SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-07, 12:35 AM   #46
U812
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ahahahahahah!!!!

U812
U812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 08:20 AM   #47
Siara
Grey Wolf

LoL - woman with sense of humor - priceless.

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 06:18 PM   #48
Chock
Sea Lord

Default Bombs Away!

If you've been reading this thread, you'll know that the screw (or propeller if you prefer) is not that great in the original kit. It's not disastrously bad, but it could certainly be better, and so I ordered some 1/350 sub props from Flagship Models in the US. These are nice etched brass items, but they are only the prop blades in etched brass, so more work needs to be done. This is where a problem occurs, because Russian subs, including the 971, have a complex propeller boss and hub which has quite a few fancy bits on it, notably, sacrificial anodes and a cruciform wake attenuator on the hub. Now, I had a go at making a wake attenuator from litho plate and inserting it into a hub I had made from putty and sanded to the correct shape. This is okay-ish looking, but I thought I might be able to do better, and so I had a think about things I might have which were close to that shape, and it hit me. Anyone who has made a few model kits usually ends up with a spares 'rummage box' and I'm no exception, and what do I find in there, but a bomb from an aircraft kit which I chose not to use on the aircraft model:

What happen? Somebody set us up the bomb: The back part with the stabilising fins is a good basis for the prop hub, having the fins to form the basis of the wake attenuator, and a fairly close conical form. So I reckon with a bit of careful work, this can be made into a passable prop hub for the 971. Anyway, we shall see..

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 12-11-07 at 06:39 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 09:59 PM   #49
Chock
Sea Lord

Default Well, that didn't work...

Unfortunately, the idea to use the bomb fins as the basis for the cruciform attenuator didn't work, the plastic became too fragile when filed to size to hold sufficient detail, so then I tried this..
I cut a cross-shaped notch in the end of an old artist's paintbrush handle, similar to how you would make a 'dum dum' bullet, and then inserted four pieces of very small litho plate, and then did a lot of very careful filing, almost blinding myself in the process, but, the results are pretty good so far, here you can see my attempt fixed to the etched brass screw:

You can also see how tiny the cruciform bit at the tip of the propeller boss had to be in order to be the right scale!

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 12-11-07 at 11:35 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 10:30 AM   #50
Chock
Sea Lord

Quick update: Wasn't happy with the communication buoy doors, so scrapped them and decided to remake them from metal, as a result I've also decided to hinge them and add a bit more detail in having them partially open to reveal the communication buoy, which will obviously have to be scrath built. Made a start on this by cutting open the rear deck and adding the well for the communication buoy:

Also replaced the forward dive planes from the kit, which were incorrectly located and looked crap, so I made some new ones from laminated polycarbonate and put them in the correct location:

Chock