SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-15, 10:08 AM   #271
Lohi
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Lohi! after a considerable silent run.
Ty ty i shall be known as..

Silent Lurker 3
Lohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 11:10 AM   #272
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Alexsej

Yes that is correct.
You give yourself a career name and then start the SH3 tutorial.
I recommend the navigation tutorial.
When completed exit the game.
This tutorial sets up some data that LSH3-2015 uses and rewards you with a larger renown amount.
You will find this information useful for your own game.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=263
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 11:32 AM   #273
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206

Hello and thank you Urmel.

Please allow me to first THANK YOU and the entire LSH Team for this wonderful MOD! Even though I have only gone through the Naval Academy, completed my first training/shakedown cruise out of Stralsund and have just departed from Wilhelmshaven on 8 August ’39 enroute to AM18, I am really enjoying the “immersion” into the very lively world you have created. The activity in the harbors and the variety of new ships is wonderful, even though I was completely surprised by the arrival of Imperial Japanese Navy ships in the Baltic.

Anyway, I have tried, several times, to fix the problem with the d3d9.dll “Warning” that I keep getting and have used all of the tips/techniques that you and others have suggested, to no avail. In my latest attempts (three times this past weekend) I completely uninstalled SH3 and every folder/file associated with it that I could find; after which I cleaned the register with not one or two, but three different “cleaning” applications, including the two that you pointed me toward (thank you very much, they work very well and “fixed” several other issues that I didn’t know were there!).

So, I re-installed SH3 from DVD and re-installed DirectX9 from the same DVD; supposedly no problems with either installation. Then I copied the SH3 folder, renamed it and installed LSH3 2015, following the instructions to the letter. I activated the FULLVERSION MOD and started the game (with and without SH3 Commander) to run a Naval Academy “training mission”. It worked perfectly, no problems, just in 4:3 mode, which produced the big black bars on the sides of my 30” 8:5 monitor. I ran through the Navigation exam just for fun and quit; after which I activated the GUI Widescreen MOD and tried twice (once with SH3 Commander and once without) and got the dreaded “Warning” again, both times.

Then I tried the MS DirectX End User Runtime (DirectX 9.0 Web Setup), but had no luck there either. The installer stopped, posted a notice that it had detected a newer version of DirectX and would not apply any DX9 updates and then closed…fini!

I’m sure the problem is not related to not having the correct d3d9.dll installed; I have several older applications that use DX9, they all work correctly, and I have found DX9 folders and files in the System32 folder…everything seems to be in place. The warning notice I get specifically says "sh3.exe - Entry Point Not Found...The procedure entry point Direct3DCreate9Ex could not be located in the dynamic link library d3d9.dll." That seems to indicate the d3d9.dll file is there, but something is not in that file that should be in it.

So, anyway, if there are no real solutions, I suppose I will just keep tapping “29 OKs” to start the game…it’s worth the effort, even if it is very annoying.

Thanks again; good luck and good hunting.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 11:39 AM   #274
THEBERBSTER

Hi CB
I had the same problem with GWX.
Since upgrading my gpu I have not had the problem so it could be down to a setting in the gpu that is not compatible with LSH3-2015?

While 29 times is irritating at least it does not damage any part of the game.

Peter
Old 11-09-15, 12:44 PM   #275
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Lohi

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 02:16 PM   #276
CaptBones
The Old Man

Default Tried that too...still "no joy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasan View Post
Well, Urmel, I have often suggested to install the latest version, that is version 9.29.1974.

No one ever complained after installing that one on newer OS like WIN 7 / 8. And the game often works after that.

DX 10 / 11 does not include everything that version 9.x has.
Thanks danasan. I found your note after I sent my earlier reply today and downloaded the version for which you provided a link. I ran the installer and it apparently worked (it unpacked, installed, opened a window that said installation was completed, and offered the "Finish" button). But, I started the game as usual and had the same problem...oh well. I think I'll quit taking up time and space here and just live with it...thanks anyway.
Old 11-10-15, 03:19 AM   #277
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

OK, Mr. Bones,

You should be fine with DX 9 now. Could you please try to find the OLDEST or a rather old driver for your GPU / OS available and give it a go?

EDIT: Or see if WIN can come up with a GPU driver...

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."

Last edited by danasan; 11-10-15 at 09:27 AM.
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 11:26 AM   #278
Urmel
LSH2020 Manager

Downloads: 6

Hi all and tnx Danasan to help us out of these DX problems

Another hint is to uninstall the whole "Experience" Module if u have a Nvidia Card.
I read in many game forums "Nvidia Experience" have some problems, especialy by Mobile driver and/or windows 10.
I realy hope we found out soon the real problem behind those "DX symptoms" since Windows 8.1 and 10.

Also tnx to Mr. Bones for his nice words about supermod LSH3 Edition 2015.
So many persons since many years work out the ingame elements like Harbors, new Ships, new Airplains and stuff.
Edition 2015 is a collection of their great work.
My part was to ReDesign this old game and GUI elements with Eremit to bring all these patches and additional tools into one package.
For me this is the most important part to keep SH3 alive and interesting for new players.

regards Urmel
Urmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 12:08 PM   #279
CaptBones
The Old Man

Icon14 IT WORKED!!!

danasan...that did it...I rolled back the driver (twice) and version 332.21, dated Feb 2014 did the trick. Urmel...I did indeed start by uninstalling GeForce Experience and all associated drivers; then reinstalled the first older driver I still had in my NVIDIA "apps" folder. That first one (344.11) didn't work, but the second attempt was a success...THANK YOU all!

BTW Urmel, I really must say the virtual world your team has created for LSH3 is quite remarkable, given the capabilities of a 10-year-old game engine. I've "navigated" in and out of Stralsund a couple of times now and I really like the looks of the shoreline...green grass and vegetation instead of sand, gravel and rocks. I was wondering though, the lighthouse on the northern shore of the Greifswalder Bodden; is that supposed to represent the Greifswalder Oie lighthouse, just "relocated" because the island itself isn't there?
Old 11-10-15, 02:59 PM   #280
Alexsej
Sailor man

Downloads: 125
Default LSH III 2015 - manual targeting

Is there a targeting tutorial in english for manual targeting in LSH 2015?

Last edited by Alexsej; 11-12-15 at 11:20 AM.
Alexsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 04:35 PM   #281
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

You are very welcome, Mr. Bones. I'm glad you are sorted now.

"I invite you to go inside this submergible hole in the water where you can nicely hide from destroyers."
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 03:56 AM   #282
Alexsej
Sailor man

Downloads: 125

Is LSH III EDITION 2015 compatible with these:
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 4 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI with LRT Light
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ MkIId Update
ACM Reloaded for OLC 'Gold' MkII
Alexsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 04:30 AM   #283
GOZO
Commander

Downloads: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsej View Post
Is LSH III EDITION 2015 compatible with these:
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 4 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI with LRT Light
OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ MkIId Update
ACM Reloaded for OLC 'Gold' MkII
I don't think so Yet! BUT it would definitely be a real treat if those mods could be available for LSH3 2015!!!! On my wishlist definitely!!!

SHIV:TMo 2.5, RSRD, SCAF OLC, Ralle's modpack
SHIV: WDAD, Med Campaign
SHIII: GWX3 GOLD, OLCII Gold, ACM-reloaded interface mod, SHIIIcmndr 3.2, Full Realism/DiD
SHIII: LSH3 2015
Cold Waters with all bells and whistles
Finally SHV but still unmodded and still a noob....
GOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 02:55 PM   #284
CaptBones
The Old Man

Icon7 Few more comments and questions.

Hello again Urmel/LSH Team/fellow "Kaleuns";

Really do like LSH3 2015...thank you again! Now, I want to apologize in advance for writing such an extensive message in English and I understand the difficulty you might have translating everything. As such, I don’t expect a reply, but just wanted to make a few comments and hopefully offer some constructive criticism for your consideration.

During the time I was trying to solve the problem with my d3d9.dll “Warning”, I ran through the Naval Academy training scenarios, in order to become familiar with the LSH3 2015 changes to the stock game and then started a “test career” in the LSH-specific version of SH3 Commander. After getting the d3d9.dll problem fixed, I went through the Naval Academy Exams again and completed a training/shakedown cruise out of Stralsund in August ’39. There were several things I found that I decided to modify on my own and thought I’d let you know about, in case you find any of them to be useful in a future revision of the Super-MOD.

Here is what I did on my own, by installing new or replacement files and renaming the original files so they are there as back-ups if needed:

1. The opening screen “dirge” is very depressing, even considering the real world situation around which the game is built. There are also a number of other sounds that have “better” (IMHO) versions available, such as the ambient submarine interior and exterior diesel engine sounds, and several of the “Speech” files (I use German voices). The warnings in the MOD’s installation and instruction manuals do not indicate replacement of “Sound” folder files is risky, so I replaced the Menu_Master LOOP, several Speech Folder files and many other sounds, as well as adding a “Gramaphone” folder with a large selection of popular 1930’s-40’s music. No problems have occurred after doing so.

2. Since I keep a detailed, handwritten “KTB” during my patrols, I added the very useful GridXXXX Scheme by “Tycho” to the Navigation Map as menu_1024_768.ini item [G31 I35]; the position (Pos) needs to be revised to 125, 1650 to fit correctly (but keep the size 714, 922).

3. I found the Type 2A Navigation Map was missing the 1500m Range/Bearing circle (the other boats have it). So, I copied the NSS_Uboat7b_shp.tga file, renamed it to NSS_Uboat2A_shp, and copied it to the NSS_Uboat2A folder; it works perfectly.

4. I replaced labels in “en_menu.txt” with labels from the “EnglishToGermanNames” MOD by “Px3000” (although I had to manually change 2776=LEAD ANGLE SOLUTION and 2778=AUTO/MANUAL to 2776=VORHALTEWINKEL LÖSUNG and 2778=AUTO/MANUELL). I realize that those labels are obviously in German in the “de_menu txt” file and changing them in “en_menu.txt” might not be suitable for every non-German-speaking player, but it does lend a lot more “authenticity” to the game and learning the English meaning of the German terms was not that difficult, even for an “old dinosaur” like me.

5. As others have commented; being outside of Europe, I replaced the German and German_M .tga’s in "data\Textures\TNormal\tex" with the historically-correct (with swastika) flag .tga’s from my GWX3 installation. I think I mentioned earlier that I used JSGME to successfully replace the “ofaces” folder in the data\Menu\Data folder with the “Das Boot” crew faces and I attempted to replace the OfficerA and OfficerB .tga files in the data\Menu\Gui\Layout folder using JSGME, which did not work. Could anyone suggest why that didn’t work?

There are several other things that I’d like to modify, but need some advice on how to do so; or to not attempt to do so if they won’t work.

1. Can the Type 2 “Command Room” camera be relocated? It’s in a very awkward location and I have to switch to the Free Camera in order to get a good view within the Command Room.

2. Would it be possible to enlarge the Navigation Map? IMHO the big black area to the right of the Nav Map is really “wasted space”. The bearing circle, nomograph and “depth thingy” stored there could be relocated a bit to give a little more “working room” on the map. Actually, I think that having a draggable nomograph is not really useful…it has to be in a fixed location anyway when using it and having it located permanently on the far right side of the visible Nav map works quite well, if the map is enlarged a bit anyway. The bearing circle and “depth thingy” could then be relocated slightly farther to the right and would still be accessible.

Finally, could you/would you be willing, to give me a hint about which terrain texture files on your great MOD I could copy and use in GWX? With all the excellent features in that terrific Super-MOD, I have always been a little unhappy about the Kiel Canal looking more like the Suez Canal. Most of the shoreline areas in GWX seem to be mostly sand, gravel and rocks, while yours has green grass and textures that look like shrubbery.

One last question; as noted on page 16/62 of the 2010 Mini Manual, the only boat available at Erprobungsstelle Kiel in August 1939 is the Type VIIB. However, the chart on page 15/62 of the Mini Manual seems to indicate that a Type II boat should be available there before the start of the war. Is it possible to begin a career in August ’39 with a Type II boat?

Thanks again; good luck and good hunting.
Old 11-12-15, 06:48 PM   #285
THEBERBSTER

Hi CB
Quote:
One last question; as noted on page 16/62 of the 2010 Mini Manual, the only boat available at Erprobungsstelle Kiel in August 1939 is the Type VIIB. However, the chart on page 15/62 of the Mini Manual seems to indicate that a Type II boat should be available there before the start of the war. Is it possible to begin a career in August ’39 with a Type II boat?
I can confirm that both the VIIA and VIIB boats are both available from the start.
When you start SH3Commander for the first time it usually shows the VIIA as the default boat.
Use the drop down tab and if the VIIB is there then it can be selected as your starting boat.
In the Office the VIIB should also be available from the upgrades tab in August 1939.

Peter