SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-08-08, 10:54 AM   #1
Jib01
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Adding Allied Submarines to a mission. Why is it worthless ?

I thought that adding additional submarines like a wolfpack along with User Controlled subs, that the wolfpack subs would at least use their deckguns. I think in general they are worthless and just sit there doing nothing but acting as decoys. They don't even sink.

So, using more than one submarine is a waste of time. Right ?

Regards
Jib01
Old 04-08-08, 11:12 AM   #2
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yep. Currently there is no AI in SH4 that allows for "wolfpack" type of control. It's something we're "lobbying" for in the next patch or upgrade...

Your extra subs are, as you say, worthless except for the eye-candy appeal.
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 01:24 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib01
I thought that adding additional submarines like a wolfpack along with User Controlled subs, that the wolfpack subs would at least use their deckguns. I think in general they are worthless and just sit there doing nothing but acting as decoys. They don't even sink.

So, using more than one submarine is a waste of time. Right ?

Regards
Jib01
I don't know how the regular subs work but I put the minisub in one mission and if I am right close to it, it will scoot away a 100yds or so then stop. If DDs attack it will move, but otherwise it just sits there, doen't even move the speed you set unless approached. I hit it with a torpedo and it flew up in the air came back down and sat there. Since it won't sink I tried to set it to disappear at a waypoint to simulate it sinking but it won't follow the waypoints because the only time it moves is if it's approached and then it moves in a random direction so it never reaches the waypoint.
So, ya they are kind of useless. Don't know why they even put them in unless they had plans that never got programmed.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 AM   #4
Jib01
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
And PT boats as well....

PT boats stand as worthless also. Just the deck guns fire. No torpedos. Another item to upgrade.....

Regards
Jib01
Old 04-09-08, 01:19 PM   #5
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jib01
PT boats stand as worthless also. Just the deck guns fire. No torpedos. Another item to upgrade.....

Regards
Jib01
I agree!! I tried them once figured the torpedos would fire. Not!!

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 04-09-08, 02:02 PM   #6
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

SH4 sucks sometimes. The subsAI is useless as said above. I tried to land a seaplane in the mission creator and always end up crashing.
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 03:10 PM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJonesFootlocker
SH4 sucks sometimes. The subsAI is useless as said above. I tried to land a seaplane in the mission creator and always end up crashing.
Make it disappear at 5ft and spawn a new one with height of 0. :rotfl:Or try landing higher so it doesn't hit the water.

Peabody

Old 05-06-08, 02:57 PM   #8
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

I've been ranting about Ai subs & torpedos since SH3 v1.01, the devs have heard it loud and clear, (they have evn acknowleged it and stated that it's something they will consider in the future).... whether they will actually bring it to SH4 remains to be seen.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote