SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-14, 01:32 PM   #1
Flaskegaard
Medic

Downloads: 847
Uploads: 0
Default Change torpedo warhead colors in TMO?

I am trying to swap torpedo warhead colors in TMO. The Mk 14 has a green warhead color and the Mk 18 has a gold warhead color. I'm trying to switch their colors ONLY, without changing their characteristics / specs. I have gone into the files and used S3D, but nothing has worked. Does anyone know if it's possible, and if so, how?
Flaskegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 05:10 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Download the US TORPEDO OVERHAUL v1.1 mod and inspect the files to see how Captain America did it, then you can have a go at the TMO files.
Note: This is for vanilla 1.5 and the link to the mod is still working.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=148526
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 02:03 PM   #3
Flaskegaard
Medic

MOONLIGHT, That worked partially... the torpedoes look great in the senario when I checked them during lauch with the external camera under water, however, in the torpedo loadout screen in the sub management section, they are a scrambled mix of three skins and sizes. Now I have to figure out how to make them appear properly in the loadout screen...
Old 07-17-14, 10:54 PM   #4
Flaskegaard
Medic

I just found an OLD thread called: "[REL] What color is your torpedo?" posted by CASTORP345. Not surprising, the link is dead,and I got directed to a website called RapidShare. I had no idea where to find it there, if at all. I PM'd Castorp345, but no answer. This may just be a shot in the dark, but is there a chance anyone else out there who might have this mod, and if so, send me a working D/L link? The torpedo skins in it are exactly what I'm looking for. I tried to find out how to get into the US_torpedoes512 bitmap using S3D, but no joy. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help...
Old 07-18-14, 12:33 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You might give this one a try.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2736
Old 07-20-14, 03:03 PM   #6
Flaskegaard
Medic

Thanks for the suggestion, Sailor Steve, but the same thing happened as before, the torpedoes changed in the senario, but not in the torpedo loadout screen. I also found out why, the suggested mods are for v1.5, I'm using v1.4. I just need to learn out how to get into the US_torpedo512 bitmaps and adjust the skins myself, as all the 1.4 torpedo mods are old and dead, and the 1.5 ones don't work on 1.4.
Old 07-20-14, 03:06 PM   #7
Flaskegaard
Medic

Originally Posted by castorp345
i got to wondering about historic torpedo appearance and found many images of the various USN types, but none from the WWII time period showed the sort of coloration that is currently used in the game's torpedo information display (or did someone mod the torps to those colors? 'can't remember what stock looked like... also, i'd except from this the Mk. 16). so i decided to redo the US_torpedoes512 bitmap to more accruately [?] reflect what seems to have been the actual 'coloration' of the torpedos in use for this era. i left the Mk. 16 alone in the original bmp i have on my hd (whether it's someone else's mod work or stock), but adjusted all the others. there was certainly some conjecture in the scheme i've opted for, so if anyone has better information then i'm all ears!

additionaly, this is the dds from 1.4, so if you're running 1.5 (which i'm not yet) then you'll have to cut&paste these into the expanded 1.5 file.

d/l link ==> http://rapidshare.com/files/98190719...es512.dds.html

and preview ==>

as always, make sure to backup your original.

cheers,
hc

HERE IS THE OLD THREAD AND THE TORPEDO COLORS I'M TRYING TO GET...

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 07-20-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-21-14, 02:31 AM   #8
Flaskegaard
Medic

I found the torpedo colors I was looking for in RFB v1.4, however I noticed the Mark 14 and Mark 23 colors are switched. I tried using S3D to go into Menu/Gui/Layout/US_torpedoes512.dds or .tga files, but will not let me get past the LAYOUT folder and access the US_Torpedoes512 files. Is that the path I should use to swap the torpedo colors, or is there somewhere else I need to go?

Last edited by Flaskegaard; 07-22-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 02:21 AM   #9
Flaskegaard
Medic

Well, I have managed to use S3D to get to the US_torpedoes512.dds and .tga files, but when I highlight them, I get an error message that says: "The file can not be opened. Unknown file type." I don't suppose there is a torpedo texture / color tutorial out there anywhere? Several forum members have given good advise on WHAT to do, but I need to know HOW to do it. What programs or mod tools do I use? S3D? Gimp? or some other mod tool I'm not yet aware of? I was told I need to "redo" the US_torpedoes512 bitmap. Ok, WHERE is this bitmap located, WHAT mod tool do I use to open it, and HOW do you redo the bitmap?
Old 07-23-14, 08:19 AM   #10
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaskegaard View Post
I just found an OLD thread called: "[REL] What color is your torpedo?" posted by CASTORP345. Not surprising, the link is dead,and I got directed to a website called RapidShare. I had no idea where to find it there, if at all. I PM'd Castorp345, but no answer. This may just be a shot in the dark, but is there a chance anyone else out there who might have this mod, and if so, send me a working D/L link? The torpedo skins in it are exactly what I'm looking for. I tried to find out how to get into the US_torpedoes512 bitmap using S3D, but no joy. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help...
to edit the dds and tga files use the Paint.Net image editing tool

s3d is best used for editing the sim, zon, and dat files

and for any text files you need to edit use windows notepad to open and edit those
Old 07-23-14, 10:25 AM   #11
Flaskegaard
Medic

Cool. There is the issue, I need to download Paint.net. I was messing around with parent ID's and such with S3D. I'll give it a try...Thank you!
Old 07-23-14, 12:20 PM   #12
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

also look into this mod http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...83#post1452383

its got a working link and you can use it to see the files you need to work with
Old 07-23-14, 04:19 PM   #13
Flaskegaard
Medic

Webster, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. Here is my plan as of now... I want to use the torpedo graphics which are shown in post #7 above, that were created by Castorp345. They were created for RFB 1.4 and I downloaded them into my TMO 1.7.6 game with no issues. However, his mod has the Mark 14 as a silver (metal) torpedo with a gold (brass) warhead, and the Mark 23 as a black torpedo with a gold (brass) warhead. I want to switch them in my game...I want the Mark 14 to be the torpedo with the black body/gold warhead and the Mark 23 to be the torpedo with the silver body/gold warhead. I don't want to change the torpedo colors, just re-label which torpedo color is assigned to which torpedo name, using S3D or Notepad, which ever one will make it work. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. IF...that cannot be done for whatever reason...Then I will have to follow the suggestions you posted and color the torpedoes the way I want them using Paint.net using the other torpedo mods to go by. I deeply apologize for my extreme noobness in this matter, and greatly appreciate all the help and suggestions that you and the others have offered...