SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-07, 01:34 AM   #31
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Good news indeed!

The .exe file alone can't do anything although it is an excutable I think it's very awkward if you can't distribute it - should'nt all resources be equally copyrighted?
but then I'll have to pull the dvd from the shelf...

BTW sorry for digression but maybe you could even find a value to reduce the brightness of green HUD or a value to lower crew voice volume on the bridge...
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 02:21 AM   #32
Sakura551
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Good news indeed!

The .exe file alone can't do anything although it is an excutable I think it's very awkward if you can't distribute it - should'nt all resources be equally copyrighted?
but then I'll have to pull the dvd from the shelf...

BTW sorry for digression but maybe you could even find a value to reduce the brightness of green HUD or a value to lower crew voice volume on the bridge...
I shouldn't say I'm totally convinced about the death screen triggers being located in the .exe file. There is a good chance they are, but they might also be located in one of the .act files. Finding them might take me a day or 6 months. I don't really know. If I get lucky, I will find them sooner rather than later.
Old 12-20-07, 02:37 AM   #33
Canovaro
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8for3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico71
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Nope, guess again!

This could be fun.:hmm:
Hmmmmm....Rumpelstiltskin?
Lord Lucan?
Amelia Earhart?
Elvis?

Sakura, if you can get to it, your my hero
Canovaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 02:46 AM   #34
Sakura551
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canovaro
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, guess again!

Lord Lucan?
Amelia Earhart?
Elvis?

Not 'if', but 'when'. That is how sure I am. I now know how to change the death triggers. I just need to find them.
Old 12-20-07, 03:59 AM   #35
Woof1701
Commodore

Downloads: 9

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and every one else. Would be great to get this damn thing working.

Since AI torpedoes are looking promising and almost everything else that was missing in stock SH3 (like milk cows, harbor traffic etc) has been implemented already , the only thing missing then would be an option like in SH4 to be assigned special missions like long range cargo or passenger transport, recon etc. However, then the game would be perfect and who wants a perfect game
Woof1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 06:50 AM   #36
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Downloads: 30

Quote:
NVDrifter you say.:hmm:

I wonder whatever happened to him.
Indeed

:hmm:
Badger Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 07:59 AM   #37
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk
weeks ago I was playing the SH3 game , dont remember which class of sub , but after a long battle the sub was hit and I was not in a position to stop the flooding of the small radio room, when this radio room become full of water ,as usual I was waiting the suddenly end of the game , but the sub went ahead for a long time after that with this small radio room totally flooded ( of course the crew inside this radiorood were red dead ) but all the rest of the sub was repaired and moving ahead almost normal,may be the reason for this is because flooding of the small radioroom doesnt affect too much the performance of the sub
That's interesting. :hmm: Did the sub eventually die from flooding in that room or was it ok?
The small radioroom was totally flooded but the game does not ended , and the sub was OK ,all ahead full Mr Murdock

Last edited by tonschk; 12-20-07 at 08:23 AM.
tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 08:14 AM   #38
tommyk
Watch Officer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canovaro
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, guess again!

Lord Lucan?
Amelia Earhart?
Elvis?

Not 'if', but 'when'. That is how sure I am. I now know how to change the death triggers. I just need to find them.
Death Triggers? OK, now we know! your are Dr. No!

Old 12-20-07, 03:52 PM   #39
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by von hally
Quote:
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much because I am having problems with this. This is a work in progress. Not even close to being fully working yet.
yea mate but it is one of the most annoying problems with sh3...that instant death!!!
it would be great if the end of game didnt come so ubruptly for us...its probably hard coded but we can dream on!!!:rotfl:
I things I am changing are hard coded.
If your in the .exe that really does open up a stunning amount of possibilities in all areas. Usually all the stuff thats missing or out of balance.

Good luck with that Sakura551

Old 12-20-07, 06:06 PM   #40
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I hate to spoil the party, but I believe this may be overstepping the bounds of both the EULA and the informal goodwill between Ubi, devs and modders here; and if it is - unfortunately this will not be welcome at Subsim. I will leave Neal to make a call on this one.

I don't believe there's such a thing as ".exe mod" or "modding hardcoded features". The only valid term for that is "hack".

Don't misunderstand, I sympathise with the good cause here, but if this turns up illegal - sorry, not on Subsim. We're not very keen on playing Robin Hood here.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 06:22 PM   #41
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
I hate to spoil the party, but I believe this may be overstepping the bounds of both the EULA and the informal goodwill between Ubi, devs and modders here; and if it is - unfortunately this will not be welcome at Subsim. I will leave Neal to make a call on this one.

I don't believe there's such a thing as ".exe mod" or "modding hardcoded features". The only valid term for that is "hack".

Don't misunderstand, I sympathise with the good cause here, but if this turns up illegal - sorry, not on Subsim. We're not very keen on playing Robin Hood here.
Fair enough comment!

EAW an old flight sim had a about 4 versions with a modded .exe 's and tiberium sun has some modded .exe 's as well

Is that really a hack or just triggering-opening whats all ready there but wasnt implemented ?

Not arguing the point here just wondering

:hmm:
Old 12-20-07, 08:28 PM   #42
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

how about everything not permanently destroyed...so if you do pump it out you can use it later
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 09:07 PM   #43
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117
how about everything not permanently destroyed...so if you do pump it out you can use it later
after insane long repairs

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 09:29 PM   #44
Sakura551
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

If I am not mistaken, there was at least one large mod released here with an installer that did in fact 'patch' the SH3.exe file or other hard coded files. If a modded .exe file is not released directly, I don't see how this is a bad thing.
Old 12-20-07, 09:30 PM   #45
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

Quote:

I know Subsim can't afford grey zone dispute so I'll watch what I say but just one thing I couldn't stop saying, isn't tweaking binary files, especially when it's not an individual graphic file, such as some kind of hex editing already "hacking" or "modding hardcoded features", hmmm?

Ok I said it, am finished now, so please don't shoot me
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote