SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-09, 11:07 AM   #1
SpecWarrior
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Reformat GWX issues

I'm having a problem right now. I had to reformat my windows drive. I previously saved both SH3Commander and my Ubisoft files to my D drive as I want to still continue my saved games. Was running GWX 3.0. I've reinstalled SH3 to a new directory as well (I understand window may have written some files it needs to the C drive upon install, so to insure they are there, I've done the new install and have both old and new files) I've also saved the SH3 folder from the pre-format "my documents" and have moved that back over there. I have kept everything (including commander which I DID NOT re-install post-format) on the D drive.

When I install I have:
1) installed stock SH3 first.
2) then patched using "silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_us" (as I'm running a disk).
3) installed GWX 3.0.
4) drag and drop "GWX_21.1_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr3.0.7z" into SH3Commander's cfg file.

Now that you have some background I'll go over my problem. It seems the graffix look fine if no mods are installed using GSGME. But if i even roll back and install the 16km distance and English grid ref's mods I have graffix glitches in the forms of:
1)Ocean is a black void.
2)Dials missing handles, etc.
3)Helm officer present has no head (literally).

Now I have questions about installing the config files into SH Commander that I've downloaded from the GWX site. (Can't remember how I did this the first time ). 1)Do I just drag and drop the lone file into commander's cfg file?
2)Can (and Should) I just scrap everything but the SH3 folder in "My Documents" and just start from scratch?

Anyone else experience this? I need some informed help pls.

SpecWarrior
SpecWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:17 PM   #2
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecWarrior
I'm having a problem right now. I had to reformat my windows drive. I previously saved both SH3Commander and my Ubisoft files to my D drive as I want to still continue my saved games. Was running GWX 3.0. I've reinstalled SH3 to a new directory as well (I understand window may have written some files it needs to the C drive upon install, so to insure they are there, I've done the new install and have both old and new files) I've also saved the SH3 folder from the pre-format "my documents" and have moved that back over there. I have kept everything (including commander which I DID NOT re-install post-format) on the D drive.

When I install I have:
1) installed stock SH3 first.
2) then patched using "silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_us" (as I'm running a disk).
3) installed GWX 3.0.
4) drag and drop "GWX_21.1_Cfg_4_SH3Cmdr3.0.7z" into SH3Commander's cfg file.

Now that you have some background I'll go over my problem. It seems the graffix look fine if no mods are installed using GSGME. But if i even roll back and install the 16km distance and English grid ref's mods I have graffix glitches in the forms of:
1)Ocean is a black void.
2)Dials missing handles, etc.
3)Helm officer present has no head (literally).

Now I have questions about installing the config files into SH Commander that I've downloaded from the GWX site. (Can't remember how I did this the first time ). 1)Do I just drag and drop the lone file into commander's cfg file?
2)Can (and Should) I just scrap everything but the SH3 folder in "My Documents" and just start from scratch?

Anyone else experience this? I need some informed help pls.

SpecWarrior
All you needed to do was to copy SH3 and Personnel Files from My Documents folder to drive D. (Before doing that, rollback SH3 commanders settings) And then do the format thing of drive C. Basiclly you have to uninstall SH3 and SH3 Commander.

Then after reinstall of windows, you had to reinstall SH3 + GWX from scratch since windows registry is using information of all installed software on your PC.

Then copy back SH3 and Personnel files to My Documents. and everything should be ok.

Last edited by Contact; 02-12-09 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 01:08 PM   #3
SpecWarrior
Nub

Downloads: 1

Tkx Contact for the reply. What I did was uninstall everything except for the "my documents" files. Did a complete re-install and ran winrar to open the necessary SH3 Commander .cfg download. Installed that properly to the Commander and viola` my saves are working. I've tried 16km mod and English Grid ref mods and so far, so good...tkx again for the help.
SpecWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 07:53 PM   #4
Awful Smutje
Machinist's Mate

Location: Germany, about 200km upwards the Weser from bunker "Valentin"
Downloads: 0

If I have to kill my C:\ partition, I do it that way:

- rollback your SH3 Commander
- put your SH3 folder in "my documents" to a safe place, like partition D:\
- format C:\
- reinstall windows
- if you have SH3 on a partition except C:\ (like me) rename your moded SH3 folder like "C:\Games\SilentHunterIII-moded"
- install SH3 (keep your renamed SH3 folder)
- delete the fresh install of SH3 manually (not with the uninstall function, you need the registry of it)
- rename your modded SH3 folder to the name of the deleted folder in the step before
- delete the new SH3 folder in "my documents"
- copy your old SH3 save folder on that place
- start the game

You now should have your old complete moded Silent Hunter III. I've done it that way several times and it worked fine. Maybe you need to reinstall your SH3 Commander and your Sh3gen, if you use them.