SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-17, 09:05 PM   #1
ChaosDuck7
Loader

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 0
Default Why is it that noisemakers have a "cooldown"?

Why is it that noisemakers have a "cooldown" period?
is it like that in real life? Why wouldnt they make them like aircraft flares where you can keep pumping them out

I know nothing about how they work in real life, so maybe they DO have to be physically loaded after each one is fired?
ChaosDuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 09:11 PM   #2
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Our understanding is that it has to be reloaded.
Old 09-02-17, 10:11 PM   #3
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
Our understanding is that it has to be reloaded.
This is correct. They are manually reloaded. And since any evolution that moves material (in this case the noisemaker) from the interior of the boat to the exterior has a potential impact on ship safety associated with opening valves to the sea, there is a set procedure used in the loading/discharge. Every step has to be executed, and none are skipped. That means there is a delay between each noisemaker being "fired".

Hope this helps.

LTJG Beam
LTJGBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:16 PM   #4
ChaosDuck7
Loader

Downloads: 107

Oh cool, didnt know that.

Do all the subs of that era use the same method of manually reloading?

Whats the noisemaker called?
ChaosDuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:31 PM   #5
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Apparently one at a time is sufficient for a submarine, as compared to an airplane. I'm sure its been evaluated time and again one does the job.

IF, the Navy thought that wasn't sufficient, they could always just have two dispensers.

I believe in change, but sometimes, things are just the way they are because they work. My inventor's mind gets pissed.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 06:34 AM   #6
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

So in reading through Friedman's "US Submarines since 1945" which was published in 1994 there are a few things of note on page 22. Its not specific when it mentions dates but it mentions the tying in of the 3" signal ejector tube (referred to as CLAMS or countermeasure launcher acoustic module system) being tied in with SAWS (Submarine Acoustic Warfare System) which is basically automatic cueing for the counter measures tied in with the WLR-9 system. One useful feature is it does mention that the 688 features two 3" tubes located abaft the sail (the the Thresher and Sturgeon the 3" tube is the bulb you see on the lower right side ahead of the aft dive planes, on the Skipjack its in the torpedo room on the bottom front of the boat).

From what I can tell, as of 84 it should be ADC Mk 2 decoys that we see in the game, which should be depth programmable but that opens up another can of worms in terms of the GUI ect.

The book goes on to mention a few other things, like ADC Mk 4 decoys, Mobile Multi-function Decoys, special purpose NLQ-1 decoy and SMTD (SubMarine Torpedo Defense) a hard-kill anti-torpedo system. As you may imagine the classified nature of all this stuff means that little to no information out there on the specifics for this stuff (some of which I think has a bit to do with why the torpedo-tube launched MOSS is no longer in service).

Also it would appear that some time after 1994 all active submarines were modified to accommodate the external 6 inch decoy system as fitted to Ohio SSBNs. This would be in addition to the standard 3 inch tubes they already had.

There's also some interesting mentions on MOSS predecessors, BLQ-2 (failed op-eval because it sounded more like a torpedo than anything else) BLQ-9 and Mk 56 MOSS. From what I can tell just like the Mk 70 MOSS itself these seem to be mainly used by SSBNs. 3 inch decoy BLQ-3 and 5 were basically what we see portrayed in the game (although I'm not sure if they had separate decoys for passive / active deception) and BLQ-4 and 6 were intended specifically for high frequency torpedo seekers.

Either way while, yes, I think decoys probably could be portrayed in a more realistic / specific way, you can say the same thing about sonar, fire control or torpedo guidance. I think in most of these cases what we have in the game, as it sit is a fine representation of how this stuff should work, and getting more into it would lead to hair-splitting territory.