SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-07, 10:24 AM   #31
kv29
Watch Officer

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

what do you think about deleting the "target detroyed" message?
Old 07-07-07, 10:37 AM   #32
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Could just be a bug caused by modding the file. When you changed the values, it probably caused the game to instantly recognize that the hit was a fatal one in this instance and that the vessel would be doomed eventually.
Old 07-07-07, 10:42 AM   #33
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Can you remove that message entirely...??? if so, i'd love to know how..

I expect you would still get the message log button flashing which would be a give away that the ship was finished and the ship would be added to the "Ships sunk" list but that would be acceptable...
Old 07-07-07, 10:58 AM   #34
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Hmm...

I'd think you'd have to completely change the confirmation files on sinkings to get the message to go away.

As for the mod, it's pretty good. However, I don't like how a good portion of the deck can be underwater and the ship can stay afloat for hours if not days.
Old 07-07-07, 12:34 PM   #35
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Oh! I forgot to mention that the mod is great. I just found an annoying problem with the sinkings, however.

I took this screenshot after downloading and installing your mod. The ship stayed like that, with the water over the deck, for 3 days before I got tired of it and decided to finish it. That gets very annoying, as the ship would, in reality, go down in a short time. The water covering so much of the deck and part of the cabin area would cause a rapid sinking.
Old 07-07-07, 12:57 PM   #36
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Excellent work! Thank you for the effort!

Captain Haplo
Old 07-07-07, 01:04 PM   #37
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
Could just be a bug caused by modding the file. When you changed the values, it probably caused the game to instantly recognize that the hit was a fatal one in this instance and that the vessel would be doomed eventually.
Its not a bug it seems to be another feature noone knows about because you have never seen ships sinking from flooding before.

Let me explain. The crews seems to know when to many compartments are flooding and they cannot save the ship. In that case they abandon the ship and you score a kill. However the vessel will keep flooding slowly.

The mod has greatly increased floatability for each compartment. I will try to explain on example:

Lets say in stock SH4 we have a small ship with 4 compartments of equal size. The general floatability of the vessel is 100 and of each compartment 35. When two compartments are flooded the general floatability will be reduced by 70 and the ship stay afloat. Now with this mod the floatability for each compartment is increased to 60 each. When one is hit it will go on but it cannot take two. When two compartments are taking in flooding the crew knows that the floatability will be reduced by 120. So they just leave their ship because they know they cannot save it.

So basicly the crews will not wait until their ship is flooded up to the masts, they will evacuate the ship when they know they cannot retrieve it bacause to many compartments are flooding. In some cases even big ships will be abonded instantly when your torpedo hit exactly between two essential compartments and make the both taking flooding. Sometimes ships will go on with maximum floatability reduced to almost zero for hours. When their damaged compartments are full the water can come over the deck into other compartments making them flooding also and finely kill her.

The kill message can be removed. You will however still score a kill as soon they board their lifeboats.

Last edited by WernerSobe; 07-07-07 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 01:14 PM   #38
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bando
Hello Werner,

I'm no tweaking expert, but my files are tweaked by myself to a great extend, so to merge more mods together without them biting eachother. So I went ahead and downloaded your mod. I use the Die Slowly mod by Redwine and the New effects (not yet released, it's a test version) by Leovampire. I would need to tweak your mod right in. I looked at the torpedo_us.zon file, and to my surprise I've seen you reduced the min/max EF values. I thought they were the explosive power of the torpedo, but than again, I'm by no means an expert in this.
Furthermore in the zones.cfg I see you made the flooding a very long proces, which is good IMO.
Resume, what exactly does the min/max EF value do in relation tt the torpedo. I am assuming T1=MK10, T2=MK14, T3=MK16?, T4=MK18, T5=MK23, T6= MK27

Please advice,

Reg

Bando
Youre are right it is the amount of structural damage the torpedoes inflict to the vessel. Ive reduced the damage because i wanted the ships sink from flooding and not just blow up. Let me explain:

Each ship has a certain amount of structural hitpoints and a certain amount of floatatation. You can kill every ship in two ways. First reduce its structural hitpoints to zero by hiting it with to many torpedoes. That will cause a huge explosion, the ship will blow up and sink very fast because all compartments start flooding. The other method is to reduce its floatatation by hiting different compartments. Flooding compartments slowly reduce the general floatatation and once it is zero the ship will sink regardless of how many hitpoints it has left.

While "Die Slowly" Mod has tweaked all the hitpoints to be more realistic, ive gone another way and increased the amount of floatatation taken away by each compartment when flooded. At same time i needed to reduce the structural damage from torpedoes to avoid ships taking maximum structural damage before they are flooded and their maximum floatability is used.
Old 07-07-07, 01:19 PM   #39
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Tonner
Werner, you are de man

Hope this works with TMaru. One of my tactics when I get the opportunity is to hide under a crippled ship to avoid destroyers, with your mod it looks like I will be able to do this more often
works with TMaru. You just have to install it aftar TMaru because TMaru also make changes to same files. These changes are lost but ive looked at them that are not many and they are not very important.
Old 07-07-07, 01:28 PM   #40
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Oh! I forgot to mention that the mod is great. I just found an annoying problem with the sinkings, however.

I took this screenshot after downloading and installing your mod. The ship stayed like that, with the water over the deck, for 3 days before I got tired of it and decided to finish it. That gets very annoying, as the ship would, in reality, go down in a short time. The water covering so much of the deck and part of the cabin area would cause a rapid sinking.
The mod does take in account water coming over the deck and it can also flood other compartments that are not damaged from the torpedo. But in your case you have hit the ship under first mast (that part contains a huge compartment with a floatability of 65) The water that comes over the deck only covers the bow. The compartment below it is already flooded so it cannot cause more flooding. If the stern part would also drop below the water line the water would come into other big compartment too and reduce the maximum float by another 65 and propably sink it.
Old 07-07-07, 01:45 PM   #41
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Yeah, quick question: does this mod also affect YOUR submarine?
no it doesnt
Old 07-07-07, 01:59 PM   #42
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

I are still happy lad...
Old 07-07-07, 02:13 PM   #43
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Ok, in a few of my tests I have hit tankers with a fuel cargo...

The tanker does not blow up even after several hits, there are only small fires etc as the tanker starts to slowly sink. Once the tanker is completely flooded, and underwater, with maybe just the stern or bow showing but going down fast, the massive series of splinter explosions occurs, sometimes many of them...

Why is this? And can it be fixed so when we hit a fuel cargo we get a big explosion again as the torpedo ignites fuel / ammo...

As it is, we have the explosion after a 3 hour delay and when the ship is under-water - this is unrealistic and I've observed it several times now...

I expect the problem is the cargo fuel / ammo compartments I will take a look and do some testing...
Old 07-07-07, 02:39 PM   #44
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

My tanker I hit almost certainly had fuel as cargo (since I added it, lol), but I saw the same thing, jace, no fire.
Old 07-07-07, 02:52 PM   #45
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default Jace11

And Tater

That is all fixed and set up in Die Slowly 16 for the tankers and fuel bunkers and engine rooms with the effects. Plus the zone's file has now been properly set up for the Fuel and Oil cargo's which it never was from the get go.
Closed Thread