SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-19, 01:54 AM   #1
ShotMagnet
Mate

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Weather

How is weather modeled in this game?

Is it based on historical records, is it random, is it otherwise?

Shot
If he knows of the Trigger Maru

-Constantine Guiness
ShotMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 06:28 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotMagnet View Post
How is weather modeled in this game?

Is it based on historical records, is it random, is it otherwise?

Shot
HMM. My first thought is: " does it matter?"
'ctrl w' gets me the weather.
Or I can look (bridge or Periscope)
and to quote Bob Dylan " You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 08:20 AM   #3
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

It is totally random as far as I know. You can be in dense fog save the game and when you restart it's sunshine and clear. " Control n" will change the weather during game play. Unless that was changed in the mod you are using
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 09:29 AM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Random generator.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 02:23 PM   #5
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

It's basically controlled by a setting in the scene.dat, but it controls random times, not historical events. Seems I recall some setting in the mission editor where it might be changed where you create actual groups and plots, but I just can't remember, nor did I think it worked right or at all.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 03:03 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The second half of the first "paragraph" in all *.mis files, whether for the Campaign, SingleMission or others, is devoted to weather settings:
Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0
which does work well to set it for certain scenarios, but it still will "randomize" after the start, like the rest of the game. (Those are the "default" values.) I have something around here that has those listed and their value limits... only problem is - where??... - The wind speed can go up to "15" (knots), the Heading to "359" (degrees), the "Interval" is (I think) hours, but the others are values of 1, 2, or 3, but I don't remember which is which... Basically "Low", "Medium" and "High"... I used those for the FotRSU Aleutians career patrols, so I've got the documentation for that somewhere - if you're interested... cdrsubron7 also knows how to do that. Check out his Single Missions for examples. Good stuff!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:07 AM   #7
ShotMagnet
Mate

Downloads: 4

OK. Thanks all. I was trying to determine if there was any historical relevance to the weather I encounter. Apparently there isn't.

Shot
If he knows of the Trigger Maru

-Constantine Guiness
ShotMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:13 AM   #8
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The second half of the first "paragraph" in all *.mis files, whether for the Campaign, SingleMission or others, is devoted to weather settings:
Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5
SeaType=0
which does work well to set it for certain scenarios, but it still will "randomize" after the start, like the rest of the game. (Those are the "default" values.) I have something around here that has those listed and their value limits... only problem is - where??... - The wind speed can go up to "15" (knots), the Heading to "359" (degrees), the "Interval" is (I think) hours, but the others are values of 1, 2, or 3, but I don't remember which is which... Basically "Low", "Medium" and "High"... I used those for the FotRSU Aleutians career patrols, so I've got the documentation for that somewhere - if you're interested... cdrsubron7 also knows how to do that. Check out his Single Missions for examples. Good stuff!
Wind speed is "mps" (meters per second). 15 mps translates to 29.158 knots or 33.554 mph. A "Near Gale" (on the Beaufort scale), is the strongest "storm" the game can simulate. A "Full Gale" begins at 34 knots.

Be careful using "Control N" to reset the weather (BTW this is erroneously cross mapped in TMO, Dulcimus uses "Control N" as a keyboard shortcut to "Report nearest sound contact" which simultaneously resets the weather. (You can edit the commands.cfg file to change this behavior.)
My understanding is that using "control N" resets the weather for YOU, but not for the ENEMY (or other AI units.) So, if you're in fog and you reset the weather, you can see them but they can't see you.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215391

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 10:28 AM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Thanks for that correction Front Runner! It's "only" a factor of 2 mistake... - good reminders on the rest also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 01:43 PM   #10
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Wind speed is "mps" (meters per second). 15 mps translates to 29.158 knots or 33.554 mph. A "Near Gale" (on the Beaufort scale), is the strongest "storm" the game can simulate. A "Full Gale" begins at 34 knots.

Be careful using "Control N" to reset the weather (BTW this is erroneously cross mapped in TMO, Dulcimus uses "Control N" as a keyboard shortcut to "Report nearest sound contact" which simultaneously resets the weather. (You can edit the commands.cfg file to change this behavior.)
My understanding is that using "control N" resets the weather for YOU, but not for the ENEMY (or other AI units.) So, if you're in fog and you reset the weather, you can see them but they can't see you.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215391
Any time I reset the weather and the enemy was near I got blasted out of the water.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 03:12 PM   #11
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Any time I reset the weather and the enemy was near I got blasted out of the water.

Then, there's that! ^^^^^

"My understanding" may be wrong. I suppose one could "experiment" with this issue, if they've a mind to....

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 01-20-19 at 04:25 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote