SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-16, 03:25 PM   #1
Herr Minger
Soundman

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Firing a torpedo successfully

How do I fire a successful torpedo with manual targeting unticked in the options whilst running WOS. I pressed space to get the target info used my torpedo man to get a solution and fire the torpedo. It didn't work. I'm not ready for the full manual targeting scenario yet.
Old 11-19-16, 05:34 PM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Just point and shoot...That's all. Torpedo solutions will adjust automatically...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-16, 06:19 PM   #3
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Minger View Post
How do I fire a successful torpedo with manual targeting unticked in the options whilst running WOS. I pressed space to get the target info used my torpedo man to get a solution and fire the torpedo. It didn't work. I'm not ready for the full manual targeting scenario yet.
You need to use the OFEV and change the "XO TDC" tab "Manual targeting enforced" value from True to False as per the screenshot. This will allow you to select either Manual or Auto targeting ingame by using the "Turn TDC Off/On" option in the XO dialogue box during an attack. Very handy option while learning manual targeting because you can select Auto targeting then compare your own calculations using the RAOBF etc with the auto targeting data set in the TDC. From the various books on German submarine warfare that I have read, it is usually the XO that uses the UZO to calculate the data to input into the TDC during a surface attack while the Captain uses his eyes/binoculars to maintain situational awareness. Therefore its probably more realistic to use "Auto targeting" during night surface torpedo attacks than inputting the TDC data manually.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-16, 09:31 AM   #4
Herr Minger
Soundman

Thanks Kevinsue. Just one problem, how do I change the value from true to false? Will it affect a current campaign or do I have to start a new one for it to take effect?

EDIT: I have just found out how to change the values, double click on it and a dialogue box appears enabling you to change the value.
Old 11-21-16, 02:36 PM   #5
Herr Minger
Soundman

Right I have done the editing in OFEV as shown but alas it hasn't helped. I lined up on a tanker, switched on TWO by hitting space and the clicking on 1/turn on tmo. After that I brought up the torpedo man with it's menus and selected select target find solution and fire. The torpedo did not track the tanker. In SH3 we could do it this way so is it possible in WOS SH5?
Old 11-21-16, 04:21 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
In SH3 we could do it this way so is it possible in WOS SH5?
Sure it is possible and I told you how but it seem that you're ignoring my post from some reason...
If you have installed all as you should, you should only uncheck appropriate option in game settings, enter the mission, point the periscope and shoot...

Messing up with OFEV is not necessary. Cheers...
Old 11-22-16, 05:17 AM   #7
Herr Minger
Soundman

VDR1981 Are you sure that this is the case even when running the mod WOS and not just in the stock game? I have a feeling that the mod over rides the options.
Old 11-22-16, 06:36 AM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
VDR1981 Are you sure that this is the case even when running the mod WOS and not just in the stock game? I have a feeling that the mod over rides the options.
Of course mate. I also use auto TDC when I wish to test damage models for some units. It works just OK with previously described procedure...
Old 11-23-16, 04:30 PM   #9
Herr Minger
Soundman

Ok thanks vdr1981 I'll have another bash at it tomorrow. I have just discovered the toggle switch for auto or manual so that was probably the problem. Leave off playing this game for a couple of years and it all gets forgotten at least in my case.
Old 11-23-16, 06:02 PM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Ok thanks vdr1981 I'll have another bash at it tomorrow. I have just discovered the toggle switch for auto or manual so that was probably the problem. Leave off playing this game for a couple of years and it all gets forgotten at least in my case.
"Toggle switch" ?
Old 11-30-16, 01:32 PM   #11
Herr Minger
Soundman

vdr81 there is a button in the middle of the dials for the TDC I believe it turns manual targeting on and off. Anyway I give up as no matter what I try and I've been doing the training missions, I just cannot get it right. I get the feeling that with the Wolves of Steel mod installed it is impossible to point and shoot using the weapons officer like you could in SH3 Grey Wolves. With SH3 once you had a lock, the periscope would follow the ship targeted then you simple clicked on the weapons officer and then clicked on the 3 boxes I believe they were acquire target, get solution, and fire also open and close torpedo doors. SH5 WoS needs something similar.

EDIT : Actually SH5 does have the weapons officer do the same thing as it does in SH3 but there is no periscope lock so it doesn't work.
Old 11-30-16, 04:37 PM   #12
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Support

Quote:
vdr81 there is a button in the middle of the dials for the TDC I believe it turns manual targeting on and off. Anyway I give up as no matter what I try and I've been doing the training missions, I just cannot get it right. I get the feeling that with the Wolves of Steel mod installed it is impossible to point and shoot using the weapons officer like you could in SH3 Grey Wolves. With SH3 once you had a lock, the periscope would follow the ship targeted then you simple clicked on the weapons officer and then clicked on the 3 boxes I believe they were acquire target, get solution, and fire also open and close torpedo doors. SH5 WoS needs something similar.

EDIT : Actually SH5 does have the weapons officer do the same thing as it does in SH3 but there is no periscope lock so it doesn't work.
With the "Manual Targeting" box checked in the Main UI, and then the "Manual targeting enforced" selected to "False" using the OFEV, you have the option of selecting either manual OR auto while ingame by selecting the option in the XO's dialogue box "Turn TDC On/Off". With the TDC turned "Off", you select the target using the spacebar. You still have to be in range for a viable shot before the XO dialogue changes to "Target is an unknown ship etc" which indicates that the target is locked and then you use the torpedo fire button to shoot. Make sure you have the tubes already open and flooded. You still have to set the speed, depth and detonator type for each torpedo you intend to fire. If visibility is bad or the waves high enough to to go over the periscope, you will lose the lock so when the target is visual again, relock it with the space bar before firing. You need to be at @3000 meters or less to guarantee a viable firing solution which can be frustrating but just keep tapping the spacebar and eventually the XO will get his solution so you can fire. Don't worry about trying to use the WEP's...or anyone else for that matter because the XO is the only one you use. Also leave the TDC button set to on (Red) while using auto targeting. With any version of TWoS, this method is guaranteed to work 100% and you can choose manual or auto targeting for each torpedo you fire during the same attack by selecting the TDC on or off.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the "red" button in the centre of the TDC dials is only selected to allow manual input of targeting data (speed, range, AOB etc) into the TDC. It must be selected back to ON, "red" before moving the periscope or firing a torpedo otherwise the TDC target settings will be invalid.

Last edited by kevinsue; 12-03-16 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 11:17 AM   #13
bart
Frogman

Downloads: 245

Thanks Kevinsue for this. I for one didn't realise we could have the best of both worlds. Up until now I have kept 2 saves, one with manual TDC and one with Auto option. This could be a game changer, for me anyhow.

I will give this a try tonight. Cheers for the heads up mate
Old 12-01-16, 11:59 AM   #14
Herr Minger
Soundman

Thankyou Kevinsue, I'll give it a go tonight and see. Sorry what do you mean by the main user interface (UI),? do you mean the options in the main menu where I can select manual targeting? If so can I change that value mid campaign?

Last edited by Herr Minger; 12-01-16 at 12:08 PM.
Herr Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-16, 06:07 PM   #15
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Support

Quote:
Thankyou Kevinsue, I'll give it a go tonight and see. Sorry what do you mean by the main user interface (UI),? do you mean the options in the main menu where I can select manual targeting? If so can I change that value mid campaign?
Yep...Game Options - Gameplay Settings. Unfortunately "Gameplay Settings" cannot be changed after a campaign is started because it will default back to the settings selected while in the bunker.
However you can get around this by editing the GameplaySettings.cfg files of your last saved game in C:\Users\Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\******\G ameplaySettings.cfg and C:\Users\Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\******\U PCInitial\GameplaySettings.cfg and change the line to "ManualTargetingSystem=true". Any SaveGames made after this should reflect the changes that you made to the Gameplay settings.
Due to the weird way UBI names the SaveGames, I find it easier to use "sort by date" to arrange the folder. That way the savegame at the top is usually the last save and you can confirm this by looking at the "ReplayInfo.rep" file which will have the title that you typed in when you saved your game. You still have to set "Manual targeting enforced" to "False" in the OFEV as per the previous post, http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...56&postcount=3 to be able to switch between manual and auto targeting using the XO.

Last edited by kevinsue; 12-01-16 at 06:24 PM.