Dissapointing in some aspects. Will hope it gets better with mods. 26 29.21%
Bad. Shouldn't have bought it/will be collecting dust in my shelf 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-10, 05:56 AM   #151
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

The majority of people will only ever experience Silent Hunter 5 1.01 because of the autopatch. I propose a new poll starting on the 5th of March. All those who voted before based on 1.00 can vote again because technically they shouldn't have had the chance to even play 1.00.
Old 03-03-10, 06:28 AM   #152
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

I'm trying to stay positive but first impression interface needs to be completely overhauled (it's missing many commands/high realism gadgets), at the moment very clunky.
Also getting constant CTDs, and a blue screen too. Clicked on ObsScope CTD, came to Kiel CTD 3 times, got to port, click on a bystander CTD..
This is all patched up.
Looks good but still has that yucky SH4 feel to it, shaky water shaky views.

I'm sure it'll get better as I tweak my system and the patches/mods come along.

(XP/32bit , Curo2duo 3Ghz, 4GB, 9800GTX, latest drivers)

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 06:29 AM   #153
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Only have played the 'tutorial' mission (currently returning to Kiel) and I must say, I like it quite a bit. Love the interiors (mouse sensitivity could be toned down a bit, tho) and what they've done with the enviroment, really feels like the cold ETO.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:09 AM   #154
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Only have played the 'tutorial' mission (currently returning to Kiel) and I must say, I like it quite a bit. Love the interiors (mouse sensitivity could be toned down a bit, tho) and what they've done with the enviroment, really feels like the cold ETO.
Glad you like it Dowly Any problem with the DRM?
Old 03-03-10, 07:22 AM   #155
capthelm
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHibbins View Post
Easy guys...easy

tears wow lmao

"One torpedo ... one ship"
my SH5 lighting mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkM5k8SXpWo
my SH5 audio mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN5RHeL8B8
capthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:38 AM   #156
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Still undecided at this point. I really want to like it, but am having to work at it!

As Dowly has pointed out, the environment is seriously impressive.

The UI however, is appalling. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but so far, not liking it.

Luckily no CTDs or online issues.

There seems to be functionality missing from the game that was in previous titles, eg. my WO tells me he has spotted smoke on the horizon, nice touch, but then resolutely refuses to tell me which direction it is. He is happy to tell me how his wife and kids are, however!

Haven't had a chance to check the enemy AI yet. This afternoon I'm gonna go up against 3 Brit destroyers hunting me in a single mission and see how they do.

Withholding my vote at the moment, until I have given the game a proper chance, will vote in a couple of days.

Last edited by sergei; 03-03-10 at 08:57 AM.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:50 AM   #157
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Any problem with the DRM?
Nope, but I'm not losing my hope yet.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 07:58 AM   #158
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
The UI however, is appalling. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but so far, not liking it.
So bad in fact, I use Shift-Z to keep the ridiculous mess off unless I absolutely need it.

But environmental graphics are fantastic, especially overcast and inclement weather.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 11:18 AM   #159
auricom
Mate

Downloads: 63

withholding my vote until i can spend a few hours in it.. but first impressions are that the ui is horrid.. and where is my TDC? I'll have to figure out their new targetting system..

1st person thing is a really nice touch..

Hoping the modders have a hey day with this and can't wait to see what's on the table in a year or so
auricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 11:28 AM   #160
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post

I can see no reason why they should not take those achievements as the start point for SH5. By all means simplify some of it for less "hard core" players, but that doesn't justify ignoring the current state of those mods.

That, unfortunately, is an intellectual property issue. Anyone who makes a mod has a copyright in that mod. If Ubi just incorporated the mod into SH5, the mod author could theoretically sue and claim part of the profits of the game attibutable to his "mod". In theory, Ubi could get a waiver, but since most mods are a community effort and documentation is lax, it is often impossible to determine who are the authors of a mod (GWX is a good example).

For that reason, no sane developper (or at least one with competent lawyers) will go anywhere near a mod.

As anyone who has ever worked on a game will know, the first thing they make you sign is a complete waiver where you waive any rights you may have to any improvements you make to the game.
Old 03-03-10, 11:33 AM   #161
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Good bell curve with the survey.

First impressions last night were; it was like dancing with a pair of really nice and expensive shoes that were too big for my feet.

Other than that it is an excellent and fresh departure from what the grognards had set as a bar for a hardcore sub simulator. I can see where Dan and the devs were going with this, at least I can guess at it pretty well.

Overall I like it, but it may not be my cup of tea at this point in time. Will definately get started on the campaign. I patrolled the St. Lawrence last night and was astonished that on an old 5 year old PC, this thing ran pretty smoothly, in driving rain, plenty of wave action. The boat was pitching and rolling all over the place.

Of course in the coming months more of the inner workings will come to light. I liked the familiar structure from SH4. I am adding the fine German/ DBR/BBC Radio mod for tonights foray.

Its a good thing!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 12:25 PM   #162
Ziggy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 14

My Little First Impressions Review, short and sweet. I am on 100% realism.

Everyone else Gripe. Interface/UI is not intuitive and down right frustrating. Thing's are missing. I don't necessarily demand it the way it use to be but when I cant figure out how to turn without looking it up, there is something wrong.

Shootin Stuff: I could hit the Polish Ships(hurt a little bit being Polish), torpedo went where I wanted them to go(which didn't always happen in SH4 for me so I am happy about that). I am just worried about when I am up against ships that move. I get this feeling I will be leading with my periscope and not the TDC.
I LOVE THE DECK CANNON. I love it, love it love it. Only problem is I don't know how to releave them, the crew sat on deck, even after I came into port. Poor guys hadn't moved in 2 days.

Overall things like Campaign, subdocks, walking around inside the ship. I just love it so far. So far has really made me feel like a captain. I was frustrated and mad trying to figure stuff out, but the trip back to Kiel, walking around up top, actually having to pay attention to not get rammed by other vessels in the harbor. I followed a KM DD into port, we were side by side. I don't know everything just felt right.

Pretty much what everyone has said but it makes more sense when you actually play it you see what they mean. They managed to mess up the main parts of the game but got all the little things right. Other than the big problems it really has the feel of an A title and not some little side burner project thrown together for a niche market.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:01 PM   #163
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
Im still waiting to buy not sure if my PC can run the thing anyways....

I can only say SH3 GWX is working as intended!!!

AND NO ..I DIDNT VOTE!

"Only if I can save first..."
Hanomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:40 PM   #164
grilldor
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I cant play this game without it locking up every 5 minutes... Between those it runs great...
Old 03-03-10, 01:52 PM   #165
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanomag View Post
Im still waiting to buy not sure if my PC can run the thing anyways....

I can only say SH3 GWX is working as intended!!!

AND NO ..I DIDNT VOTE!

i have read somewhere that if your machine can run sh4 you will be able to run sh5 but a lower level of detail - which, if i choose to buy sh5 will be good for me. i have voted but can't remember how !!!

and like you Hanomag, sh3 +gwx is working well and wonderful for me. and to think i got myself into such a steam about sh5 - whether to buy or not and the whole drm thing. i have not bought it and at the moment i am glad i have not. i reckon it will take 6-12 months for it all to settle down, then i will visit e-bay and scoup up someones unwanted copy at a reasonable price.

just had a look at amazon and it has gone down from 34.99 to 26.99 - is this an omen?

what ever happens to sh5 i whish it well - coz it's all we got for the next installement.

Bon Voyage...

...i'm off to the east coast of england - just heard about a convoy
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote