SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-14, 09:51 PM   #16
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
personally I think its because some ships are using code from other ships to control them so this CA might be using the ship damage codes for say a DD as an example.

its all in the coding of the game and would mean digging deep into that to make sure the game is looking at and using the correct damage file for each ship
If this is what is happening, (and I'll stipulate you know better than I), would it be possible to rename the problem ship, and all the associated files, to fix this?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-14, 05:29 AM   #17
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
If this is what is happening, (and I'll stipulate you know better than I), would it be possible to rename the problem ship, and all the associated files, to fix this?

I had always thought so that if you added the troubled ship as though you added a new ship to the game and replaced the troubled files with ones from a ship that the files work correctly then it should "in theory" solve the issue.

no one ever seamed to care enough about a handful of ships that files changes didn't seam to have the desired effects. I guess they just didn't want to go through all that work for what I assume they thought was a minor unimportant issue when compared with everything else in the game that needed attention

what I figured needed to be done was to find a ship that all the peramiters seamed to function correctly and changes to values all had the expected results or close to it then copy those files to a separate work area and make back up copies for the inevitable screw-ups lol, then strip out the identification aspects and code address and change them to the desired ships name.

now here is where it gets tricky, do you simply replace the core controlling files to look for the game files for that ship such as damage and sim, dat, zon, or make those files new as well which is probably needed as well. how far down the rabbit hole do you need to go with this is the question and I suspect everything will need to be done from scratch new to avoid being stuck back in the buggy code that wasn't working for those ships.

IMO the problem became when the devs got lazy or it was required to do so because of timing issues, and they simply copied other ship files and renamed them so the game uses a lot of "recycled" files that were just renamed and they may have missed some of the changes that needed to be made for whatever reasons. since they were already working files they were just looking for the wrong game control files for that particular ship.

now you see where something that sounds simple and easy can get very involved if you want to try and fix and repair the files to look for the right things or do you want to recreate the files completely for each ship as the devs most likely intended if they had the time to.

Last edited by Webster; 07-01-14 at 05:42 AM. Reason: uestion
Old 07-01-14, 07:52 AM   #18
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Quote:
personally I think its because some ships are using code from other ships to control them so this CA might be using the ship damage codes for say a DD as an example.
Bonjour,

What you say is true for the cloned units.
I had already explored this track first but it fails. The three examples I posted here (Shokaku, Tayio, Deutchland) are not "modded" ships (vanilla game), and do not involve a parent unit.

Anyway, thank you for your interest in the problem.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 12:13 AM   #19
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I had always thought so that if you added the troubled ship as though you added a new ship to the game and replaced the troubled files with ones from a ship that the files work correctly then it should "in theory" solve the issue.

no one ever seamed to care enough about a handful of ships that files changes didn't seam to have the desired effects. I guess they just didn't want to go through all that work for what I assume they thought was a minor unimportant issue when compared with everything else in the game that needed attention....
Yes, I can certainly understand there are lots of things in the game that could use attention.

It's too bad we don't have some better tools; like a real-time display of hit points/buoyancy/etc. as a target suffers damage, so we would know what is really going on.

Old 07-02-14, 03:19 PM   #20
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Yes, I can certainly understand there are lots of things in the game that could use attention.

It's too bad we don't have some better tools; like a real-time display of hit points/buoyancy/etc. as a target suffers damage, so we would know what is really going on.

my biggest pet peeve is the death screen cut off, I want to see the sub die and flood not just spin off in birds eye view telling me I sunk from damage or flooding. I would rather experience it happening then when its obvious you can do the cut away scene but it comes way too early IMHO and ruins the immersion of it. the worst is say if you are surfaced in a battle to the death you know your going to lose but cant fight until you sink because the game decides you have had enough. I want the game to wait until I actually sink from damage to give me a death screen so I can experience the fight to the death.

sadly the only solution ever found to this was to make the sub indestructible so only flooding kills it and that ruins every other form of damage effect so its just way too unrealistic.
Old 07-02-14, 11:30 PM   #21
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Yeah, I can understand that.

The thing about the death screen business, that I don't like is that we might hit a mine, or be blasted by a plane coming through the clouds, but not really know what happened. How many posts have we seen by people asking what killed them? At least SHCE would tell you what killed you.
Old 07-05-14, 10:45 AM   #22
Popeye the Salior
Sailor man

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibus View Post
At home, we said, "Tell me what you want, I'll tell you how to do without."

Seriously, I do not find it very realistic that we can sink Shokaku with a single torpedo, then it takes four to Taiyo. So I want to fix that.
Japanmese weren't great at damage control at all they didn't have great watertight compartmilaztion.

Popeye the Salior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 03:36 AM   #23
Gibus
Ensign

Bonjour,

Thank you for your reply but my initial question was: how to increase the resistance of ships at torpedoes impacts.

To answer your comments:
June 19, 1944 at 11:22, Shokaku was hit by three torpedoes fired by USS Cavalla and sank at 14:01, nearly three hours later.
October 25, 1944, sister-ship Zuikaku sank after being hit by 9 bombs and 8 torpedoes.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Old 07-09-14, 07:30 PM   #24
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Bonjour,

Thank you for your reply but my initial question was: how to increase the resistance of ships at torpedoes impacts.

To answer your comments:
June 19, 1944 at 11:22, Shokaku was hit by three torpedoes fired by USS Cavalla and sank at 14:01, nearly three hours later.
October 25, 1944, sister-ship Zuikaku sank after being hit by 9 bombs and 8 torpedoes.
use a combination of hit points and armor levels to get the desired affect, trying to do it with just one value may lead to strange unintended side effects.
Old 07-10-14, 03:22 AM   #25
Gibus
Ensign

This is indeed true.
For the tests I performed multiple combinations. Hence my conclusion, perhaps hasty, that Armor_Level and Hit_Points are not the dominant parameters to address the problem.

Dick O'Kane
Old 07-10-14, 04:45 PM   #26
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
This is indeed true.
For the tests I performed multiple combinations. Hence my conclusion, perhaps hasty, that Armor_Level and Hit_Points are not the dominant parameters to address the problem.
they are the dominant parameters its just that for "some" ships those values don't register for that ship so some "other" ships parameters are being used by the game for that ship making the files you are editing basically useless.

where it gets fuzzy is its not all the values in the file, sometimes its the draft or the center point of gravity or the guns that have issues so a file may work fine for 5 out of 6 parameters then you find one that doesn't respond to your changes because some coding error has it using some unknown ships file you aren't working on.

some ships have only submerged draft heights and some have surface draft heights and some have both. when I did my draft fix mod I found I had to delete the submerged drafts for those ships before the game would use my surfaced draft heights. there is a lot of buggy code in the game so you have to play detective and seek out what could be controlling it if the values you are changing have no effect
Old 07-12-14, 01:50 AM   #27
Gibus
Ensign

Quote:
There is a lot of buggy code in the game so you have to play detective and seek out what could be controlling it if the values you are changing have no effect
Bonjour,
I understand. I think I'll stop using the sun.

Dick O'Kane
Old 07-12-14, 02:43 AM   #28
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
some ships have only submerged draft heights and some have surface draft heights and some have both.
I've wondered about that.

Old 07-19-14, 03:54 AM   #29
Gibus
Ensign

Bonjour,

After extensive research, and thanks to my friend Jean74 also registered on this forum, the reason for the fragility of CA Deutchland (which explodes at the first torpedo) was identified.
This is a big bug in the file NCA_Deutchland.zon about 12 collision spheres.
After correction, 4 torpedoes are now needed to sink the pocket battleship.

Thank you to those who participated in this thread.

Gibus

Dick O'Kane
Old 07-19-14, 10:34 AM   #30
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Bonjour,

After extensive research, and thanks to my friend Jean74 also registered on this forum, the reason for the fragility of CA Deutchland (which explodes at the first torpedo) was identified.
This is a big bug in the file NCA_Deutchland.zon about 12 collision spheres.
After correction, 4 torpedoes are now needed to sink the pocket battleship.

Thank you to those who participated in this thread.

Gibus
please post the fix or upload the fix as a small mod file so others can get their games working better as well