SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-08, 04:12 PM   #76
robbierob2005
Watch Officer

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
So lets say someone go to the store and buy the game, but this person is not willing to leave the dvd on the drive all the time coz he dont want to scratch the dvd and lose it, so he have the dvd but he plays the game using a backup dvd or a non-dvd crack... SUPPOSEBLY!

If you release a *patch* that corrects the flooding death screen, a person like the one above with a crack wont be able to play your mod without putting the original dvd in the drive, am I right?

That just crossed my mind, since you said it's hard-coded on the .exe
Just buy the game then and use the original dvd in the drive if you want to use this feature.
If you're scared to damage your dvd then don't use this mod.
robbierob2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 08:30 PM   #77
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Sakura551 said:
Oh, and by the way... I found the ship collision settings and fixed the ship collision damage model. A single ramming by a destroyer and your U-boat toast now- instantly sunk.
Quote:
Myxale said:
I hope this isn't this final as it sounds!
I mean does every ramming result in a totall sinking of the Boot, or are there chances to survive anyway...i mean the books tell that there were instances where the Boot made it after a ramming!
I agree Myxale, you want to read what happened to U333, what Peter Cremer put that boat through is amazing!! how he survived is also amazing!!
Even back in the first world war, Martin Niemoller was first lieutenant aboard U151, here is a quote from the book Pastor Niemoller "He had come to periscope depth and was taking a first all-round sweep through the lens. As he looked aft, he saw a vast grey wall - the next instant the destroyer rammed. Parts of a propeller were discovered embedded in the U-Boat's deck and from the underwater explosion , it was judged that the destroyer had torn her bottom off as she passed overhead with the result that the boilers exploded and she sank like a stone."
There are certainly a lot of other instances where U-Boats have survived rammings with minimal damage, so it would be good if the damage could be varied, if it's possable.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 02:24 PM   #78
oRGy
Crusty

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
I do understand, don't worry. Just that I've known various game companies get pretty antsy when people moved from data modding to .exe hacks. In a lot of cases there had to be a permission involved. I've known sites getting C&D orders for this.

Either way, I'm certainly not telling you to stop the work if you want to do it. But it's Neal's call on whether to issue it here since - it's his site and his butt on the line when it comes to any possible legal trouble. By all means, if he's fine with it, then so be it.

In practice, there is not much difference between some of the more complex data mods that have been done and this, but sometimes the grey areas can get a little too grey.

Anyway, where's that Neal with his final answer?
just stepping in here:

There is plenty of prior practice here:
http://www.angelfire.com/games6/timeslip/morrow.html

I would stop short of distributing the .exe by itself, but an auto-patcher is fine.

oRGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-16, 08:30 AM   #79
Cpt. Daniel
Swabbie

Downloads: 37

Hey Guys!

Was this mod ever released? I would pay for it
Cpt. Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-16, 10:53 AM   #80
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

my other experiment is you go into the sub readme and where is the option of destroyed compartment to yes i change to no.....i will let you know if it works bettter this way
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote