SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-19, 12:05 AM   #16
migman
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

two things I would like added to WOS Mod

1. Camera shake based on the closeness of Depth Charge Explosion
2. Some way of simulating sleep for the player instead of using time compression like they do in Fallout 3 mod

Awesome mod !!!
migman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 06:40 PM   #17
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Tell me how difficult this would be:

A way of switching on/off navigation lights on Uboat. Imagine entering friendly port, and turning on green red lights.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 03:17 AM   #18
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by migman View Post
2. Some way of simulating sleep for the player instead of using time compression like they do in Fallout 3 mod
This one you can roleplay easily already - click on your bed, turn camera towards the pillow, hit time compression. Before getting up, return to 1x TC.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 08:47 AM   #19
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Simulate sleep ?

Change your gameplay to realtime, sync your game time with real time, go to bed in the evening and in the morning see what has happened.

Or, if you want to take it really far, put a stretcher next to your comp, sleep beside it with your captain in his bunk,
have the volume up and you will be awakened by any event or crew shouting out they spotted smoke on the horizon.
You can also use Naval watch sleep patterns which should help you in that respect.
Tip, do this only during the holidays.

Old 02-14-19, 12:29 PM   #20
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by migman View Post
1. Camera shake based on the closeness of Depth Charge Explosion
Camera shaking should already be affected by DC explosion range. It isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Tell me how difficult this would be:

A way of switching on/off navigation lights on Uboat. Imagine entering friendly port, and turning on green red lights.
That's complicated. There's a SHIII mod allowing the player to manually raise/lower the ensign when leaving/entering port. I never dug into it, but I think they used the same controller allowing the raising/lowering of periscopes. Too bad, in none of the SH games there is an player control for switching on/off lights, so I am afraid that there's no easy way to add a similar feature in game.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 04:47 PM   #21
bstanko6
Admiral

Couldn’t it just be a layer! Like a red or green layer over the spots on the boat where lights are located?

I know nothing of this stuff so it may be a ridiculous request.
Old 02-25-19, 04:11 AM   #22
bstanko6
Admiral

Here’s a mod I could use...
One that sends all message reports to my phone! That way I know when a ship is spotted, or weather alerts away from the computer!
Old 02-26-19, 06:12 AM   #23
bstanko6
Admiral

How about a mod for TWoS that automatically removes flags from bridge at so many KM from subpens?
Old 03-01-19, 12:13 AM   #24
bstanko6
Admiral

Is there a way to restrict raising the periscope when moving faster than 4knots? That was in h.sie patch. Can it be modded though?
Old 03-01-19, 09:05 PM   #25
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Couldn’t it just be a layer! Like a red or green layer over the spots on the boat where lights are located?

I know nothing of this stuff so it may be a ridiculous request.
No request is ridiculous, as long as the one who is asking is ready to accept the unfeasibility of his idea. I am not suggesting that user-controlled position lights are impossible. We might contrive a complicated method to implement something that, with some imagination by the player, could resemble them. Sure, that would be a nice eye candy, but I wouldn't put it towards the top of my todo list

Quote:
Here’s a mod I could use...
One that sends all message reports to my phone! That way I know when a ship is spotted, or weather alerts away from the computer!
What reason are you going to give to your boss when, after receiving an sms by your watch officer, you will ask him an half day off work lol

Quote:
How about a mod for TWoS that automatically removes flags from bridge at so many KM from subpens?
Have you checked if anything similar has ever been made for SHIII/IV?

Quote:
Is there a way to restrict raising the periscope when moving faster than 4knots? That was in h.sie patch. Can it be modded though?
Of all your ideas, this is the one I would start from if only I knew how to achieve it. I am afraid that until an H.sie, Stiebler or The Dark Wraith won't look (back) into the SH5 code, there will be little chance of seeing cool new features like this one
Old 03-01-19, 09:50 PM   #26
bstanko6
Admiral

gap...
You are the man! Yeah I know some of these are crazy ideas but I just wanted to add to the think tank! You never know what kind of crazy individual is willing to tackle any of them. I’m always willing to see the SH series go forward in anyway possible!
Old 03-05-19, 09:39 AM   #27
Merboe
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

The most horrible thing in SH5 to me is that the textures are a mess.

I am trying to make a good texture for the Alberich and Tarnmatte skin, yet it is almost impossible to

a) find the correct textures being used as there are tons of textures for the same ship and part of the ship all in one folder

b) align the textures correctly, so you could actually add some detail to the ship using normal maps and so on.

I‘ve been modding games for some time now, until SH5 caught me, I have never seen such a horrible file setup and UV mapping.

Is it possible to get the meshes out of SH5, import them into something like blender or so and then reimport them? I would do a rework of the textures if that would be possible. There is so much you can get out of this game, even tho it‘s so old already. I have done some texture rework for my own ship and it‘s a nightmare cause you have to load the game to check if it‘s aligned correctly after replacing the file.

Would be nice to see this cleaned up, especially the tex/normal folder is cluttered with all kinds of seemingly unused textures.
Merboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 09:49 AM   #28
Merboe
Swabbie

another one:

I am playing the German version of SH5, the texts are still english but the voices for example when you ask for depth under keel is German. Now it is in the wrong order.

In english 52 is „fifty two“, in German it is „zwei und fünfzig“ („two and fifty“).

Would be nice to know where you can change this, it would simply be changing the order in which the meters are given. The soundfiles are already there. Currently he says „und fünfzig | zwei“ it needs to be „zwei | und fünfzig“.
Old 03-05-19, 09:52 AM   #29
Merboe
Swabbie

number three:

Somewhere I found the option to enable the snorkel for the type 7C.
The snorkel is located where the player would stand on the turret, so it would be nice if it was moved maybe a foot or two (around half a meter) backwards, so you don‘t clip into it all the time.
Old 03-06-19, 11:21 AM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboe View Post
The most horrible thing in SH5 to me is that the textures are a mess.

I am trying to make a good texture for the Alberich and Tarnmatte skin, yet it is almost impossible to

a) find the correct textures being used as there are tons of textures for the same ship and part of the ship all in one folder

b) align the textures correctly, so you could actually add some detail to the ship using normal maps and so on.

I‘ve been modding games for some time now, until SH5 caught me, I have never seen such a horrible file setup and UV mapping.

Is it possible to get the meshes out of SH5, import them into something like blender or so and then reimport them? I would do a rework of the textures if that would be possible. There is so much you can get out of this game, even tho it‘s so old already. I have done some texture rework for my own ship and it‘s a nightmare cause you have to load the game to check if it‘s aligned correctly after replacing the file.

Would be nice to see this cleaned up, especially the tex/normal folder is cluttered with all kinds of seemingly unused textures.
You can accomplish both tasks (i.e. locating textures used by each 3D model and exporting meshes with UV projections) by using TDW's GR2 Editor

Each U-boat model featured in game has its own set of textures. U-boat coating/camo textures have the same names as standard skins but with the addition of a suffix. In order to know which suffix is used by each camo scheme, using Goblin Editor open the following file...

Silent Hunter 5\data\Objects\Sensors\coatings.GR2

...merge coatings.sim into the project and in the Project Tree expand each AntiSensorCoating controller to see its parameters.

I hope that answers your doubts. If not, don't hesitate asking for further clarifications