Dissapointing in some aspects. Will hope it gets better with mods. 26 29.21%
Bad. Shouldn't have bought it/will be collecting dust in my shelf 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-10, 01:11 AM   #61
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Good to hear about the AI. I haven't got a good enough feel for it yet.

There is one game-stopping issue to be aware of for now, and that is the morale-system-breaking savegame reloads. I imagine this will not be a problem for long... waiting on that patch.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:47 AM   #62
walsh2509
XO

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugi View Post
the AI respond pretty good, just got depth charge big time and they do not let me go (the destroyers). for sure moral is very important, the gunner work good, i find out the way to order the gun to fire by himself, the sound guy is giving me contact(because his moral is higth) but no way to ask him to follow a contact...

That got me thinking about gaining skill/moral pts , with 1/2 unarmed merchants in SH3/SH4Uboat add , I would man the gun though I had my gunners in place, I would manually shoot the gun myself as it saved a lot of shells.

Q? is , if I do this will my gunner crew gain skill/moral or whatever they get, or would I have to let them get on with it themselves for them to gain experience.

If I do it manually and I usual after a range shot get 99% of hits on target, if I do this would that be past on to my gun crews stats.
walsh2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:56 AM   #63
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Oh Noes...

The bad votes are slowly catching the good votes!!!!!

Yeah could be people who havent bought the game voting....

I really hope the game isnt that bad... Please.....
The OSP is already killing game, if the game is also bad ima cry.

My SH3 is looking date'd now.

Fingers crossed

P.S. I didnt vote due to not having the game
Old 03-02-10, 04:21 AM   #64
Gunnodayak
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
With all the modding this site can provide this is and will always be a FPS\RPG wrapped in a Submarine.

The only thing missing is Army uniforms and M-16'S

The novelity of this game will wear off in about 6 mo's.

It's sad what could've been. After the 4th I expect hopefully there will be some honest posters who will also express their disapointment and not just be an asskisser.

Long Live Real Subsimers.
Great reply! I support your opinion completely.You've managed to synthesize in just a few words the huge disappointment of many members here, who are interested in WWII submarine simulation. Like one great man said once, "You can put pearls on a swine, but it's still a pig". And I am saying that with no intention to underestimate the modders work, they really managed to made SH 3&4 playable due to their efforts. The problem is the core, the base structure of the game, which is almost impossible to be changed, and besides, that should be the developers work. Because they are earning their living through that, or at least, they are supposed to do that, offering good products on this decaying market.

Last edited by Gunnodayak; 03-02-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-02-10, 08:12 AM   #65
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnodayak View Post
Great reply! I support your opinion completely.You've managed to synthesize in just a few words the huge disappointment of many members here, who are interested in WWII submarine simulation. Like one great man said once, "You can put pearls on a swine, but it's still a pig". And I am saying that with no intention to underestimate the modders work, they really managed to made SH 3&4 playable due to their efforts. The problem is the core, the base structure of the game, which is almost impossible to be changed, and besides, that should be the developers work. Because they are earning their living through that, or at least, they are supposed to do that, offering good products on this decaying market.
How about a pic of your smiling face by the game disk? You bought the game and voted Bad. Shouldn't have bought it/will be collecting dust in my shelf, right?
Old 03-02-10, 08:23 AM   #66
Gunnodayak
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
How about a pic of your smiling face by the game disk? You bought the game and voted Bad. Shouldn't have bought it/will be collecting dust in my shelf, right?
How about thinking that I am not your or anyone's circus monkey to expose my "smiling face" doing things at command ??? If you would asked me that in a polite way, I would have given you that. Maybe you should try again.
Old 03-02-10, 08:29 AM   #67
boldero
Nub

Downloads: 34

Well, got my copy here today in the UK courtesy of shopto.com and so far I'm totally blown away, so far the level of detail and immersion is superb, THIS is what I personally wanted from a world war 2 Atlantic submarine simulation.

I'm sure that after a few mods have been added by the talented people here this game could be made even better than it already is in terms of historical accuracy etc.

I defy anyone not to go 'wow' when they first set foot in the command room of a VII or not be impressed the first time you sail into Kiel or stick an eel into an unsuspecting polish merchant, well you get the drift.

Also it was nice to see Neal and the people here at subsim getting an honourable mention in the credits, a very nice touch from a very talented dev team who have done sh5 proud.

from me!
boldero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:56 AM   #68
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnodayak View Post
How about thinking that I am not your or anyone's circus monkey to expose my "smiling face" doing things at command ??? If you would asked me that in a polite way, I would have given you that. Maybe you should try again.
That wasn't polite? Please? !
Old 03-02-10, 09:12 AM   #69
Danevang
Helmsman

Downloads: 160

One does understand the frustration that some people feel, seeing their favorite game series changing (RPG elements etc.), but...

The game industry is just not as it used to be, the "niche games" that were plentiful some time ago are released more as tools than as finished games nowadays (i.e. everything Paradox releases), but I suppose we should be grateful that anyone releases these games at all. It won't be long before we only have something that everyone will play (exit niche games). It's not all bad though, I don't see many any other games being released with as much modding potential as these niche games (i.e. SH5 supports scripting), and those tools/possibilities are definately worth laying down some money, so that the GREAT modders of the former SH games might work magic, bringing these tools to proper use. That's my oppinion.

Too many people in here get too frustrated, and give up too quickly. Get the SH5 "tool", and let the dedicated modders make something brilliant. See the game grow over the next years, get exited everytime a new spectacular mod gives your game new life. That's something I've loved with the last games. Honestly, noone even slightly familiar with the SH series can be supprised that the latest game is not the perfect Das Boot experience out of the box. Rather, think of SH5 as a blockbuster movie, not quite perfect, but hey, it can be improved, hell, modders can rewrite the script and shoot the movie all over again. Perhaps SH5 shouldn't be given up on already?

Summary: This poll is way too soon, wait and see.

Last edited by Danevang; 03-02-10 at 09:23 AM.
Danevang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:19 AM   #70
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The purpose of the poll was to know how the people who buy SH5 feel about it. Since I have not bought it, I have obviously not voted in the poll and would ask people to be honest. Precisely because I haven't bought it, I want 1st hand rating from users, not just the reviews from some webs. A review is more profesional and less subjective, and I want better impression of the guts feeling the game causes in the user, good or bad.

Thanks
Old 03-02-10, 09:47 AM   #71
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

I'm rating it in the top category , even though at the same time there are imo imperfections. The second category just sounded on the low side for me.

There are things that are different and that I'm still getting used to. There are things I want to see changed, and things that need fixing. But my rating is overall and I am seeing a very well-worked game, with nice gameplay and immersive features.

Just my own opinion of course, and others will disagree which is their right also.
Old 03-02-10, 09:53 AM   #72
joejccva71
Watch

Downloads: 28

Neal...anyway you slice it the game just isn't up to par with SH3/SH4. Not by a long shot in fact. Sure it's not a horrible game, but it's a step backward from previous versions with the exception of zeeee eye candy.

That's about it.

Pretty much every other aspect is either bugged and broken, or it's arcadeish. Fireworks explosions, morale system being royally broken, annoyances like ship crewmen walking around on the deck as ship is sinking, etc.

Of course these things can be modded, but I feel like Ubi took a step backwards here. Is it just me?
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 10:07 AM   #73
cappy70
Ensign

Downloads: 5
Default Not voting because....

.......I don't have the game, but it shipped today 2:nd of March from Amazon (US).

(From Pre-order I put in the 18th of October through SubSim.com)
Intel I7-4790K 4 Ghz
16 Gig Trident Claw DDR 3
2 x 760 GTX 2048 mem in SLI.
WD 1T Hd Ultra/WD Black 640
Corsair 850W PSU
cappy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 10:16 AM   #74
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Just a little Q and i don´t want to start a new thread for it :

How many and what kind of merchants are in it ? On the videos i always/only saw some kind of libertys or c2 and maybe t2 tankers.
Old 03-02-10, 10:20 AM   #75
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Folks will always try to push their agendas through polls. It's one of the wonderful things about the Internets.

This is totally ridiculous paranoia from you and some others. I am not buying SH5 while this draconian DRM exists, but i most certainly haven`t voted here to derail anything because it don`t apply to me since I don`t have the game. And i`m not the only one. I wasn`t even going to post in this thread until I saw your silly statement.

I guess if the Poll showed that 99% of people loved the game you`d be happy with that even if people voted who hadn`t bought it.

Get a grip.
Seafireliv is offline   Reply With Quote