Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-06-06, 04:17 PM   #1
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Unlimited Armor for SB Pro PE?

I see in the mission builder an option to have unlimited ammo, but is there a way to have unlimited armor or a trigger that insantly repairs the player's tank if it takes damage?

Old 08-06-06, 04:21 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No. Unlimited ammo and enemy targets not shooting back is meant to set up gunnery tutorials in the main: like the gunnery range by which you decide your score and the performance rating of your forces. No god-mode available.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-06-06 at 04:23 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 04:51 PM   #3
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Are they gonna implement an M1A2 into this sim or is M1A1 it?
Old 08-07-06, 04:07 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

So far, no military customer has demanded the A2 variant of the Abrams. Same is true for the Challenger II or Merkava IV, if you want to ask for these next.
Old 08-07-06, 05:38 PM   #5
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I wonder why? The A2 viariant is a better machine than the A1, probably the best MBT in the world. I think they should add it in, after all there are 3 versions of the Leo represented.
Old 08-08-06, 04:36 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

It's an old discussion that often is fought with religious mindsets: "Which tanks is the best in the world". I think, such a tank does not exist. Question is which tanks fits best into doctrine and force composition of an army that uses it. For their purposes, the Merkava with it's troop carrying capability and frontal engine design was well enough for the Israeli in the past - but now that they face modern anti-tank missiles by Hezbollah, their praised tanks take heavy losses. In SB1, the Leo2A4 had weaker armour than the M1A1, and died more easily. However, I preferred that tank because it gave the commander better situational awareness, and that was what counted for my way of doing the sim. There are even heavier armoured types of the Leo2 around than the now simulated A5, but these are experimental versions that so far have not caused any customer's demand. while the M1A2 includes IVIS and a separately controllable heat-image monitor for the TC (both missing in the A1, the monitor is attached to the same sensor as operated by the gunner), it still suffers from far higher fuel consumption, lesser maximum speed (but higher acceleration rate), no periscope for the TC, longer reloading times for the ready rack. With that tank, an army would operate tank units differently and field them slightly differently than if they use a Leo2A5, which is easier to maintain, is not as demanding on fuel supply, has better ergonomics both for gunner and the SA of the TC. Which tank is better? I wouldn't give an answer to that question. They are different.

And this comparison even leaves out the LeClerc and the Challenger II and the T-90. There probably is no such thing as the best tank. There is only the tank that is more fitting for a given task or situation than another, maybe. As commander of a large chorps on the offensive (f.e. VII chorps advancing in Kuwait 1991), I would prefer the Leo to the Abrams, due to the lower fuel concerns. In a static defense in flat, open terrain or a dynmaic defense where units need to quickly hop back and forth between positions close by, I probably would prefrr the Abrams due to it's slightly higher acceleration and the DU rounds reaching farther out. It depends. But probably Abrams, Leo2 and Challenger II all play in the same league.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-08-06 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 04:45 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSerpent
I wonder why? The A2 viariant is a better machine than the A1, probably the best MBT in the world. I think they should add it in, after all there are 3 versions of the Leo represented.
No, only two Leo 2 and one Leo 1 - but in no way you can include them in the same tank family - the Leo 1 has nothing in common and has nothing to do with the Leo2 family. Leo2 is not a later developement or evolution phase of the Leo 1, but was a totally new design from scratch. the Leo 2 shares more similiarities with the Abrams than with the Leo1. Both vehicles also represent very different design philosophies. The Leo1 in principle is a heavy tank turret mounted on a medium tank-hull (both rates heavy and medium according to their timeframe). It was to beat the enemy by outmaneuvering missiles that were relatively new at it's time. The T-72 which was to counter the M60 and the Leo1, was a very well designed machine for that job of neutralizing these two new Western tanks. The later Leo2, however, is one of the remnants of the attempted US-German joint venture for a new tank, a project that later was given up. It is truly a heavy turret on a heavy hull, and now armour played a much more important role instead of agility (it still outperforms a Leo1 in that regard which is very amazing considerng the differences and the higher weight). In fact, the US army was considering to buy the Leo2 for some time, but later that was scrapped in favour of a more patriotic solution of producing a truly American tank - the Abrams. both tanks exchanged some design components, however, most famous the German Rheinmetall 120mm cannon which replaced the Abram's initial 105mm.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-08-06 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 08:58 AM   #8
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

True True. I shouldn't say the M1A2 is the BEST. Well, it is to me anyways ! But it is the latest American built tank that is and has been battle tested in 2 wars now and has been very successful. Granted I don't think the Iraqi tank crews that challenged an M1A2 tank were nearly as well trained or proficient with their tanks as the Americans with theirs.
Old 08-08-06, 11:07 AM   #9
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4

Oh I can answer that.

The best tank is the most durable one, the most survivable. Your big guns and big engines are no good when your tank gets flamed by an RPG and the photos of the burning wreckage gets stamped on every newspaper, the story gets broadcasted on all news channels and the images are displayed night after night untill the support for whatever war drops just enough to pull back.

So, forget about Main Battle Tanks, you want a Massive Brick Titan:

Or something along that line, with more machine-guns to repell clever bastards climbing on the thing to set up a shaped-charge.
Old 08-08-06, 08:35 PM   #10
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TteFAboB
Oh I can answer that.

The best tank is the most durable one, the most survivable. Your big guns and big engines are no good when your tank gets flamed by an RPG and the photos of the burning wreckage gets stamped on every newspaper, the story gets broadcasted on all news channels and the images are displayed night after night untill the support for whatever war drops just enough to pull back.

So, forget about Main Battle Tanks, you want a Massive Brick Titan:

Or something along that line, with more machine-guns to repell clever bastards climbing on the thing to set up a shaped-charge.

What the HELL is THAT????
Old 08-09-06, 03:42 AM   #11
Winston
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5

Thats a WWII german super heavy tank called the 'Mouse'. You could always have a button that ‘electrifies’ the hull for when the buggers get on the roof.

Winston is offline   Reply With Quote