SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-18, 03:04 PM   #16
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It'll be in with the new SCS campaign.
What's this about a new campaign? Please excuse my ignorance, I've spent the period between Christmas and New Year's in a haze of rich food and alcohol.
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 03:27 PM   #17
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

If you'll look back at the last few news posts from the devs here and on steam, they announced a couple months ago that they're working on a South China Sea campaign inspired by Tom Clancy's SSN. It should be released some time in the new year.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 01:14 PM   #18
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It'll be in with the new SCS campaign.

The model has the red hull, markings and emergency bouy purely because I like my subs with a little visual detail. I'm sure they look like black blobs IRL but this does not make for nice game visuals.

This is what the finished model looks like:
Gonna echo C-Wolf, here. We've got plenty of subs without the red paint and they look great. With the playable subs mod, I actually typically like the Soviet subs more because they look better without it (Akula and Victor series, IIRC).

I mean, we could add all kinds of pretty designs and shark teeth and whatever for "nicer game visuals", but that'd just be silly, because at the end of the day, nice game visuals are whatever make the experience the most immersive and enjoyable.

If you just use what looks good - well, everyone has different definitions of that. But there's only one design that looks real. And that is, therefore, the best design for an immersive and enjoyable experience.

...'cause man do I want to see that slick black design stealthing along underneath polar ice caps. Honestly I think the solid black color looks great to emphasize the feeling that the entire ship, mast to keel, is designed for stealth.

At the very least, perhaps the base files the textures were made from so modders got something they can make an all-black hull from?

Don't mean to sound harsh, though. I've spent 17 hours on this game in the 3 days I've had it. It's too good. And it got me to dust off an old account I haven't touched in some-odd ten years just to ping its forums here. Kudos.
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:14 PM   #19
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1_Division View Post
Gonna echo C-Wolf, here. We've got plenty of subs without the red paint and they look great. With the playable subs mod, I actually typically like the Soviet subs more because they look better without it (Akula and Victor series, IIRC).

I mean, we could add all kinds of pretty designs and shark teeth and whatever for "nicer game visuals", but that'd just be silly, because at the end of the day, nice game visuals are whatever make the experience the most immersive and enjoyable.

If you just use what looks good - well, everyone has different definitions of that. But there's only one design that looks real. And that is, therefore, the best design for an immersive and enjoyable experience.

...'cause man do I want to see that slick black design stealthing along underneath polar ice caps. Honestly I think the solid black color looks great to emphasize the feeling that the entire ship, mast to keel, is designed for stealth.

At the very least, perhaps the base files the textures were made from so modders got something they can make an all-black hull from?

Don't mean to sound harsh, though. I've spent 17 hours on this game in the 3 days I've had it. It's too good. And it got me to dust off an old account I haven't touched in some-odd ten years just to ping its forums here. Kudos.
Just gonna go hard devil's advocate on this and say that what's most real is staring at the inside of a submarine all day

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:25 PM   #20
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Just gonna go hard devil's advocate on this and say that what's most real is staring at the inside of a submarine all day
What's most real is joining the Navy and trying to get on a sub.

There's some balance, yes, but I don't think a realistic paint job would make the game more boring or hard to play.

Saying we want or need bright colors on the paint job to make it more attractive is a bit... not giving us enough credit, don't you think?

Plus, the realistic coloring even works well for the aesthetics of the game. It better conveys the feeling of the machine being made entirely for stealth, and the tense stalking that occupies its time.

If it were up to me, the 3d view would have much shorter view distance and get darker more rapidly with depth, too. Really give the feeling of being deep in the abyss. That eerie, unsettling, sort of surreal feeling is what made the old subsims so attractive to me. This still captures it, though, just could do it better.
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 03:08 PM   #21
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Its not that hard- just volunteer a couple of times, show a corpsman you can "pop" your ears on command, and then tap dance your way through a psych exam.

The hard part comes after you get on board and realize what you've done.

I'm more interested in accuracy. It still kinda bugs me that we have an all-black playable Virginia class in DW (RA mod) when the lower half of the hull should be dark gray.

I've posted about The Wonderful World Of Hull Coatings in the past and it all boils down to this:

There is a unique logic to submarines. A lot of it will be stuff you've never considered but the logic becomes inescapable once you know why.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 03:22 PM   #22
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
The Wonderful World Of Hull Coatings
I enjoy that a lot, thank you

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 12:03 AM   #23
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3

To be fair, they're making a game, and the game has to sell. Let's face it, we're a weird bunch and most people probably aren't going to be too concerned about proper coloration. A solid black metal tube surrounded by a murky blue tint does not a decent publicity screenshot make.

If a more visually impressive design draws the interest of more people who buy the game and support the further development of the game, that's just fine with me. Plus we all know that someone will edit the textures and correct it.
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 01:21 AM   #24
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

Right now all the playable subs use the same paint scheme, VLS and 688i will probably use variants of the same. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a different look on Seawolf, just for variety's sake.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 03:43 AM   #25
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Its not that hard- just volunteer a couple of times, show a corpsman you can "pop" your ears on command, and then tap dance your way through a psych exam.

The hard part comes after you get on board and realize what you've done.

I've posted about The Wonderful World Of Hull Coatings in the past and it all boils down to this:

There is a unique logic to submarines. A lot of it will be stuff you've never considered but the logic becomes inescapable once you know why.
Ahh the memories.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 11:30 AM   #26
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Ahh the memories.

"Have you ever wanted to harm yourself?"
"Nope"

"Have you ever wanted to harm someone else?"
"Well, yeah. That's why the recruiter wanted to talk to me."

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 04:58 AM   #27
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Nope. Even that is not true. You can actually have way more intense ("real") experiences in the inner realms.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 12:58 AM   #28
oversoul
Swabbie

Downloads: 61

Whoo boy, eight torpedo tubes of glory and WAA range cheat mode.

Not to mention being able to chase stuff down with [redacted] knots of power! Bring it on! SFSFO aka "where'd the hull coat go?"
oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 04:08 PM   #29
C-Wolf
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardDriver View Post
Nope. Even that is not true. You can actually have way more intense ("real") experiences in the inner realms.
Back in the day, they would throw you off the boat, (and out of the Navy) for having ("real") experiences in the inner realms. . .

Sagire, Classis, Destructum!
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-18, 04:22 AM   #30
LeopardDriver
Bosun

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Wolf View Post
Back in the day, they would throw you off the boat, (and out of the Navy) for having ("real") experiences in the inner realms. . .
Haha, ok, I get what yo mean.

Today they work with guys like us togehter.
LeopardDriver is offline   Reply With Quote