SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-19, 11:56 PM   #16
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Excerpt from "SINK 'EM ALL" by Charles Lockwood :

..."sighted a cruiser and destroyer, but the cruiser disappeared behind an island. BLUEGILL then then began an approach on the destroyer, but suddenly the cruiser reappeared, making high speed. It was a snap shot, for Barr only had time to make a quick set up, swing to the firing course, and fire six torpedoes."

Went on to say three hits out of six fish, and sunk the cruiser. If "snap shot" is okay with Admiral Lockwood (COMSUBPAC) who are we to argue?

As for the original question, my guess is the programmers used the early war specs for the torpedoes - 400 pounds of TNT at the beginning. After most of the Ralph Christie screwups were fixed (that bozo should have been court martialed) the warheads in the Mark 14 were 643 pounds of torpex, which had 150% of the bang of TNT. So a 643 pound torpex warhead equals about 965 pounds of TNT in blastology, more than twice the bang of the original they started the war with. So finding a mod with double the damage is a good start, I made one that's adjustable according to taste;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380

There are five optional mods, number 3 is 125 + 125 - increases the power and damage radius, which increases the hit point loss and spreads the damaged area for bigger holes. That one feels about right to me, although for the crazies there are two more powerful mods that - well, that they get a bang out of.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:13 AM   #17
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
As for the original question, my guess is the programmers used the early war specs for the torpedoes - 400 pounds of TNT at the beginning. After most of the Ralph Christie screwups were fixed (that bozo should have been court martialed) the warheads in the Mark 14 were 643 pounds of torpex, which had 150% of the bang of TNT. So a 643 pound torpex warhead equals about 965 pounds of TNT in blastology, more than twice the bang of the original they started the war with. So finding a mod with double the damage is a good start, I made one that's adjustable according to taste;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4380

There are five optional mods, number 3 is 125 + 125 - increases the power and damage radius, which increases the hit point loss and spreads the damaged area for bigger holes. That one feels about right to me, although for the crazies there are two more powerful mods that - well, that they get a bang out of.

KA BOOM!!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:37 AM   #18
Sniper297
The Old Man

Worst trouble with the Silent Hunter series, they never took a hint from the Microprose Silent Service series (1985 and 1990) - in that series you got full credit for sinking a ship, half credit for damaging one that didn't sink. With Silent Hunter if it won't go down all the way you get nothing at all, you might as well have stayed home. You might try the big one (135% blast, 175% hole size), but after laughing about blowing the Yamato into orbit with a single shot a few times most people go back to number 3 since it has the most realistic feel to it.
Old 01-21-19, 07:36 AM   #19
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I think Ubisoft consulted with JANAC when they did the "score" part of the game...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 10:14 PM   #20
Sniper297
The Old Man

Yeah, fog of war stuff. Especially with Christie's magnetic exploder (honestly the idiot had two years before we got into the war to study why the Germans and the Brits both realized the whole thing was a flawed theory, didn't he know how to read? Then he compounded the problem by insisting the subs under his command should ignore Lockwood's order to disable the magnetic part and only use the contact trigger for another year!) there were "hits" reported that were actually prematures for the first half of the war. IJN was a victim of that at Midway, they thought they had sunk the YORKTOWN at Coral Sea, then set it on fire at Midway, damage control put the fires out and they "sunk" it again, then an IJN sub got four hits which were actually two because the destroyer USS HAMMANN alongside caught the others. So between Coral Sea and Midway the official IJN score was 2 at Coral Sea (LEXINGTON was actually sunk, they scored YORKTOWN as sunk) and three at Midway (actually YORKTOWN three times) for a total of five.

Anyway the game is what it is, if there's no benefit to damaging them you have to actually sink them.
Old 01-22-19, 08:09 PM   #21
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Yeah, fog of war stuff. Especially with Christie's magnetic exploder (honestly the idiot had two years before we got into the war to study why the Germans and the Brits both realized the whole thing was a flawed theory, didn't he know how to read? Then he compounded the problem by insisting the subs under his command should ignore Lockwood's order to disable the magnetic part and only use the contact trigger for another year!) there were "hits" reported that were actually prematures for the first half of the war. IJN was a victim of that at Midway, they thought they had sunk the YORKTOWN at Coral Sea, then set it on fire at Midway, damage control put the fires out and they "sunk" it again, then an IJN sub got four hits which were actually two because the destroyer USS HAMMANN alongside caught the others. So between Coral Sea and Midway the official IJN score was 2 at Coral Sea (LEXINGTON was actually sunk, they scored YORKTOWN as sunk) and three at Midway (actually YORKTOWN three times) for a total of five.

Anyway the game is what it is, if there's no benefit to damaging them you have to actually sink them.

The whole sad, sorry saga can be found on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo

and is summarized here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/caa-product...pdf?1366918906

I'm just glad that SH4 doesn't have a setting that allows the odd rogue torpedo to make a circular run back to its mother ship...

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 09:33 PM   #22
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSharkbait View Post
I'm just glad that SH4 doesn't have a setting that allows the odd rogue torpedo to make a circular run back to its mother ship...
Wanna bet? Hold my bourbon, I'll show you. Or is that a TMO thing?
Old 01-22-19, 09:54 PM   #23
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did someone call my name?...

I was testing something else here, when this occurred. While the sub doesn't sink immediately, and I thought I was home free after we surfaced and started using the deck gun, but no. Within thirty minutes, we were in the dinghy (named propbeanie), with all of the code books and charts destroyed. The Chief even managed to save his comic book collection...

This was "filmed" before the introduction of CapnScurvy's AI Torpedoes, else I would have had another one or two coming at me... You probably can't see it in the video, but there is a periscope sticking out of the water in front of my sub, from an AI Sen Toku, sitting staionary...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 09:05 PM   #24
NZSharkbait
Seaman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Wanna bet? Hold my bourbon, I'll show you. Or is that a TMO thing?

But...but, I kept telling my crew and the Admiral back at Pearl that it was a Jap torpedo, fired from a Q-ship disguised as a modern medium composite freighter, that blew the boat sky high. Dang, this is gonna be embarrassing.

Kaigun: Imperial Japanese Navy webpage.

MSI B560M PRO-VHD Wifi/ Intel i3-10105F 3.7GHz/ 32Mb RAM/ Nvidia GTX 1660 Super OS Win 10-64
NZSharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 06:55 PM   #25
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default true draft

while we are discussing torpedos and torpedo damage, i have a question for which i have been trying to find an answer.

what file contains the true draft of a surface ship? by true draft i mean that if i am using auto-targeting and i line up a ship, lock settings in the periscope into the TDC and the torpedo from where does that depth setting come AND then where is the true draft setting of that ship stored? i am suspecting a disconnect between those two draft numbers for at least one ship and possible another but i do not want to say anything additional until i check it out.
i am only aware of the \data\sea\shipnamefolder\shipname.cfg file.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 07:07 PM   #26
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
while we are discussing torpedos and torpedo damage, i have a question for which i have been trying to find an answer.

what file contains the true draft of a surface ship? by true draft i mean that if i am using auto-targeting and i line up a ship, lock settings in the periscope into the TDC and the torpedo from where does that depth setting come AND then where is the true draft setting of that ship stored? i am suspecting a disconnect between those two draft numbers for at least one ship and possible another but i do not want to say anything additional until i check it out.
i am only aware of the \data\sea\shipnamefolder\shipname.cfg file.
\data\sea\shipnamefolder\shipname.sim file
Old 01-24-19, 08:33 PM   #27
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
\data\sea\shipnamefolder\shipname.sim file
thank you very much.
yes, yes, yes.
the two ships in question are the KMSSAda and the KMSSAden.
ship .cfg .sim

Ada 7.9m 12m

Aden 6.6m 12m

the reason i took notice is that i was consistently firing torpedos that went too deep for these two...but not other ships. when one uses auto-targeting one is at the mercy of stored data for certain settings such as ship draft.
so i can just about conclude that the TDC is taking data from the .sim file but the actual ship draft is taken from the .cfg.
this will be easy to finalize by changing the .sim to match the .cfg (or vice versa) and go out and see if the default auto-target results in a hit.
thanks again, old chap.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-19, 12:57 AM   #28
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
thank you very much.
the reason i took notice is that i was consistently firing torpedos that went too deep for these two...but not other ships. when one uses auto-targeting one is at the mercy of stored data for certain settings such as ship draft.
so i can just about conclude that the TDC is taking data from the .sim file but the actual ship draft is taken from the .cfg.

When autotargeting, I found success setting the individual torps to run at 10 ft, which ensures hits on the merchants...

jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-19, 08:03 AM   #29
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
When autotargeting, I found success setting the individual torps to run at 10 ft, which ensures hits on the merchants...

I have found success by setting the torpedo depth to be 2 feet less than the keel depth stated in the ID book ("n")
mikesn9 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 01:57 AM   #30
Sniper297
The Old Man

"if i am using auto-targeting and i line up a ship, lock settings in the periscope into the TDC and the torpedo from where does that depth setting"

"when one uses auto-targeting one is at the mercy of stored data for certain settings such as ship draft."

No.

On the TDC panel (right side of TDC slide out on the periscope or TBT screens) at the bottom is a slider for POSITION KEEPER and TORPEDO SETTINGS. Clicking that toggles from one to the other, and you set the depth and speed of each torpedo on that screen, then toggle back to the other for targeting. If you haven't been using that with the Mark 14, you've always been firing then at slow speed.

The other major problem is the way gyro angles are programmed - auto targeting sets the gyro angle for what compass direction the torpedo will turn to UNTIL THE FIRE BUTTON IS PRESSED. The moment you hit fire, the gyro spindle disengages and the compass course for the torpedo is set. Why is that a problem? Automatic OPEN OUTER DOORS takes several seconds, so by the time the torpedo actually leaves the tube your firing solution is about five seconds old, and it will miss behind the target nearly every time.

It's VITAL to hit the Q key for every torpedo you plan to fire before you get to the "final bearing and shoot" time, that way the torpedo will come out of the tube immediately, instead of waiting until the outer doors cycle and the gyro setting goes sour. If you're missing a lot, the common denominator is nearly always failing to hit the Q then W to cycle through the tubes and make sure the outer doors are open before firing. That automatic door opening is the most poorly programmed part of the whole game, so don't rely on it.