SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-07, 10:32 AM   #781
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

All of them I think. I noticed it in my VIIb, my VIIc on the IXb, I also found it happened on the IID as well, so I think accross the board.

If you hit ahead slow on the surface, it creeps. you could like, swim faster!

Wheras prior to the patch, when you hit ahead slow they'd go their normal speed, but it seems hitting ahead slow, surfaced or submerged tells the boat you only want to do 2 knots. Which if I am not getting depthcharged, I don't. I am playing on a VIIb currently and beofre the patch it did 7 knots surfaced at head slow.

Now it does 3 or 4 knots at ahead slow. Submerged it only does 2 knots rather than 3 at head slow. I just don't like that feature of the patch, because it aint rocket science to select 2 knots on the knotmeter.

Really though its the torpedoing that is the only thing of stock game I miss, seems ships in GWX are a bit too hard to sink, because Merchant ships if I recall were just floating buckets that were welded together, 2 torpedoes would be enough realisitically to sink just about any merchant ship.

But well, I think that covers it.
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 12:54 PM   #782
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Submerged ahead slow is a feature that will give you Silent running
3kts is NOT silent running

Sooooooooo mant ppl complained at release that hitting z for silent running still got you detected
The RPM of the engine too high at that speed so yes you were detected
So now ahead slow will lower the speed to 2kts straight away when going to silent running without the player having to manually change
Many were forgetting in the moment of being attacked

As you say its not rocket science to change the speed yourself while on the surface

I thought you meant something else in original post

That feature was added in the Dec 23rd patch
Something you obviously didnt have
Was included in 1.02 as were all the fixes in the Dec 23rd patch

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:13 PM   #783
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

yah. Got ya!

Those people shoulda read the manual then. Becuase there is a section there about escaping Destroyer attacks and it says quite clearly to set your speed to two knots.

What I meant, I liked the old setup better, is all, it felt convenient. And besides, when you get enough distance between you and the destroyer hunting you, you can accelerate back to 3 knots anyway.

It was just a bit strange for me, when I selected ahead slow in a type VII and found I was only doing 3 or 4 knots on the surface, I mean... I wanted ahead slow but thats ridiculous! LOL

Last edited by Penelope_Grey; 02-25-07 at 01:15 PM. Reason: removing a few mistakes.
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:23 PM   #784
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
yah. Got ya!

Those people shoulda read the manual then. Becuase there is a section there about escaping Destroyer attacks and it says quite clearly to set your speed to two knots.

What I meant, I liked the old setup better, is all, it felt convenient. And besides, when you get enough distance between you and the destroyer hunting you, you can accelerate back to 3 knots anyway.

It was just a bit strange for me, when I selected ahead slow in a type VII and found I was only doing 3 or 4 knots on the surface, I mean... I wanted ahead slow but thats ridiculous! LOL
V True
Buts so easy after playing various versions before to hit Z and EXPECT to be silent as you used to be
So it was implemented that way

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 11:48 PM   #785
Sgian Dubh
Officer

Sorry I am so late to this party.

I had to leave off of SHIII for some time, but haveing checked in and discovered GWX's release I am ramping back up.

Of course, I would already have had it installed, but I left-clicked on the links and when the download was finished I got a dialog box asking me what program to use to open the bin file. And then I lost each bin file in turn.

So now I am re-downloading each of them having right-clicked and selected "Save as".

I also noticed some large .oggs files. Are these critical to have for GWX?

Sorry for what may seem simple questions, but I am trying to ramp back up as fast as possible.

Thanks
and in the darkness sink them.\"

with apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
Sgian Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 06:03 AM   #786
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

To install GWX you need to have all 5 bin files and the executable in one (the same) directory. Then just run the GWX.exe and the installer sorts things out for you. Make sure you read the instructions as well, as they answer almost every question people have. Good Luck
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 06:16 AM   #787
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgian Dubh
Of course, I would already have had it installed, but I left-clicked on the links and when the download was finished I got a dialog box asking me what program to use to open the bin file. And then I lost each bin file in turn.
STOP - the files have been d/l'd into your temp directory, as long as you have not run a PC Cleaner then a simple windows search will find these for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgian Dubh
I also noticed some large .oggs files. Are these critical to have for GWX?
The largest .ogg files are probably the grammophone audio files. These grammophone files are not critical to GWX.

I'm not sure how you accessed these files without installing GWX as all the installation files are in .bin format.(image loader?)

Anywho, don't remove them until the installation is complete.
Old 02-26-07, 06:54 AM   #788
NiKuTa
Ensign

Downloads: 138

Now when i playing a little in GWX 102, i think that new physics model i weak :/. First of all engine of game cant hold this new physics model.
Secendly now it very strange to swim.
One of my screens.

My speed is 2 knots. I want to go down about 140 m but my boat go only to 91 end no more. Only 91 at 2 knots. But when i stoped my boat he go down to 110-120 m and no more. For me it is very strange phisics model. There is something wrong. At 2 knots my boat it shallow them when i stop. Its unrealistic :/

In game you dont have any order for CA to trim a boat on some deep. You have only a order for CA to go down at some deep. So if you stop or speed up the CA should trim a boat. I want to be at 120 m. so CA should trim a boat at this deep for speed which i want.
NiKuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 06:59 AM   #789
NiKuTa
Ensign

Downloads: 138

AAAAAAA I'm in U-Boat VIIB
NiKuTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 07:34 AM   #790
KrvKpt. Falke
Planesman

Downloads: 40

NiKuTa: this "feature" you described is also in Dec23rd patch. I played 2 carieers with that patch (23rd) and im 100% sure my sub behave just like you said: it didnt want to go too deep when speed was set to 2 or 3 knots.
KrvKpt. Falke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 09:12 AM   #791
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKuTa
Now when i playing a little in GWX 102, i think that new physics model i weak :/. First of all engine of game cant hold this new physics model.
Secendly now it very strange to swim.
One of my screens.

My speed is 2 knots. I want to go down about 140 m but my boat go only to 91 end no more. Only 91 at 2 knots. But when i stoped my boat he go down to 110-120 m and no more. For me it is very strange phisics model. There is something wrong. At 2 knots my boat it shallow them when i stop. Its unrealistic :/

In game you dont have any order for CA to trim a boat on some deep. You have only a order for CA to go down at some deep. So if you stop or speed up the CA should trim a boat. I want to be at 120 m. so CA should trim a boat at this deep for speed which i want.
For now you can go with the Neutral Buoyance for GWX mod (from Kaptain Lehmann) what fix this behaviour.

I'm working on new settings that also maintain 80% of that shaking movement when in surface, have a slight positive buoyance but not more a dumb NO.

This fix will arrive together with the fix for sinking ships/below water line.

Rubini.
Old 02-26-07, 10:35 AM   #792
Von Walrus
Nub

Default Mmmm nice

After fixing my crash/reboot problem, which was an SH3 / onboard soundcard conflict and nothing to do with GWX, I've completed my academy training and started my first patrol last night.

Imagine how far my jaw dropped when, after playing vanilla SH3, I emerge from my moorings at Kiel only to find a living, breathing, fully-realised and noisy port going about it's business all around me! The icing on the cake being the Graf Zeppelin looming like a grey mountain through the cranes.

Unlike vanilla SH3, I'm going to ditch the auto TDC and use a combo of manual ID, speed calculating and final rangefinding before making my weapons officer earn his crust by doing all the AOB maths. (It worked pretty well in the academy, although I put one or two fish just past the stern 'cos I looked stupidly at the WO's solution on the map before firing.)

Stopped doing that now - he's the expert and I trust him with my renown
Von Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 10:44 AM   #793
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Glad you're up and running.

But you've only just scratched the surface.:rotfl:
Old 02-26-07, 11:34 AM   #794
Sgian Dubh
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
For now you can go with the Neutral Buoyance for GWX mod (from Kaptain Lehmann) what fix this behaviour.

I'm working on new settings that also maintain 80% of that shaking movement when in surface, have a slight positive buoyance but not more a dumb NO.

This fix will arrive together with the fix for sinking ships/below water line.

Rubini.
Where can oen find this mod?

Old 02-26-07, 11:37 AM   #795
Sgian Dubh
Officer

Thanks for the help above in answer to my posts.

Unfortunately, I had already re-downloaded the files prior to returning to this forum.

The important thing is that I have GWX up and running!