Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-18, 08:12 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Saying goodbye to a friend.....

This past week was spent saying goodbye to a 20 year old friend of ours while attending his funeral. He was killed in a motorcycle accident while he was riding, only about half a mile from his destination. It was extremely upsetting, not only for his loss but also seeing the grief of his parents, family and friends. He was doing well in college and his life was blossoming in so many ways. His life was filled with promise.

I have traveled that same stretch of road and I don't really see any particular hazzards. The road is a " tar and chip " road. Dangers can lurk unseen. I mention this tragic incident as a somber reminder not only to those who ride motorcycles but also any motor vehicle. I ride motorcycles as do many here. I know from experience that you can't let your mind wander, even for an instant, while riding a motorcycle or any motor vehicle.

As mentioned, the road was an " oil and chip " surface. It was also a warm day, earlier. I am considering teaching Motorcycle safety in a state sanctioned safety course on a regular basis. If you can save but one life, teaching is worth it.....

I have mentioned the oil in an " oil and chip " surface can leach to the top of the road on hot days to our motorcycle safety students. If you have a rain or dew from condensation, either in the evening or early morning, on top of the oil and chip surface or asphalt, it can make for a slick road condition as if there was ice on the road.

Our friend was killed in the evening. I wanted this accident to serve as a reminder to be careful while riding. All of life is precious, as are those with whom we share it. Stay safe everyone.

This song was played at our friend's Church service. I will post it in the music thread as well.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 09-23-18 at 09:13 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 08:26 AM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
Old 09-23-18, 09:11 AM   #3
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Sounds like the world lost a great man before he could reach his full potential.

May he rest in peace.
Old 09-23-18, 09:11 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Sad and I can read and feel your sorrow

Hopefully your students can learn from this tragic accident and prevent another sad ending to one's life.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 12:00 PM   #5
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Sorry to hear about your friend CW. My condolences.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 01:08 PM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

It is hard to see all those going too early. My condolences. May he rest in peace.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 03:34 PM   #7
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Condolences, CW
Old 09-23-18, 04:45 PM   #8
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Sorry about your friend.
Old 09-24-18, 08:48 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Sincerest condolences CW

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:52 AM   #10
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I'm sorry for your loss.

Another thing to consider when riding is to always wear full protective gear. It can make all the difference between life and death, or at the very least between an "oh crap, I scratched up my bike" and a "oh crap, I've got road rash all over me and scratched up my bike" moment.
Old 09-24-18, 10:31 AM   #11
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Sorry for your loss, it's always a hard wake up call that reminds us how fragile we are on motorcycles.

spare no expense on the helmet to add to Schroeder's advice, it can mean all the difference in staying alive and that you're still 'you' and not a vegetable plant on a breathing apparatus after a accident.
Old 09-25-18, 05:50 PM   #12
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

My condolences for your loss. I wish I could tell you it gets easier as time goes on, but experience has taught me otherwise. Hang in there...

<O>
Old 09-26-18, 07:56 AM   #13
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I really appreciate the condolences gentlemen. Please know they truly mean a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Another thing to consider when riding is to always wear full protective gear. It can make all the difference between life and death, or at the very least between an "oh crap, I scratched up my bike" and a "oh crap, I've got road rash all over me and scratched up my bike" moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Sorry for your loss, it's always a hard wake up call that reminds us how fragile we are on motorcycles.

spare no expense on the helmet to add to Schroeder's advice, it can mean all the difference in staying alive and that you're still 'you' and not a vegetable plant on a breathing apparatus after a accident.

When I posted this thread, I was looking for a “ Silver Lining “ if there was one to be found, in this sad event. Both of you have provided that with regards to your excellent advice on motorcycle helmets. When I mentioned Subsim motorcycle riders in this thread, I was thinking specifically about Hunter ICX, Schroeder and Neal. I know that all of you ride motorcycles as well. I'm not certain on the helmet our friend was using but I know for sure he was wearing a helmet.

All helmets are not made the same. I personally use DOT and Snell rated full face helmets. There has been some controversy regarding manipulation of the Snell rating system and they may not be as good as previous thought. The ECE 22.05 (Economic Commission for Europe ) Helmet Standard employs a more rigorous testing standard and those helmets with that certification are among the best available helmets. They are made utilizing fiber glass and carbon fiber composites for the shell. Most helmets like mine also have an advanced venting systems to flow air through the interior and exhaust air out the back of the helmets, thus reducing fatigue.

Schroeder and Hunter had mentioned equipment and that extends into having a good pair of boots that cover and protect the ankles and a jacket with protection in the shoulders and elbows. Further, if anyone is contemplating buying and riding a motorcycle, and on a budget, factor the cost of protective equipment like helmets and such into the final cost. As Schroeder and Hunter already said, they could save your life and a lot of heart ache.

Another thing I would add would be the motorcycle safety course. In a number of states in the U.S, they are mandatory for anyone seeking a motorcycle license and under the age of 18. In my case, I was riding motorcycles since I was between 7-8. One might think I would learn little in such a course. That's not the case as I learned volumes and employ most if not everything I learned in these courses.

It's a fact that as people age, their reflexes slow down a bit relative to their younger motorcycling counterparts. The safety courses not only teach one how to maneuver their respective motorcycle in emergency situations but actually how to look ahead and anticipate the emerging situations which may pose a danger. Once the material of the course are incorporated into your driving, they become second nature and make you a better and more complete driver. The main things these courses do is to help you develop that “ vision “ that not only helps you identify exit routes in an emergency situations but also to help the motorcycle rider entirely avoid the emerging danger completely. Through these courses, older riders can effectively compensate for slower reflex time, if they truly exist and safely ride within their own their own abilities and envelope. I ride cruisers and stay within the speed limits and limits of the road surface. In this way, I can enjoy the outdoors while staying within the limits of the road conditions and my motorcycle.

You can't control other drivers and or wildlife crossing paths with you while you ride. What you can do through these courses is learn the skills to effectively control your own responses and compensate for the dangers of the road which in turn help to mitigate the dangers of riding to an acceptable level of risk. These courses are available for a nominal fee through the department of transportation in your respective state and in some states, may be free of charge. They are also available through other outlets. Make sure they are certified courses taught be certified instructors. As a bonus, if you successfully complete the state certified course, you may be eligible for a reduction in insurance premiums between 5% to 25 %. That's quite an incentive.

One thing I have told our students. “ Don't ride faster than your Angels can fly.” Stay safe everyone and safe travels to Hunter ICX, Schroeder, Neal and everyone else who ride motorcycles.

*Update * The girlfriend of the young man who was killed and whom we also know and are friends with is having a rough time with his death, as expected. She is barely speaking so our efforts are directed toward helping her through this if we can.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 09-26-18 at 08:07 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 08:50 AM   #14
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I always wear a full face helmet, strap on back protector, motorcycle jacket (with shoulder and elbow armor), motorcycle pants (hip and knee armor), gloves and boots when riding. I got lucky and could score most of that stuff during sales so I only paid around 550€ for everything.

While it might sound counter intuitive at first, I made it a habit to look for motorcycle crashes on YouTube. It's one thing to hear from an instructor that the left turning vehicle is your number one enemy (in countries that drive / ride on the right side) and another to actually see it happen many times over. Or to see the dangers of target fixation and the resulting completely unnecessary crashes first hand so to speak....and let's not forget all the times when excessive speed and not following the traffic code let to disaster... It makes me more aware of possible dangers and I think helped me to become a better rider.
Old 09-26-18, 11:16 AM   #15
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I really appreciate the condolences gentlemen. Please know they truly mean a lot.
Have gone through the same, our group of Motorcyclist lost a good friend almost 2 years ago. It's still puzzling to this day because the way it happened he was driving from a warehouse back to his home on a road he took countless times and if there was someone of our group who translated safety the best it was him but yet he found himself hitting the back of a small van at a traffic light and died instantly leaving a wife and 2 kids.

How it happened remains unanswered as the autopsy came up with nothing, the wreck of the bike came up with nothing out of the ordinary and the scene had no skid marks.

The impact of his passing really showed in our group as before the accident we did like 2 tours on a yearly basis with the whole group together, after we had one memoriam with the whole group and after that there was one tour with some in which I didn't take part in but most of us will be going to Morocco in a few weeks.