SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-18, 04:41 AM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Civilization will collapse if Germany cannot screw Mexico tomorrow.
Old 06-18-18, 03:32 PM   #32
Spectre-63
Sparky

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Legally they can per their constitution, but there is a catch. It's rather costly and regulated, but the kicker is, there's only one location ran by the govt in all of Mexico a gun can be purchased, so legal ownership is very low. However, say some law was passed with a mass arming of citizens, I don't know that would solve anything since there's no true system of law and order in many towns. You would almost need a revolution of righteous people, but the economics aren't there to back it up. Mexico is really in a state of war and I would put our military on the border to shut it down.

This is exactly the problem! When the government limits access, particularly on this scale, the right to firearm ownership is there in name only.
Old 06-25-18, 05:37 AM   #33
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

A hint of how crazy the situation is
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44597807
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:10 PM   #34
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

NSFW - NSFW - NSFW but very very relevant and hilarious

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-26-18 at 03:21 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:49 PM   #35
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I said it before and i said it again:
Get a grip on drug consumption in the USA with whatever means, only then Mexico will have a chance to get rid of the cartels.
Read Don Winslowe, and you might at least get a glimpse on what is going on in the USA, and in Mexico.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 04:24 PM   #36
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Get off your your high horse. You're being naive to think drug use in the U.S. is solely responsible for Mexico's mess. Tell ya what why doesn't Europe set the example for once show us how it's done. Instead of blaming the U.S. for all the worlds ills.

Latin America is a crucial geographic zone for drug production and trafficking. The Andean countries of Colombia, Peru and Bolivia are the world’s main cocaine producers, while Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean have become the principal corridors for transporting drugs into the United States and Europe.

With Germany's drug use also comes other things contributing to Mexico.

http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-compli...iny/a-18390756

Got any ideas?

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-26-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 04:46 PM   #37
Catfish

Who do you think exports the drugs? What has the CIA to do with drug traficking? Why does the DEA have such problems? From where do the cartels get the money to buy their weapons, and all this infrastructure? Why do so many people flee, from Mexico? Of course there's the Mafia, the N'drangeta and whatnot who have a hand in distributing the stuff , also to Europe, but they all get the stuff via the US.
The focus has to be on the demand side of the equation. It means focusing on drug treatment and addiction north of the Rio Grande, and the distribution from there.

Regarding getting a grip on the situation from a european viewpoint? Offering legal drugs cost-free to real addicts and helping them to get out, look at Norway, Sweden, Denmark or Germany. Still enough idiots who want drugs because it is soo cool, but compared to Mexico?
You see 16-year olds drive around in fat SUVs and spending a thousand dollars per day, so your chance to get money is to join the club, and it is so easy.
On the other hand you are a good law-abiding politician who wants to ban drugs and arrest drug dealers? You're dead.

Or, maybe you find 10,000 Dollars in your mail box, without any info, every week. You do not even know to whom you can give the money back, and that is the trick. After some weeks there will be some small demands, and either you obey, or they kill your wife, your kids, and you. And maybe your neighbours, just to make sure. “What good is an atrocity if no one knows you did it?”

And now i climb my high horse: All Mexicans are baaad. Build wall and make America great again, all problems solved. Only that this is not my high horse.

It is not meant as harsh as it sounds, but if anyone is interested in the background of drug trafficking, read Winslowe's "Days of the dead", it will really open your eyes.
edit sorry, the english title of the first book is "The power of the dog", the second "The Cartel".

Last edited by Catfish; 06-27-18 at 03:50 AM. Reason: typoes, name of the book(s)
Old 06-28-18, 01:00 PM   #38
Iceman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

This cannot go well endlessly. It must crash down, by all rules of logic.
I totally agree...it is laws of physics at this point....it can not be sustained and is reaching a boiling point, the world is for that matter. For me personally it is not unexpected.

A city divided against itself can not stand....and unless the Lord had shortened the days No Flesh shall be saved. We as humans are on a fast track to destruction. The ref is going to step in soon and call this a game...IMO.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 09:46 AM   #39
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

After reading
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_Mexico (especially paragraph trend reversal).

Why is the Mexican immigration currently such a big issue in the US now? Is the crime rate higher now (have not checked that) ?

I see the high number of illegals as an issue for sure but I do not understand why it is now such a big deal in the last two years and not, let's say 10 years ago...
Old 06-30-18, 11:56 AM   #40
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Wow thats odd, well no its not in fact I think its on par.

on one hand we have someone blaming the U.S. drug problem for an emmigration crisis.

On the other hand others are saying the trend is reversing and more Mexicans are staying home.

Lol

Old 06-30-18, 02:39 PM   #41
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
[...] Why is the Mexican immigration currently such a big issue in the US now? Is the crime rate higher now (have not checked that) ?
I see the high number of illegals as an issue for sure but I do not understand why it is now such a big deal in the last two years and not, let's say 10 years ago...
Because Trump says it is, and all chime in. You know someone must be the scapegoat, for all you do not like in life. And if it did not disturb you before Trump said it, you now have his opinion. It's magic!

Old 06-30-18, 03:55 PM   #42
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
After reading
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_Mexico (especially paragraph trend reversal).

Why is the Mexican immigration currently such a big issue in the US now? Is the crime rate higher now (have not checked that) ?

It's a big deal because the left thinks they can bash Trump with it. A manufactured outrage like the homeless problem of a previous election it disappears from the public view (though not in reality) just as soon as the Democrats get back into power.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 09:16 AM   #43
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I said it before and i said it again:
Get a grip on drug consumption in the USA with whatever means, only then Mexico will have a chance to get rid of the cartels.
Read Don Winslowe, and you might at least get a glimpse on what is going on in the USA, and in Mexico.
I agree 100%. The drug users in America are in large part to blame. If it was up to me, I would go full Duarte on drug dealers and users. But we are going farther in the wrong direction, with "treatment" being the big buzzword (my tax dollars being the fuel for that waste) and lighter prison sentences for "Non-violent" drug offenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Because Trump says it is, and all chime in. You know someone must be the scapegoat, for all you do not like in life. And if it did not disturb you before Trump said it, you now have his opinion. It's magic!
No, not at all. Trump is merely mirroring what many of us have been saying for years. We are being invaded by people from other countries. By the millions. It's time to decide if we want to turn over our democracy to "fureigners" who can't rub two sticks together in their homeland, or retain our right as a soverign nation to limit immigration to legal and approved levels. Approved by us, the voters.
Old 07-01-18, 10:27 AM   #44
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
We are being invaded by people from other countries. By the millions. It's time to decide if we want to turn over our democracy to "fureigners" who can't rub two sticks together in their homeland, or retain our right as a soverign nation to limit immigration to legal and approved levels. Approved by us, the voters.
The title of this thread is very accurate, unfortunately. Mexico may be on its way to being the next Venezuela.

Quote:
If the polls are right, Mexico will elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador president on Sunday, July 1.....

Should he ascend to the presidency as predicted, his radical ideas will spell trouble for both Mexico and the U.S. for several reasons.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/06/29/...tial-election/

Quote:
Although López Obrador tries to cast himself as a moderate, many of his critics see similarities between him and Hugo Chavez.

Like Chavez, López Obrador is charismatic and promises to bring a “radical revolution” to Mexico. True to his left wing beliefs, his economic plan is all about taxing and spending. He calls for universal access to public colleges, raising the minimum wage and increasing spending for welfare.
Quote:
The Economist warns Mexicans that “the charismatic leaders who ride these resentments to power are almost always false prophets.” When a false prophet leads a country, both citizens in that country as well as their neighbors across the borders will suffer. Exhibit A is Venezuela. This is why the U.S. should care about the Mexican election — there’s an excellent chance that Exhibit B ends up on our southern border.
I hope you Yanks realize, despite our idiot boy-king, that Canada is still your best neighbor.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 03:30 PM   #45
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
[...] No, not at all. Trump is merely mirroring what many of us have been saying for years. We are being invaded by people from other countries. By the millions. It's time to decide if we want to turn over our democracy to "fureigners" who can't rub two sticks together in their homeland, or retain our right as a soverign nation to limit immigration to legal and approved levels. Approved by us, the voters.
By you, the voters. I'd say your population is about 50:50 divided about that. And What is that thing with "sovereign nation" all the time? Isn't the USA a sovereign nation? Why does Trump always uses the words "illegal", "criminal" and degoratory terms before the word "foreigner"?
"We have said this for years", oh i am sure. You would have protested, but you did not dare, or it was going to rain. And now that some !"&/$%&/!!! like Trump is leader, they all come out of their holes and can spout their "opinion" they had all the time.
The scary thing is that you seem to be right, the US have been like that all along, and it just took some Trump to let it all out now. Radicalizing and polarizing with a good load of populism seems to be the shinizzle all over the world now, to win elections.
Quote:
We are being invaded by people from other countries. By the millions.
The USA consists of 'invaders', yes, sans some indians.
Sorry, i like you, and most Americans on a personal level, but when it comes to politics.. NEVER!

Last edited by Catfish; 07-02-18 at 03:47 PM.

Tags
mexico