SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-08, 01:29 AM   #586
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
Quick question, how do you set the depth on the torps,for different ships?,do you go by the draft measurements?
Quick answer, yes.

Not so quick answer...
I could swear GWX 2.1 has made magnetic torps more "faulty" (if they did, then it's a good thing IMO) but at any rate I try not to use them cos I usually end up just wasting a torp. That said, when I do use them I set depth to draft+1 in flat seas (0m/s wind speed) and draft+2 in rough seas (15m/s wind speed) and something in-between when the weather is in-between.
When firing impact I go no deeper than draft-2 (much shallower than that in rough seas because the ship will go up and down a lot on the waves and your impact torp could bounce off the lower part of the hull or even pass right under the ship).

Have fun!
Old 05-10-08, 01:50 AM   #587
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Ubermod 2.1.1 released!

Changed in this version:
  • Reduced the underwater visibility to 50m.
  • Tweaked the to the so-called "refraction" effect underwater.
  • Added the "Enemies of Germany" (flag) chart to the binoculars.
  • Removed the single-pixel "dot" at the centre of each map icon (for reasons I hope are obvious).
  • Made hydrophone contact lines a bit less accurate.
  • Made warship hydrophone contacts appear in red.
  • Reduced the "zoomability" of the navmap.
  • Updated the Player Guide.
Cheers,
OLC
Old 05-10-08, 01:52 AM   #588
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Great video on that Convoy attack OLC.... a true master at work!

But how did you plot the convoy course so precisely that you didn't have to use the AOB finder? I'm assuming you just entered 90 degrees AOB (Port) into the TDC because you were coming from a right angle into the convoys course? Is this correct?
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 02:31 AM   #589
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
...how did you plot the convoy course so precisely that you didn't have to use the AOB finder?
I draw a line between "where it was then" and "where it is now".

Quote:
I'm assuming you just entered 90 degrees AOB (Port) into the TDC because you were coming from a right angle into the convoys course? Is this correct?
Yes that's correct. Of course I set the scope point at zero first, and made sure never to turn the scope without TDC auto update being ON (and similarly, never turn the scope with it OFF).

That (map plotting) is my preferred method of calculating AOB, and it was IRL too, I understand.

I only use the AOB-Finder on rare occasions e.g. one time a fast moving task force with a carrier unexpectedly appeared in poor visibility heading more-or-less in my direction at high speed. I had to dive immediately to avoid being seen. It was moving far too fast for me to flank so I had one chance to shoot and no map data - that's the kind of occasion when an AOB-Finder really comes in useful.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-10-08 at 03:32 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 03:08 AM   #590
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
...how did you plot the convoy course so precisely that you didn't have to use the AOB finder?

Quote:
I'm assuming you just entered 90 degrees AOB (Port) into the TDC because you were coming from a right angle into the convoys course? Is this correct?
Yes that's correct. Of course I set the scope point at zero first, and made sure never to turn the scope without TDC auto update being ON.

That (map plotting) is my preferred method of calculating AOB, and it was IRL too, I understand.

I only use the AOB-Finder on rare occasions e.g. one time a fast moving task force with a carrier unexpectedly appeared in poor visibility heading more-or-less in my direction at high speed. I had to dive immediately to avoid being seen. It was moving far too fast for me to flank so I had one chance to shoot and no map data - that's the kind of occasion when an AOB-Finder really comes in useful.
When did you set 90 degrees AOB port?,does it show you doing that in the tutorial or earlier in your patrol when you were flanking the convoy.So if i understand this right you line up 0 bearing in the attack scope,on a ship lock the target,identify the ship,switch too manual TDC,and set 90 degrees AOB port,then flip the switch{TDC to AUTO} ,then unlock the scope?..is that right.
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 03:12 AM   #591
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Yes that's correct. Of course I set the scope point at zero first, and made sure never to turn the scope without TDC auto update being ON.

Thanks for the info!
But since GWX 2.x does't have any contact tails anymore on convoys and single merchants... how do you get the course line so "spot on"?
I mean that one tanker was like 3 clicks away and you still got a perfect hit.
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Old 05-10-08, 03:24 AM   #592
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
When did you set 90 degrees AOB port?
Before I started recording.

Quote:
So if i understand this right you line up 0 bearing in the attack scope,on a ship lock the target,identify the ship,switch too manual TDC,and set 90 degrees AOB port,then flip the switch{TDC to AUTO} ,then unlock the scope?..is that right.
Nope. :p
Old 05-10-08, 03:29 AM   #593
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info!
But since GWX 2.x does't have any contact tails anymore on convoys and single merchants... how do you get the course line so "spot on"?
I mean that one tanker was like 3 clicks away and you still got a perfect hit.
I already said, I drew a line from where the convoy was a few hours before the attack to where it was at the time of the attack. If you mark the position of a convoy and then, several hours later, spot the same convoy again and mark it's new position, then you have two positions. Draw a line from one to the other. What's so hard to get about that? As for the accuracy, if the convoy travelled 100km between the two sightings then your two map markers can be out by a few kilometers each and you'd still have the course (bearing) accurate to within a couple of degrees.
Old 05-10-08, 03:35 AM   #594
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Quote:
As for the accuracy, if the convoy travelled 100km between the two sightings then your two map markers can be out by a few kilometers each and you'd still have the course (bearing) accurate to within a couple of degrees.
Thats answers my question... cheers!

Old 05-11-08, 03:18 AM   #595
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 292

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So if i understand this right you line up 0 bearing in the attack scope,on a ship lock the target,identify the ship,switch too manual TDC,and set 90 degrees AOB port,then flip the switch{TDC to AUTO} ,then unlock the scope?..is that right.
OLC, i was wondering if you can make another tutorial video on this part:p
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 03:22 AM   #596
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
OLC, i was wondering if you can make another tutorial video on this part:p
har har
No, I'm not going to start making video tutorials explaining stock behaviours.
Old 05-11-08, 12:35 PM   #597
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hallo again OLC.

I have downloaded the 2.1.1v of your mod. I haven't installed it yet but i am planning to do so soon. The 2.1.0v left me no doubt and the 3X scope won't be a problem. A tiny graphics' problem though...

I am having some rectangles and squares appearing on the night sky. I had the same problem before installing the Ubermod (i know this is a common gfx issue) and in addition to this the sky now looks ''foggy'' although my officer reports ''no clouds''. The only part of the sky which is not foggy is the one right above me. With the exception of the rectangles etc. is this normal?

With regards,
tomfon
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 12:44 PM   #598
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hallo again OLC.

I have downloaded the 2.1.1v of your mod. I haven't installed it yet but i am planning to do so soon. The 2.1.0v left me no doubt and the 3X scope won't be a problem. A tiny graphics' problem though...

I am having some rectangles and squares appearing on the night sky. I had the same problem before installing the Ubermod (i know this is a common gfx issue) and in addition to this the sky now looks ''foggy'' although my officer reports ''no clouds''. The only part of the sky which is not foggy is the one right above me. With the exception of the rectangles etc. is this normal?

With regards,
tomfon
What do you mean by "foggy"?
Old 05-11-08, 01:06 PM   #599
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Hallo again OLC.

With regards,
tomfon
I am sorry i can't describe it in a better way.... I may get a pic.
A last question. Should i check or uncheck the "no map contacts update" box if i choose to install the 3rd part of your mod?
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 01:17 PM   #600
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hallo again OLC.

With regards,
tomfon
I am sorry i can't describe it in a better way.... I may get a pic.
A last question. Should i check or uncheck the "no map contacts update" box if i choose to install the 3rd part of your mod?
Uncheck.
A pic of this "foggy" thing would be useful.