of whether the CO of the Boomer has ultimate launch authority, which I do not believe they do because of the risk of someone launching due to miscommunication. After all, the US has back-ups of back-ups of its command structure, including NAOC, TACAMO, and PACCs so in the event of NORAD and SAC being knocked out (which if the missiles flew they would have) there would still be a command authority to authorise SLBM attacks, thus removing the need to have the CO able to fire independently and removing the risk of a rogue CO, which...if I'm honest, would have to be at the level of Marko Ramius in terms of familiarity with his crew in order not to be removed from command and have the boat return to port.

In short, like most submarine films we watch, disengage the bit of your brain that knows all these things and just enjoy the drama.

Yeah, Yeah, I know...that bit of the brain doesn't disengage...my wife has taken to threatening me with violence whenever I start to take a movie apart...

EDIT: Oh, and TLAM, do you have any links? Would be interested in watching it myself...was quite fond of Zipang and impressed by the detail. Heck, even High School of the Dead (for all its fan service) was quite accurate with its portrayal of military matters...
Old 05-15-12, 10:45 PM   #11
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
EDIT: Oh, and TLAM, do you have any links?
Afraid I don't.

Old 05-15-12, 11:05 PM   #12
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

What? Ordered to nuke Pakistan and he refused? I don't wanna watch that, the opposite.

Edit: Just watched the trailor, oh brother....
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 11:05 PM   #13
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
Afraid I don't.
Not to worry, I'll have a dig around and see what I can turn up.

By the way, you ever seen 'Future War 19XX'? That's not too bad, although it's somewhat dated by now, but still good in its own way. They've obviously done the research with the artwork.

- Here's a version in Greek with English 'subtitles', probably the only version out there...
Old 05-16-12, 12:49 AM   #14
CaptainMattJ.
The Old Man

Downloads: 55

it looks wholesomely better than that AWFUL new movie "Battleship"

Reminds me of an extended crimson tide, and i assume it might draw from it. Hopefully its not one of the usual 3-episode flukes like plenty of other shows that had a huge marketing campaign *cougH* "The Event" *cough* and then flopped after a couple episode.

A popular Government without popular information nor the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives
- James Madison
CaptainMattJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-12, 01:03 AM   #15
soopaman2
Der Alte

I am skeptical, as always.

Not insulting. I just know how little network TV is willing to invest in epics anymore.Too many hot girls on the sub, sorry... That would not work in real life on extended ops.

The pic looks great for a playboy magazine, but not a sub film. Just saying

I was happy with Das Boot. All the guys were ugly but charming. Just look at my avatar, I picked the ugliest to represent me.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote