SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-09, 07:37 PM   #481
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1
Tomi:
My question in message #500 was lost in the crossfire that took place later. I'd like to repeat it here...

"What 3D graphics editor do you use? Wings or GMAX or some other...
Do you know of any tutorial that will help people do modeling? The tutorial with GMAX is of no help for submarine interior modeling. I can use S3D and DatTexExtract but they only let one get to surface .tga files to be edited or included in a 3D graphics program for modeling interior spaces."

I repeat, your work is terrific. Can't wait for it to be available for SH3 GWX.
Depends where you are looking
The ships\subs dat contains the skin ( tga ) exterior info
Sub interiors are in the \data\Interior folder

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 08:18 PM   #482
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There are a great many 3D programs out there.
Some free some cost money.

Look for Misfit, Wings, and others.

Be aware!
Once you start into 3D Model stuff?
It can be addictive!

I now find myself watching the Cartoon Channel
just to see some good 3D animation work.
Old 01-24-09, 09:28 PM   #483
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1
Tomi:
My question in message #500 was lost in the crossfire that took place later. I'd like to repeat it here...

"What 3D graphics editor do you use? Wings or GMAX or some other...
Do you know of any tutorial that will help people do modeling? The tutorial with GMAX is of no help for submarine interior modeling. I can use S3D and DatTexExtract but they only let one get to surface .tga files to be edited or included in a 3D graphics program for modeling interior spaces."

I repeat, your work is terrific. Can't wait for it to be available for SH3 GWX.

I use 3D Max, but I Wings 3D, Blender, you can get the same results

http://www.blender.org/features-gall...y/art-gallery/

Old 01-24-09, 11:44 PM   #484
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

Tomi: Have to repeat my question regarding tutorial help in interior 3D modeling.

"Do you know of any tutorial that will help people do modeling? The tutorial with GMAX is of no help for submarine interior modeling. I can use S3D and DatTexExtract but they only let one get to surface .tga files..."

bigboywooly: I think I did mention that I understood using the *.DAT file *.tga files and Paint or Photoshop to alter skins and surface files. The real question is how to work on interior stuff in 3D with 3D Max, GMAX or Wings 3D, and having a decent tutorial to help.

Don't want to hijack this great thread from Tomi's work.

BBW, if you have any guidance, please PM me.
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 12:13 AM   #485
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

looks like you even made the can!!
Old 01-25-09, 10:47 PM   #486
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Downloads: 19

Hi, i'm very new to this thread, and haven't read through the whole thing. I don't have much time, but wouldn't mind some texturing experience on the side- as its what i'm studying in school.

Whoever is leading up this project, feel free to give me small texturing assignments (eg, "here's a valve, can you add some realistice weathering to it" or "soup up the torpedo hatch door," etc.")

Anyways, feel free to drop me a line.

-Bramtyr
Bramtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 05:57 AM   #487
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

the rooms are so detailed...i wonder everytime again, how you got this done. not due to the skills...i would model it the same way. but the motivation! brilliant. simply brilliant...dude. even i ask myself, why you choosed type II instead of type VII?

-

meister...du hast es aber auch echt raus. i bewundere deine hartnäckigkeit...ebenso, wie dein können. andererseits frage ich mich, warum du ausgerechnet den typ II ausgesucht hast. wo doch der meistverwendeteste typ der typ VII war...gibts dafür einen grund?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 10:23 AM   #488
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Tomi working on the Type II is turning an "ugly duckling" into a beautiful swan! It's nice to see the younger sister getting some love and attention here. Worry not, everything learned here can be easily adapted to other boats and they will be easier as a result.

I'm glad he picked the Type II. I always considered it the cute little sister of the Type VII, where the American S-Boat is the ugly little sister (? Fatherhood in question there:rotfl of the fleet boat.

Your mod your way, Tomi! Don't get distracted by the fireworks. It's all harmless and not worth the attention.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 06:54 PM   #489
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Tomi working on the Type II is turning an "ugly duckling" into a beautiful swan! It's nice to see the younger sister getting some love and attention here. Worry not, everything learned here can be easily adapted to other boats and they will be easier as a result.

I'm glad he picked the Type II. I always considered it the cute little sister of the Type VII, where the American S-Boat is the ugly little sister (? Fatherhood in question there:rotfl of the fleet boat.

Your mod your way, Tomi! Don't get distracted by the fireworks. It's all harmless and not worth the attention.
Boo! Both the Type II and the S-boat are very good looking boats. Nice and shapely!
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 07:34 PM   #490
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins

-------------------------------------------

My friend you can read thought like a magician!!

Old 01-27-09, 01:47 AM   #491
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35

UBI, are you listening?

Absolutely crazy good work Tomi!!!
Old 01-28-09, 05:17 PM   #492
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

incredible...nice texturing. and the details are fantastic!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 06:42 PM   #493
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch
incredible...nice texturing. and the details are fantastic!

I hope which we can keep up with Ubi Soft!! :hmm:

Ich hoffe das wir mit Ubi Soft mithalten können !!
Old 01-28-09, 06:56 PM   #494
UberMatz
Sailor man

First I'd like to say the work being done here is amazing! I'm a little late on some of the earlier questions regarding the diesel engines "overhead" or valves and injectors etc. I spent several years rebuilding multiple types of diesel engines. From the looks of the photos and the videos, these diesel engines didn't have an "injection pump" per se' but rather a constant pressure diesel pump that provided fuel to the injector rack (lower tube running the length of the over head) which fed the injectors. The center push-rod, when lifted by the camshaft, activates the "rocker arm" and depresses the injector plunger which during it's downstroke both creates the high injection pressure and triggers the injection of the fuel through the injector nozzle. Fuel that is not injected during this cycle exits the injector assembly and is collected in the diesel return line (the upper tube running the length of the overhead.) The other two rocker arm assemblies are for (1) the air intake and (2) engine exhaust. If you look closely, you'll notice a considerably different center (injector) rocker arm and also as some of the pictures show, a much longer range of adjustment for the center push rod. This particular configuration (plunger activated injector) is still in use today in many commercial Cummins Diesel engines.

Many of the earlier diesel engines (not positive but likely in submarines as well) were two stroke rather than four stroke engines. These early diesels were often equipped with turbo chargers and intercoolers, however from the photos, it isn't obvious if they existed on the U-boat engines. Some reading I've done suggests that the engines were made by Man Diesel. Hopefully this info is helpful.

Matt
UberMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 07:12 PM   #495
UberMatz
Sailor man

On closer examination of the supply lines to the injectors, your model is dead on, each injector had it's own independent line from the pump. There is still one rack-tube which is likely a diesel return, and the other appears to be for pressuring the relief valve that when held open allowed the pistons to move without being under pressure while initially being spun by the compressed air starter. After it began spinning fast enough, those relief valves are closed and the engine allowed to start on combusting diesel. Great textures on the model!!
UberMatz is offline   Reply With Quote