SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-09, 02:39 PM   #16
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Nori00.tga is an empty file for clear skyes. If you put some mild clouds there the sky looks much better, as you only rarely see it completely blank. In NYGM this is a must, because the modifications that Stiebler introduced in the campaign layer to further fix the weather bug (persistent bad weather) tend to have it stick oppositely at clear skies. Now they will no longer look that "artificial"
I never played NYGM so I was always use to seeing the the Nori00 blank
untill about 25/10/ when i was working on my version water 5.7 then I decided the easiest way to put clouds in the sky would be to edit the Nori00 TGA.

Edit... Looking back through my versions i see V5.5 was the first version to use the edited Nori00 TGA
Old 12-10-09, 03:22 PM   #17
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolf U-57 View Post
I never played NYGM so I was always use to seeing the the Nori00 blank
untill about 25/10/ when i was working on my version water 5.7 then I decided the easiest way to put clouds in the sky would be to edit the Nori00 TGA.

Edit... Looking back through my versions i see V5.5 was the first version to use the edited Nori00 TGA
the image that is responsible for the clouds on the clear sky is the senin.tga ( not the nori00.tga)

but Seawolf what exactly are you saying (or...try to say ) here ????

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
Old 12-10-09, 03:24 PM   #18
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

Its a good way of doing it
Old 12-10-09, 03:46 PM   #19
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
he image that is responsible for the clouds on the clear sky is the senin.tga ( not the nori00.tga)

Ah yes, sorry, was confused by the question about Nori00 and the response about being used to see it blank ...
Old 12-10-09, 05:35 PM   #20
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

If there is an issue lads, why not deal with it via PM, thanks

Back in the Day

Old 12-11-09, 07:21 AM   #21
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
In NYGM the older coal powered merchants have a darker, denser smoke, and doing an end-around overhauling a convoy or enemy ship seeing only the smoke column on the horizon, as it was done in real life is .... priceless!

The 20km environment with hull-down effect is as realistic as it gets in SH3, and allows using real life tactics that were until now much more difficult
@Hitman
So the NYGM version will be better ? Is that correct ? Also, what do you mean by the "hull-down effect" ?

And finally, could i ask what your mod list is Hitman ? We share a similar passion for realism methinks

Cheers, UG

Old 12-11-09, 10:36 AM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
So the NYGM version will be better ? Is that correct ?
Sorry I did not explain it well. Graphically it will be exactly the same, but it will come with a sensors file adapted to NYGM. If you enable the mod as it is right now over NYGM, the superb work done in NYGM with the sensors will be messed up. But you can test it already as for the graphical aspect if you want, just beware that the Ai detection will not be 100% accurate

Quote:
Also, what do you mean by the "hull-down effect" ?
When ships are distant, beyond the horizon (Which is at about 8000 metres when viewed from an uboat's bridge) they appear to have the hull below the water, an effect caused by the curvature of the earth. The more distant they are, the less you see from them, until only the higher parts can be seen, sometimes only the smoke column above the ship. With 20km environment, this effect can be made noticeable enough and allow you to overtake the target seeing only tips of the masts.

Other environment mod, mainly OLCE and those based directly upon it do not have that effect in benefit of a sharper horizon, correctly rendered waves and no "masts floating in the fog" effect due to limitations in the way the SH3 engine renders this effect. OLCE ships since some time ago with an improved version that makes it noticeable when a ship is before or beyond the horizon (Which helps you estimate the distance to it, as in real life), but a ship at maximum distance is not completely "hull down", i.e. the way it "sinks" in the horizon is not proportionally correct.

Quote:
And finally, could i ask what your mod list is Hitman ? We share a similar passion for realism methinks
Right now I use NYGM and GWX with my optics mod (A new version of my optics is in progress) and the Manos 16km environment, but I will of course switch to the 20k one for NYGM as soon as it becomes available. I also enable IABL's merchant ships, My compass mod, lite harbour traffic and Open hatch.
Old 12-11-09, 10:36 AM   #23
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

@Makman

Well done! Bravo! Thats wonderful.
I'm waiting the release for the NYGM supermod too. At last, i will be able to play this great supermod with a nice -20km - environment.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
Old 12-11-09, 12:06 PM   #24
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@Hitman

Thanks for the well written reply - most helpfull. I'm looking forward to getting my new install up and running to try this out. Oh and definately looking forward to your optics mod

Old 12-11-09, 02:55 PM   #25
makman94
Hellas

some words about the horizon
----------------------------
the horizon in M.E.P v3 is not mathimatically correct . a ship ,with a 25m mast,must start 'vanishing' its hull at about 8-8.5 km (this is achieved) BUT must also completely 'vanish' its mast at about 12.5 km away (curveness of earth).this is not achieved becuase the curveness of earth is not modeled in game.it will completely vanish its mast far away than 12.5 km (at about 16km) thats why you can see ,in a 20km environment , the ship to be 'vanished' completely. the horizon line also is not correct placed becuase of some other reasons ,that has to do with the look of ship when it will be far away
everything you see is just 'tricks' in order to have an illusion of horizon.the idea of that 'tricks' belongs to Hitman and Olc ,my first intentions was to make horizon in a different way (becuase i thought that curveness of earth was not so important at these distances -till 20km)but after some discussion i had with Hitman ,i realised that i have 'missed' things and start an investigation on this subject .the numbers i am telling you at the start of this post are the correct ones (caused by the curveness of earth) but i am afraid that it is impossible to be achieved in game (sh3's limitations) , i did the best i could and wish someone ,more talented , to suceed on this

about the sensors at NYGM: NYGM has very well made sensors and at visual sensors ,Observer (the athour of NYGM's sensors) has created DIFFERENT visual sensors data for the merchants,different for the small ships,different for the small boats and different for the warships (all other supermods and stock are using the same data for the AI-sensors) . he had made a wonderfull job , so sensors for NYGM need much more time at tests, thats why are not released yet

Old 12-11-09, 11:07 PM   #26
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Looking forward to the NYGM version. What a great looking mod... Thanks for the hard work.

Old 12-13-09, 05:21 AM   #27
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nice explanation Makman. It's really helpful when modders explain the technicalities of their mods as it allows the community to make informed decisions about what to include in their installs. Reminds me of the great days of RuB and NYGM. And fair play to Observer for putting the hard the work in to making decent sensors.

Hats off to all of you

Old 12-13-09, 07:07 PM   #28
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

A bit OT but I should like to share with you guys this little mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159136

I could not find the commented modified senin.tga on NYGM last version (perhaps I could have not looked deep enough - as i haven´t it really installed) - anyway this is my version of it...i really liked the idea Hitman.

@Makman: thanks by MEPv3, it´s really great and excuse my absence, RL REALLY heavy duties last 2 months.
Old 12-14-09, 12:19 AM   #29
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Rubini,

Already did the DL on your mod. Look forward to trying it out. And Thank you.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 12-14-09, 12:16 PM   #30
makman94
Hellas

@Magic, Tomfon , Uber Gruber , Fubar295 : thank you all for your very kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
A bit OT but I should like to share with you guys this little mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159136

.....I could not find the commented modified senin.tga on NYGM last version (perhaps I could have not looked deep enough - as i haven´t it really installed)
hello Rubini,
you can find the commended senin.tga inside the files of M.E.P v3 (or v2.1 or v2) (look at it through the irfanview programm).
i will take a look at your new image , thank you

Quote:
@Makman: thanks by MEPv3, it´s really great and excuse my absence, RL REALLY heavy duties last 2 months.
glad you like it Rubini ! don't even think that i was bothered for not replied to me ..... i tottaly understand what rl can do....
you are always wellcome (i think you know that allready)

Closed Thread