SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-14, 12:24 AM   #1
hocking
Sparky

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 0
Default Correct Install order from scratch for NYGM

Been away for awhile but decided to return to SH3 and try NYGM for the first time (always used GWX 3.0 Gold before). I have spent hours reading up on all the new mods and utilities that have come out in recent years. Here is my simple question: What order should I install things to get a base NYGM installation?

I already created a folder for NYGM using MultiSH3 and this folder currently holds a completely unmolested installation of SH3 1.4b with JGSME installed in this folder ready for use. I know at some point I have to install the 4GB patch, Hsie V16B1 hardcode fixes, Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised hardcode patch, SH3 Commander (w/ NYGM fixes), and NYGM using JSGME. I assume after I have all that installed I will be free to add other mods compatible with NYGM that I want to try with the first addition being something that will give me widescreen capability.

My hunch is that I should install the two hardcode fixes first, then the 4GB patch, then SH3 Commander, and finally the NYGM files through JGSME. I would then apply the NYGM SH3 Commander fixes, and start adding other mods of my choice starting with a widescreen capability mod. Just want to make sure I am on the right path. This is very daunting with so much being available.

Any suggestions to help with this process would be greatly appreciated.
hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 07:12 AM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocking View Post
My hunch is that I should install the two hardcode fixes first, then the 4GB patch, then SH3 Commander, and finally the NYGM files through JGSME. I would then apply the NYGM SH3 Commander fixes, and start adding other mods of my choice starting with a widescreen capability mod.
That should work just fine. It actually doesn't matter that specifically, because those are basically mutually exclusive components. The hardcode fixes and 4GB patch are modifying the .exe file independently, NYGM doesn't do anything with the .exe file, and Commander is completely external to SH3. As long as all the parts end up where they should be, the install will be fine - though your order is probably the most logical.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 08:10 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
That should work just fine. It actually doesn't matter that specifically, because those are basically mutually exclusive components. The hardcode fixes and 4GB patch are modifying the .exe file independently, NYGM doesn't do anything with the .exe file, and Commander is completely external to SH3. As long as all the parts end up where they should be, the install will be fine - though your order is probably the most logical.
CCIP, I respectfully disagree. Based on my experience with the software asd a careful reading of the documentation, I would suggest the following:

1) It doesn't matter when you install SH3 Commander. It's a stand-alone program. Just put it in its own folder on the root directory. Don't try to use JSGME!

2) The 4GB patch and H.sie's 4GB fix do exactly the same thing. There is no need to use both. You won't get 8GB. And you may get problems.

3) First, install the mega-mod and its updates. Follow the instructions and install NYGM, NYGM3 New, and NYGM3.6D. Don't add any of the additional mods that come packaged with NYGM unless and until you know what they do and are ready to use them. (For instance don't install the Mediterranean Campaign until you are going to start a career there.)

4) Now add whatever other mods you want.

5) After all the mods you are going to use are installed, now set up the h.sie and Steibler supplements. (Not before this point!) Once the supplemental folders are set up properly, install them. Carefully follow the excellent instructions provided by h.sie and Stiebler. These are not "drop-in" mods, and they require a bit of care.

So: NYGM and updates. Any NYGM add-ons. Any and all other mods. Set up H.sie and Stiebler. Activate h.sie, then Stiebler. Install Commander whenever.

From my experience, that's the best way to do it.

hocking, if you want to try a high-rez widescreen mod, you might look at Van1920x1080. It uses NYGM and Hitman's GUI, a great combination IMO. You can find it here. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213527

Last edited by BigWalleye; 07-24-14 at 10:33 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:05 AM   #4
hocking
Sparky

Ahh, this is definitely different from what I was originally thinking. So, I will install the Hsie V16B1 and Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised patches last.

Why we are on the topic, I have another question about the Hsie and Stiebler hardcode fixes. I assure you that I have read the documentation for both fixes very closely.

In following the instructions, I first apply the Hsie patch by copying and pasting the original SH3.exe file into the Hsie "Patch Kit" folder and run the "Patch_SH3.bat" file. I then take the patched "SH3.exe" file and place it into the "Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised" Patch Kit and run the "Patch_SH3.bat" file to apply Stiebler's fixes. When this is complete I I run the Option Selector and apply the fixes from both Hsie's and Stiebler's available options. When this is done I move the "SH3.exe" file into the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" folder. I then make all the changes to the files provided in the "Stiebler4B_Additional_files_V16B1" file as instructed. After this is done, I move the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" folder into the SH3 MODS folder and install using JSGME.

What is totally missed in this process, and never talked about in the Stiebler instructions, is what to do with the original "Supplemental to V16B1 (JSGME)" file that was included with the Hsie Patch Kit. I assume I am still supposed to install that file using JSGME as the last thing I install based on the instructions provided by Hsie. However, I notice that the files "EnvSim.act" and SH3Sim.act" are included in both the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1", which has already been installed using JSGME, and the "Supplemental to V16B1 (JSGME)" file provided by Hsie that is supposed to be installed last. I know the EnvSim.act is mentioned by Stiebler, so assuming I want his weather fix over Hsie, I should delete Hsie's EnvSim.act file before installing his other files using JSGME. I have no idea which SH3Sim.act file I should use, Hsie's or Steibler's. I am not even sure if I am supposed to still install Hsie's "Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)" file last or not as it kind of gets lost from Steibler's documentation along the way.

Finally, there is absolutely no mention about what to do with the "tool" folder that comes with the Hsie original Patch Kit. Do I just leave it alone?

Thanks for any help with this, and thanks for the help you have already given me. I have tried to be as specific and clear as I can be in writing this post.
Old 07-24-14, 10:39 AM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Ahh, this is definitely different from what I was originally thinking. So, I will install the Hsie V16B1 and Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised patches last.

Why we are on the topic, I have another question about the Hsie and Stiebler hardcode fixes. I assure you that I have read the documentation for both fixes very closely.

In following the instructions, I first apply the Hsie patch by copying and pasting the original SH3.exe file into the Hsie "Patch Kit" folder and run the "Patch_SH3.bat" file. I then take the patched "SH3.exe" file and place it into the "Stiebler4B_V16B1_Revised" Patch Kit and run the "Patch_SH3.bat" file to apply Stiebler's fixes. When this is complete I I run the Option Selector and apply the fixes from both Hsie's and Stiebler's available options. When this is done I move the "SH3.exe" file into the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" folder. I then make all the changes to the files provided in the "Stiebler4B_Additional_files_V16B1" file as instructed. After this is done, I move the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" folder into the SH3 MODS folder and install using JSGME.

What is totally missed in this process, and never talked about in the Stiebler instructions, is what to do with the original "Supplemental to V16B1 (JSGME)" file that was included with the Hsie Patch Kit. I assume I am still supposed to install that file using JSGME as the last thing I install based on the instructions provided by Hsie. However, I notice that the files "EnvSim.act" and SH3Sim.act" are included in both the "Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1", which has already been installed using JSGME, and the "Supplemental to V16B1 (JSGME)" file provided by Hsie that is supposed to be installed last. I know the EnvSim.act is mentioned by Stiebler, so assuming I want his weather fix over Hsie, I should delete Hsie's EnvSim.act file before installing his other files using JSGME. I have no idea which SH3Sim.act file I should use, Hsie's or Steibler's. I am not even sure if I am supposed to still install Hsie's "Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)" file last or not as it kind of gets lost from Steibler's documentation along the way.

Finally, there is absolutely no mention about what to do with the "tool" folder that comes with the Hsie original Patch Kit. Do I just leave it alone?

Thanks for any help with this, and thanks for the help you have already given me. I have tried to be as specific and clear as I can be in writing this post.
hocking, you are very clear and specific. Made it easy to respond. Thank you.

You must activate both h.sie's and Stiebler's Supplemental Folders. If you look inside, you will see that they contain different specific files which the fixes need. Any overwrites are intentional and necessary. You might be able to remove the overwritten files, but it's easier to leave them alone. As you can tell from the documentation, h.sie and Stiebler worked closely on these and my experience is that the patchers play together without problems.

Hang onto the tool folder. It contains essential elements of the Patching Environment folder. Just keep both folders out of the JSGME Mod folder. They are both useless there. Of course, if you keep the original compressed file you downloaded, then you can always recreate whatever you need.

As I posted in my edited note, if your rig can handle 1920x1080, you might look at Van1920x1080. It uses NYGM and Hitman's GUI, a great combination IMO. You can find it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=213527. It was released in May.

Anything I missed? If so. please post. I prefer the NYGM supermod, and think the two patchers add a lot to the game. Hope you can get it all working the way you like without to much fuss. Good luck!
Old 07-24-14, 11:04 AM   #6
hocking
Sparky

Thanks for your help. Just a few questions about your post:

1) Based on the instructions from Steibler, using JSGME I would install Steibler's "Steibler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" folder before installing Hsie's "Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)" as Hsie's folder is supposed to be installed last. If I do this, JSGME would replace Steibler's "EnvSim.act" and "SH3Sim.act" fiiles with Hsie's files since those two files appear in both of the these folders. That is where I am mainly confused. All the other files in the above two folders are unique so I understand there would be no other conflicts, but if I want to use Steibler's "EnvSim.act" file, for example, I would have to remove that file from Hsie's "Supplement to ...." file before installing it with JSGME. Does this make sense? This isn't really discussed in Steibler's instructions at all.

2) When referring to the "tools" folder you say "Just keep both folders our of the JSGME mod folder". Which folders are you referring to? The only folders I put into the JSGME MODS folder are the "Steibler4B_Addon_for_V16B1" and "Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)" folders, and I install the "Steibler4B..." file first followed by the "Supplement to ..." file using JSGME. I add no other files to the MODS folder at this time.

Thank you very much for the Widescreen mod advice. I will definitely try it out. My final question is in relation to modding SH3. Based on your suggestion, I will install the NYGM mod first before installing these above fixes. With that said, do you have any other mod suggestions that is compatible with NYGM that I should try as well, and what install order I should install these mods to include the Van1920x1080 mod? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Believe it or not, I used to be an avid GWX user and loved the realism the game offered. I have just been away for awhile and trying to get caught back up to speed. I probably haven't played SH3 since 2009 as the last time I got into the SH series I was playing SH4. I would like to get as much realism, and immersion/eye candy, out of SH3 as possible. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-14, 11:17 AM   #7
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Uploads: 4

@Hocking,

BigWallEye's explanation is all correct. Sorry I did not make things clear enough in my explanation of how my hard-code patch fitted over H.sie's patch.

You *must* install all parts of the Stiebler hard-code fix (including all folders) *after* installing all parts (including folders) of the H.sie hard code patch, otherwise you may get CTDs (Crash-to-desktop).

You will discover that most of the changes to files required are already made for you in the NYGM 3.6D final overlay of the NYGM mod.

I cannot comment on the Vanjast wide-screen fix, since I lack a suitable screen resolution.

SH3Commander: NYGM has its own supplementary files for this. Download them after clicking on my logo below.

You won't find much eye-candy for NYGM. That is not its purpose. Realism (i.e. accurate play) is NYGM's purpose.

Good luck!
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 03:52 PM   #8
hocking
Sparky

Thank you very much for the feedback. Your directions are fine. I was just a bit confused. I understand what to do now.

In regards to Vanjast's widescreen fix, it does appear he alters some files that are altered by these hardcode fixes. I know BigWalleye must be using both the hardcode fixes with the widescreen fix. Are you having any troubles with the widescreen fix interfering with the hardcode fixes? I know I just made several manual changes to the "menu_1024_768.ini" file based on the Stiebler4B V16B1 patch and the widescreen fix appears to be setup to install a new "menu_1024_768.ini" file within its JSGME file structure. It seems like I would immediately lose the changes I made as soon as I install the widescreen fix. Any comments on this would be helpful.

The only other mod I am thinking about trying out with NYGM is the M.E.P. v4.3 Environmental Mod. Will this cause problems with the hardcode fixes?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-24-14, 04:14 PM   #9
CCIP
Navy Seal

Uploads: 2

I stand respectfully corrected then

Thanks for the feedback, I'm a little rusty on the install order myself - perhaps time to try it out myself on my other PC

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 04:18 PM   #10
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783

Quote:
In regards to Vanjast's widescreen fix, it does appear he alters some files that are altered by these hardcode fixes. I know BigWalleye must be using both the hardcode fixes with the widescreen fix. Are you having any troubles with the widescreen fix interfering with the hardcode fixes?
That widescreen mod that I made only touches the games GUI (user interface), in places where the D3D.dll file doesn't.
Stiebler's hardcode stuff injects data into the code (SH3.exe and other files) - a separate issue altogether and not related the screen resolution.

The most common bugs appear in the changing of the menu_1024_768.ini file across mods.

Here's my mod soup..

The pink stuff is the core NYGM + Hitmans mods ==>> This is necessary for the NYGM widescreen mod from yours truly.
Stieblers mod is a 'necessity' that be added any time after the pink stuff.
There's a whole lot of other stuff added, including mods that I 'modded' = 'MyModname'... blah blah blah
As you can see the NYGM widescreen mod (Van1920x1080) appears much later, as it doesn't change that many files.
Beyond this I have the RealNav mod and AOB wheel mods - all undergoing refinement while I sail.

No problems with this lot, except one Game Shutdown (not CTD). This hasn't happened for a while now... so cannot pinpoint it.

Last edited by vanjast; 07-24-14 at 04:38 PM.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 04:48 PM   #11
hocking
Sparky

Thank you for listing your mod list. That is very helpful. However, I guess that is where I also become confused.

Q1) I know now that with installing the Hsie's V16B1 fix you first apply the patch and then install the "Supplement to V16B1" file back into the SH3 folder using JGSME. You then go through the Stiebler4B fix and apply the "Stiebler4B_Addonn_for_V16B1" which you have clearly done because this file is shown in your mod list as the 9th mod installed. However, what happened to the "Supplement to V16B1" mod install from the original Hsie's fix? It does not appear.

Q2) During the installation process of Stiebler's V16B1 fix, I made several manual changes to the "menu_1024_768.ini" file. If I were to now install your widescreen mod which has a new "menu_1024_768.ini" file within it JSGME file structure wouldn't that replace the file that I made all the manual changes to? This would cause me to lose some of the functionality of the Stiebler V16B1 fixes wouldn't it?

Here is a list of mods that I would like to get installed correctly (somewhat in the order I would think they should go):

NYGM
M.E.P. V4 for NYGM
Hitman's GUI for NYGM
3D Interiors for NYGM (if available)
Van1920x1080 widescreen fix
and then HSie's and Stiebler's hardcode fixes

Everything must be compatible with NYGM of course. Is this possible? Anything I am missing? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-14, 08:32 PM   #12
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Thank you for listing your mod list. That is very helpful. However, I guess that is where I also become confused.

Q1) I know now that with installing the Hsie's V16B1 fix you first apply the patch and then install the "Supplement to V16B1" file back into the SH3 folder using JGSME. You then go through the Stiebler4B fix and apply the "Stiebler4B_Addonn_for_V16B1" which you have clearly done because this file is shown in your mod list as the 9th mod installed. However, what happened to the "Supplement to V16B1" mod install from the original Hsie's fix? It does not appear.

Q2) During the installation process of Stiebler's V16B1 fix, I made several manual changes to the "menu_1024_768.ini" file. If I were to now install your widescreen mod which has a new "menu_1024_768.ini" file within it JSGME file structure wouldn't that replace the file that I made all the manual changes to? This would cause me to lose some of the functionality of the Stiebler V16B1 fixes wouldn't it?

Here is a list of mods that I would like to get installed correctly (somewhat in the order I would think they should go):

NYGM
M.E.P. V4 for NYGM
Hitman's GUI for NYGM
3D Interiors for NYGM (if available)
Van1920x1080 widescreen fix
and then HSie's and Stiebler's hardcode fixes

Everything must be compatible with NYGM of course. Is this possible? Anything I am missing? Thanks for your help.
hocking, I have no answer to Q1. I always install both Supplement to V16B1 and Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1 - in that order. Maybe I don't need to, but I do it and AFAIK, everything works exactly as it should.

As to Q2), please refer to my previous post: "NYGM and updates. Any NYGM add-ons. Any and all other mods. Set up H.sie and Stiebler. Activate h.sie, then Stiebler."

Activate all other mods first, then modify the appropriate files for h.sie's and Stiebler's patches, then set up the two supplemental folders, then activate h.sie's supplemental, and finally, activate Stiebler's supplemental. Any changes will be carried forward properly.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old 07-24-14, 10:16 PM   #13
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
The only other mod I am thinking about trying out with NYGM is the M.E.P. v4.3 Environmental Mod. Will this cause problems with the hardcode fixes?
Haven't found any problems since M.E.P v4.3 came out...
Old 07-25-14, 01:35 AM   #14
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

@Hocking:
Quote:
Your last sentence is correct.
You must make the same changes to Vanjast's menu_1024_768.ini file that were necessary for the V16B1 fix. It is possible that the numbering system in the file will be different too.

Of course, Vanjast probably started his mod with NYGM's 3.6D menu_1024_768.ini file as the base, in which case most, or all, of the necessary changes should be in place already. I'm afraid you will have to check that.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 02:21 AM   #15
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
Of course, Vanjast probably started his mod with NYGM's 3.6D menu_1024_768.ini file as the base, in which case most, or all, of the necessary changes should be in place already.
Yes.. that's right - Sorry I forgot to mention this - The NYGM + Hitmans menu file.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote