Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-10, 07:50 AM   #16
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
Just alittle niggle, but those numbers dont represent the 3 speeds of your torpdoes.

They're simply showing where your torpdoes will be at 3 different times in the future. Naturally if you set them to fast, the #3 will be further out because it will go futher in that time. Slow and it will be closer in. It's the same thing for the enemy ship's dots. If it's doing 15 knots, His numbers will be spaced further apart and reach out further, and if he's doing 4 knots.. they will be closer in.

Doesn't matter what speed you have set, as long as you match ANY of the numbers you'll hit. You could even use halfway between dots if you wanted.. doesn't matter.
Thanks I can edit the video a redo it if this is correct. So If I understand you correctly you will still hit the target if say the number 3 of the Merchant vessle falls inbetween the number 3 and 2 of your periscope numbers?

If this is correct then I will Re Narrate the video and upload it again and just change the link. Want it to be as acurate as possible.

For others if you follow my methods in the old video you will still hit the target though. LOL.

malkuth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 07:54 AM   #17
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Is that the most arcade automatic method of targeting? That's darn confusing. Can the arcade-auto method shoot anything other than a 000 gyro shot?

I'm glad I use manual targeting because there's no way I could figure out that Lotto ball Teletuby stuff.

Yes aslong as the numbers match you will hit the target at any angle. The problem is that I don't know if the devs programed in the torpedo problems of the germans. In the real war if the torpedos hit at anything other then straight on they would not detonate.

So I always set up on a 90 Degree angle to make sure the torpedo actually hits straight on. Its the way we were taught in SHIII and its the way I have been doing it since then.

BUt as long as the numbers connect. They go boom.

Old 03-04-10, 10:52 AM   #18
Portman
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Sweet, major thanks for the video! I just made my first attack and my shots went straight ahead and behind by the time they reached the merchant. I was fuming because I expected it to be like SH3&4 so I came looking for a solution and found your excellent video.

And about that merchant, they're on the bottom courtesy of my deck gun.
Portman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 10:57 AM   #19
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonTheNorse View Post
Thanks a lot
WELCOME ABOARD!
Old 03-04-10, 11:11 AM   #20
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Thx Malkuth74

So the days of calculating speed on map, range with mast height from recog manual and such are over huh ?
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 11:24 AM   #21
simsurfer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Thx Malkuth74

So the days of calculating speed on map, range with mast height from recog manual and such are over huh ?
In Auto TDC yes. You can still do manual TDC if you so wish.
Old 03-04-10, 11:39 AM   #22
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth74 View Post
So If I understand you correctly you will still hit the target if say the number 3 of the Merchant vessle falls inbetween the number 3 and 2 of your periscope numbers?
No in that case the in-between of your numbers needs to fall in the in-between of his numbers. Sounds funny when you read it but yes.

Example:
Halfway between 2 & 3 on your torpedo... lined up halfway between his 2 & 3. Again, regardless of torpedo speed.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 11:53 AM   #23
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsurfer View Post
In Auto TDC yes. You can still do manual TDC if you so wish.
Yea using that awsome recognition manual they gave us.

Anyhow thanks for the efforts on the video !
Old 03-04-10, 11:53 AM   #24
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Good, but maybe 720p be better.

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 08:30 PM   #25
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Updated with another video on some advanced techniques with the TDC and Rear fire torpedos and the deck gun.

Old 03-04-10, 11:49 PM   #26
fallenyggdrasil
Mate

Downloads: 9

I think of those people, playing their SH V, not knowing about the subsim.com forum.... how could they play with only their "manual" at hands???
fallenyggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 04:02 AM   #27
Lt.Harper
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

This is suppose to be their casual arcade style auto method? It's freaking confusing if you don't know whats going on. At least in SH4 you got the green carot and the red S would line up, just put scope on target and press fire when the S lights up. Simple.

Also, I know if torpedoes didn't hit at 90 degree for the germans they had problems, but if I recall for the americans, you needed to hit between 75-80 when on the fast setting otherwise the trigger would break itself from the impact instead of detonating...
Lt.Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 08:13 AM   #28
malkuth74
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Harper View Post
This is suppose to be their casual arcade style auto method? It's freaking confusing if you don't know whats going on. At least in SH4 you got the green carot and the red S would line up, just put scope on target and press fire when the S lights up. Simple.

Also, I know if torpedoes didn't hit at 90 degree for the germans they had problems, but if I recall for the americans, you needed to hit between 75-80 when on the fast setting otherwise the trigger would break itself from the impact instead of detonating...
I think they wanted to add a challenge to the game for even Auto TDC.

Once you understand the process it is very easy, because most of the time when you line up you 1, 2, or 3 with the merchant 1,2,3 you hit anytime and what seems at any angle with my test.

The problem comes when you can't use teh 1,2,3 because you either are not in the right range, or other reasons. Then you have to use the lines and guess the distance... Little more challenging and not guarenteed a hit.. But Its actually starting to grow on me a little.

Old 03-05-10, 11:11 AM   #29
Yskonyn
Sailor man

Downloads: 30

Thank you for making these video's!
Old 03-05-10, 07:18 PM   #30
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

I find it rather distasteful that the "easy mode" of targeting has now introduced an entirely new branch of difficulty that has virtually no relation to the original process for which the easy mode was created.

It's like if you were learning to ride a bicycle but it was too hard so training wheels were applied. But the training wheels were boringly easy so an arbitrary difficulty was added to training wheels. The skill learned in dealing with these training wheels has absolutely no value to the cyclist that has graduated to not using training wheels at all.

Also one of the big features of a torpedo is its ability to turn after leaving the boat. Many aspects of the "full procedure" in targeting are about this. Is there any way to get a "turning shot" while using the easiest mode of targeting? Everything so far I've seen of auto TDC is that the torpedo is going to go straight ahead and you'd better aim with the submarine and time it right.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote