SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-13, 02:44 PM   #1
Captain Ken
Swabbie

Downloads: 498
Uploads: 0
Default Newbie Advice needed

I have been playing SH4 for a few months but never realized there were modifications, etc. available.

I'm not very computer savvy, but would like to try out some of the mods. I have patch 1.4 installed, but not sure how to go about installing some of the mods on this site.

I've seen some folks refer to V1.5. Is this a modification that changes the stock game into a different game, or does one choose to play the stock or V1.5 game?

I see many modification downloads that give different dials, or different maps, or different torpedo info. How does one know how to install these and what directories the extracted files go into?

Is there some kind of "SH4 for Dummies" handbook available?

Thanks for any advice...
Captain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 03:45 PM   #2
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ken View Post
I have been playing SH4 for a few months but never realized there were modifications, etc. available.

I'm not very computer savvy, but would like to try out some of the mods. I have patch 1.4 installed, but not sure how to go about installing some of the mods on this site.

I've seen some folks refer to V1.5. Is this a modification that changes the stock game into a different game, or does one choose to play the stock or V1.5 game?

I see many modification downloads that give different dials, or different maps, or different torpedo info. How does one know how to install these and what directories the extracted files go into?

Is there some kind of "SH4 for Dummies" handbook available?
SH4 Master thread
Thanks for any advice...
Welcome captain ken.
I would suggest to buy version 1.5; use the amazon banner in the upper right corner. Buying 1.5 U-boat expansion pack through amazon is no extra cost to you but benefits subsim. We are all volunteers here as a community helping each other out. Buy 1.5 pack since most mods are based on 1.5.

click on my signature below mentioning JSGME (post #3 has common JSGME errors). JSGME is a mod enabler/disabler. Follow the documentation provided in individual links. You will need JSGME for every mod. Please read the JSGME documentation, then individual mod documentation, then try things out. If you are still stuck or missed something, then come back and ask. We will gladly help.

Try the other forums, too, for SH4, ATO mods and fleetboat mods. Fleetboats is where most of the major mods are. RSRD, TMO, RFB, GFO plus sound,radio and interface mods. The downloads section in subsim for sh4 lists major mods, or sound, or radio without having to go through the threads.

Last edited by Mikemike47; 10-23-13 at 04:21 PM.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 09:39 PM   #3
Captain Ken
Swabbie

Downloads: 498

OK, I took your advice and bought the U-Boat Add on pack from Amazon. Unfortunately, when I try to install it, I get the error message that it cannot locate a copy of SH 4 on my computer.

I have SH 4 V 1.4 in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, and I even copied it to a new directory C:\Silent Hunter 4, but the add on program still does not detect it.

Any suggestions?
Captain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 11:23 PM   #4
TheGreatElector
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1218
Uploads: 117
Default Late Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ken View Post
OK, I took your advice and bought the U-Boat Add on pack from Amazon. Unfortunately, when I try to install it, I get the error message that it cannot locate a copy of SH 4 on my computer.

I have SH 4 V 1.4 in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, and I even copied it to a new directory C:\Silent Hunter 4, but the add on program still does not detect it.

Any suggestions?
You must have patch 1.4 installed as a full game, it cannot be a demo. Then after that you install the U-Boat Add on pack.

TheGreatElector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-16, 11:14 PM   #5
silent hunter8529
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 31
Default Make more playable ships for sh4

I wish they would make more sh4 ships, with new ships, and so on.Could be remodeled ships, with more armor,And defensive,for example.I like to play with varied ships of different times

Last edited by silent hunter8529; 12-17-16 at 11:22 PM.
silent hunter8529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 01:42 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

silent hunter8529!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 03:58 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > silent hunter8529
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.40_PublicBeta_E N
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 06:24 PM   #8
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 11

I would also like to recommend rockin robbin as a person to talk to about Sh4 he is the guru of the game so alot of help, I'm stuck with the 1.3 patch until I can get the add on, I couldn't even get 1.4 to run so you got further then I did.
Old 02-12-17, 10:54 PM   #9
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

You will need to unistall SH4, then re-install in a directory different than the (x86) directory. Most of have it in its own folder or one such as "games." Then go ahead and start with adding v1.5, then JSGME, then the mods.

Welcome aboard to a great site.

We:re always happy to share our vast wealth of knowledge whether it's reliable or not.

Now go polish the props.
Old 04-16-17, 01:50 PM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Right. The installer is one of those irritating copyguard things that checks the system registry keys for the location of FH4.exe, then installs it to that folder. If you installed it on an old computer and just copied the folder to a new computer without running the installation, or moved the folder somewhere else after installing so it doesn't match what's in the system registry, it will refuse to continue with the patch. Use the add/remove programs to uninstall, then reinstall from the original disk before patching, it's the only way it will work.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote