SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-14, 02:22 AM   #16
Seahawk14
Nub

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Seahawk14! Still worth the hike up four levels at Ft. Point under the Golden Gate Bridge to watch USS IOWA going by though! Probably the last time a Iowa class 'Battleship' passes under the Golden Gate!...and a kaleun was there!!
Oh, no doubt! And cool photo, man. Wonder if the Pampanito had any parting words before she left.
Seahawk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 05:23 AM   #17
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Seahawk14

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 11:19 AM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk14 View Post
Oh, no doubt! And cool photo, man. Wonder if the Pampanito had any parting words before she left.
Actually no! I had just been aboard Pampanito and the Liberty, Jeremiah Obrien, just forward, along Fisherman's Wharf, when word of the Iowa's passing down the Bay toward her (present)new berth in Southern CA caused my dash to the Fort Point across town-no mean feat in 'Frisco. Throwing in joggers, tourists, lookie-loos, and considerable surf crowd... and the trot up the circular stairs to the parapet (at my age!)....I made it with two minutes to spare-literally! Someone had brought an old WWII naval scope, so viewing was a real treat. Of course it helps not to be breathing hard to steady the 34" optics a crash course in "don't run-you'll just die tired" if ever!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-01-14 at 12:32 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 12:42 PM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

The overall view: about one minute later, of the Fort, the Golden Gate and The USS Iowa and Me...somewhere up there under the flag Three famous warships in one day ...is a VERY good day! IMHO

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-01-14, 04:02 PM   #20
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Iowa and her sisters are no good in todays way of warfare at sea or tomorrows warfare at sea. I guess it would cost to much to get them rebuild so they meet current and future needs.

Todays warship have almost the same firepower.

If USA or other countries would go back to things like battleship they have to be built from scratch like the person described in my link posted in my former post.

But what do I know...

Have one of her sister standing on a shefl "BB 62 USS New Jersey" scale 1:350
On my wish list The Mighty Mo

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-14, 08:25 AM   #21
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Iowa and her sisters are no good in todays way of warfare at sea or tomorrows warfare at sea. I guess it would cost to much to get them rebuild so they meet current and future needs.

Todays warship have almost the same firepower.

If USA or other countries would go back to things like battleship they have to be built from scratch like the person described in my link posted in my former post.

But what do I know...

Have one of her sister standing on a shefl "BB 62 USS New Jersey" scale 1:350
On my wish list The Mighty Mo

Markus
What vessels today have a gun the equal of a 16" or armour protection even approaching that of an Iowa class?

Old 08-26-14, 09:59 AM   #22
Ishmael
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79

I smoked a joint in the captain's chairs of both Iowa and Wisconsin when we were in drydock next to them in Philly in 77. Went aboard Missouri and New Jersey in SF during the first two Fleet Weeks there as well. So, I've been aboard all 4 Iowa class BBs.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-14, 12:42 PM   #23
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What vessels today have a gun the equal of a 16" or armour protection even approaching that of an Iowa class?

Sorry for this late answer.

Not guns, but missiles like the RGM-84 or the french Exocet.

They can of course be fooled, which a dumb shell can't. A missile have countermeasures which a shell haven't, a missile can travel up to 80-90 nm a shell can't a.s.o

Well even a shell can today be shot down by modern air defence(I know the Swedish Bofors 40 mm radarguidede gun can.)

In WWII a warship needed some shots to get "in range" of the target. Today a modern warship need only 2-4 shots to be "in range" of the target.

My thoughts what is easiest to engage for a warship?

A missile or a shell from a 16" or a 20" ?

Markus
Old 08-27-14, 07:19 AM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'll put it another way and in a hypothetical scenario....modern guided missile warship v Iowa:

Modern warship fires missiles at approaching Iowa who in turn responds with Tomahawk (which more than likely have a far greater range than the missiles from the modern warship) and or Harpoon. CIWS engage both sets of missiles, any getting through to Iowa fail to penetrate thick armour protection but any getting through to modern warship are probably catastrophic therefore game over.

Moving on...Iowa gets within 16" main armament range (21nm)and fires a broadside of nine shells...game over.

Old 08-27-14, 12:15 PM   #25
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I'll put it another way and in a hypothetical scenario....modern guided missile warship v Iowa:

Modern warship fires missiles at approaching Iowa who in turn responds with Tomahawk (which more than likely have a far greater range than the missiles from the modern warship) and or Harpoon. CIWS engage both sets of missiles, any getting through to Iowa fail to penetrate thick armour protection but any getting through to modern warship are probably catastrophic therefore game over.

Moving on...Iowa gets within 16" main armament range (21nm)and fires a broadside of nine shells...game over.
How could I forget TASM who has a range of 250 nm which is far longer than RGM-84E and why not armed Iowa with the new ASM LRASM which has a range of ca 500 nm.

And if all their LRASM, TASM and RGM-84 have been used and no hit they have to use their guns and here Iowa is the big winner-I guess she would be.

Markus
Old 08-27-14, 11:56 PM   #26
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
I don't think it's a question of a "modern guided missile warship v Iowa", but rather several modern ships v Iowa. A group of ships would likely have more survivability than Iowa. I question whether the armor would be worth much against modern missile hits. I suspect a few hits would leave a BB operationally 'dead in the water'.

This reminds me of Benjamin Franklin's advocating the use of pikes and bows in the Revolutionary War, supposing them to have worthwhile advantages. Of course, the Continental Army never adopted this suggestion; probably because they had more sense.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 08:25 PM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default USS New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
this reminds me of Benjamin Franklin's advocating the use of pikes and bows in the Revolutionary War, supposing them to have worthwhile advantages. Of course, the Continental Army never adopted this suggestion; probably because they had more sense.
Quote:
Jimbuna: What vessels today have a gun the equal of a 16" or armour protection even approaching that of an Iowa class?

The Druze militia didn't appreciate this 'ol' pike' off Beruit which killed one of their generals; half the job of a BB is to be a "threat in being" such as Bismark and Tirpitz; tying up much of the enemy's attention and resources. As Von C. says: "whenever possible increase firepower"...these still fill the bill and inspire 'shock and awe'... ever a favorite American tactic! PHOTO: USS New Jersey off Lebanon 1984...Personally I'd like to resurrect The Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri and New Jersey, paint them Teddy Roosevelt white and send 'em to the South China Sea just to see which Chinese frigate captains are feelin' 'bully' on Sino expansionism; suitably cruise-missile equipped and a carrier group or two just over the horizon for an ambush as needed. A little old-school OOOMPH in the RIMPAC exercise IMHO Nothing Lord Nelson couldn't tackle! 4

Old 08-31-14, 10:01 PM   #28
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I kind of regret the reference to Franklin's quote. I know the Iowa class is more viable than pikes and bows, but I assume the DOD had their reasons for taking them out of commission.

If they were to be upgraded, and possibly have improved armor, so as to be missile resistant, they could perhaps be formidable ships again. (Less clear to me is how valuable the guns would be. Also, wonder if it might end up being torpedo bait.)

BUT, in the present era, with our Great Leader Obama, and a Nitwit Congress, can we even afford such projects?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 10:43 PM   #29
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Given what the people en masse deem to be news. The US is a country of nitwits just wanting enough lolly to be entertained one more night.

AS much as I love the big ships I can't see one ever being viable again unless we need a big target to float around.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 01:19 AM   #30
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
half the job of a BB is to be a "threat in being" such as Bismark and Tirpitz; tying up much of the enemy's attention and resources. ; suitably cruise-missile equipped and a carrier group or two just over the horizon for an ambush as needed. A little old-school OOOMPH in the RIMPAC exercise IMHO Nothing Lord Nelson couldn't tackle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
AS much as I love the big ships I can't see one ever being viable again unless we need a big target to float around.
Precisely! Luring the Persian fleet into at Salamis, to the old lure and bait cruiser tactics of Hipper vs. Beatty in WWI leading to Jutland; and the pre-Pearl Harbor picket island Pacific plans of Yamamoto and Kimmel culminating in Midway...nothing new really, just the biggest bang platforms ever invented with air cover to wipe out whatever ventures forth to assert its ambitions ...probably resulting in the battle of Taiwan...