SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-09, 04:15 PM   #751
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Something strange. Played the scenario with the Alfa (Spec Op....). Looks great! However a Krivak III is just passing by (I would say less than a 1000 yards and the lookout is not even reporting it. I can see it when I am on the bridge however when I go back on the map I still can`t see it and cannot see it on the 3D view.

Am I doing something wrong? If I put show Allies I can see it but I do not need to do it to see it and being recognized by the lookout.
As well witht the OHP, when passing just beside another ship, the Link shows high for confidence and still low for Lookout. Very strange....
Thank you
Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 06:17 AM   #752
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 185

Driving Udaloy gives me a lot of enjoyment. But in fight vs OHP it hase no chance. The main reason is a big advantage of speed SM-1 missle. Maybe the chance for Udaloy will be firing salvo of eight missiles capability ?
And one question: I know that Udaloy is just a repainted OHP but it will be possible to make it guns firable ?
whiskey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 06:32 AM   #753
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey111 View Post
Driving Udaloy gives me a lot of enjoyment. But in fight vs OHP it hase no chance. The main reason is a big advantage of speed SM-1 missle. Maybe the chance for Udaloy will be firing salvo of eight missiles capability ?
And one question: I know that Udaloy is just a repainted OHP but it will be possible to make it guns firable ?
The Udaloy can fire its canon and from further out than the OHP.
You're doing it wrong if the OHP wins over the Udaloy.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 08:57 AM   #754
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Yes it's true. Udaloy's canon max range is advantage. But there is only one gun sooting, isn't it ? Any chance to fix it in the future ?

And another question: Lada project 677 sub is diesel electric but in game is nuclear powered sub. Why is it ? The same about U-212 (but this can be a an exception because of it unique engine).
Old 11-15-09, 10:26 AM   #755
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Yes it's true. Udaloy's canon max range is advantage. But there is only one gun sooting, isn't it ? Any chance to fix it in the future ?
I don't know about this.
On the other hand the in the next version the gun will fire in the correct angle.

Quote:
And another question: Lada project 677 sub is diesel electric but in game is nuclear powered sub. Why is it ? The same about U-212 (but this can be a an exception because of it unique engine).
Modern diesel electric subs (including the lada) carry towed arrays.
The way DW is implemented is that only nuclear subs carry TA, diesel eletrics no. So a compromise was made, we use the nuclear sub interface for diesel electrics so as to give them the TA sensor, and at the same time limit their maximum speed to 20 knots.
This does not eliminate the problem of "battery going dead", but for all practical purposes either in single or multiplayer you're not going to exhaust the battery of a diesel eletric unless you're going always at top speed, or you play at normal speeds for weeks uninteruptly. So being a non problem the decision was made. I think it was for the better.
Old 11-15-09, 11:28 AM   #756
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
The way DW is implemented is that only nuclear subs carry TA, diesel eletrics no
I didn't know about this. Now everything is clear. And solution You have chosen was probably the best solution.

What have You in plan for the future to add/change in this mod ?
It will be possible to change polish Kilo and OHP to controlable ?
Old 11-15-09, 07:24 PM   #757
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:

Besides what Goldorak told you already these subs are equipped with AIP system which would enable them to remain submerged in weeks time compared to conventional electric boat.
Old 11-16-09, 10:21 AM   #758
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

I'm trying to deploy Special Forces on land object but with no positive result. There is no avialiable clickable option to choose.
Did You change something or just my fault ?
Old 11-16-09, 07:27 PM   #759
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

In the DW Spec Op scenario (involving the Alfa) I noticed that the Russian Krivak III passing by at some 1000 yds had no Link entity associated with it.
I found that weird since sometimes you have freighters that has Link which would be very hard to see in the real life.

Which brings me to that point again; With the OHP when a Lookout is reporting a ship it is giving a low confidence but at least this is being done automatically.
On a sub while on the bridge, I found that the only way you can have a contact being reported on the map it is when you are using the periscope (even on the surface) and we have to ``Mark`` it. Then you have a ``visual`` contact being reported on the map.

Is there another way? Can it be done automatically like on an OHP?

Thank you
Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 04:41 AM   #760
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Yes I can confirm this. In LWAMI and pure 1.04 game version it works. We have all contacts automatically updated on map. This is not so painfull now because subs are mostly underwater but in some special scenarios it will be a problem.

And what with my question about special forces deployment ? Still don't know how to use it

I have noticed that ASW torpedos tropped by helo are not always detected by Active Sonar Interceptor (and I don't hear their pings). Sometimes torpedos pinging me and somteimes not. I know that torpedos can lock on by passive mode but even through termal layer when I'm at 3 kts ??!! Is this natural or have I problems with my sound card ?
(Subs used: U-212, Akula II improevd).

Last edited by whiskey111; 11-17-09 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 02:48 PM   #761
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Any news on the next version?
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 05:15 PM   #762
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
I have noticed that ASW torpedos tropped by helo are not always detected by Active Sonar Interceptor (and I don't hear their pings). Sometimes torpedos pinging me and somteimes not. I know that torpedos can lock on by passive mode but even through termal layer when I'm at 3 kts ??!! Is this natural or have I problems with my sound card ?
(Subs used: U-212, Akula II improevd).
Thats because the active intercept has a dead zone. Any active torpedo in that zone will not be detected. So beware and use passive sonar (towed array) for those bearings not covered by the active intercept.
Old 11-18-09, 07:09 PM   #763
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

Torpedo can be not detected by active intercept but is hearable for everyone in sub. Pings will not disappear when torpedo is in dead zone. This makes it very difficult because You don't know if torpedo is lock on You or not.

And why do You think that active intercept sonar receivers are not covering all directions ?
Old 11-19-09, 05:00 AM   #764
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
And why do You think that active intercept sonar receivers are not covering all directions ?
Do You have proof of the contrary ? That 360 degrees active intercept systems are being used in real life ?
In any case Lwami has no 360 degree active intercept and the mod strives for realism. So I think its no big problem for DWX.
Just beware of the limitations and how you can overcome them.
Old 11-19-09, 06:49 AM   #765
whiskey111
Machinist's Mate

No, I don't have proofs because I haven't found any information about this. So this is why I asked about this. I'm just interested.

And what about disappearing torpedo "ping sound" ? Do You have the same effect or it just my sound card bug ?

Tags
reinforce alert