SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-15, 10:50 PM   #16
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Greetings CapnScurvy,

Is it possible to have some playable surface ships implemented in your super mod?

I'm currently commanding the New_Mexico class BB as well as the Montana BB utilising TMO and RSRD and enjoying it very much.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 12:27 PM   #17
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
AND YES, I would like to start the game earlier....before December 7th, to incorporate a mission to hunt/find the Pearl Harbor Task Force after the attack. This would mean making a detailed mission of the Nagumo Task Force, and having a sub put into harms way.

Fred8615, if you already have an early start to the Campaign game, I would like to use it. I would appreciate any help you could provide!
If you would like to incorporate my Pre Pearl Harbor mod into yours, be my guest. No since reinventing the wheel if you don't need to. Feel free to edit, replace, or add to the missions I created for it if you don't like them. One of them even includes having a sub in the area of Nagumo's force on Dec. 7th, though I haven't actually encountered more than a few planes from it any time I've played it. (I have run into the TF returning to base in another of my missions though.)

If you need/want anything more, just ask!
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 05:47 PM   #18
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I never thought I'd see another attempt at a major Fleet Boat mod for SH4. The modding side of things always seems to focus more on the other side. I'm quite interested to see where this goes.

Quote:
A different Torpedo Attack interface that will improve gameplay
A new Recognition Manual that will compliment the new interface
I'm interested in this new interface. Willing to share any information on it yet?
My most wished for feature in the tracking/attack area of SH4 has always been a way to automatically mark the map when I take a bearing/range fix. If you found a way to add that, and that was all you added, I would be quite happy.

Quote:
Additions to the interior of the subs
Does this mean just changing the interiors, or are you planning anything to make them more alive or interactive? I really like the 3D radar and TDC that was created, and I would love to see that carried forward and even built upon.
Old 05-19-15, 07:08 PM   #19
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
If you would like to incorporate my Pre Pearl Harbor mod into yours, be my guest. No since reinventing the wheel if you don't need to. Feel free to edit, replace, or add to the missions I created for it if you don't like them. One of them even includes having a sub in the area of Nagumo's force on Dec. 7th, though I haven't actually encountered more than a few planes from it any time I've played it. (I have run into the TF returning to base in another of my missions though.)

If you need/want anything more, just ask!
Thank you.....I'll definitely look into your Pre Pearl Harbor mod!! You'll get full credit as well

James_nix wrote earlier in this thread:

Quote:
One small suggestion, I really like the radio messages in TMO. The 'chatter' if you will. Sports scores, sinking, holiday wishes, as well as operational awareness of the Japanese. It really helped to make it feel like you were in a living world.

I hope to see something like that included!
Fred8615, I know you've done work with the sound side of things (I have too with the basic sound effects), but not with the radio messages. I wonder if you know what could be done (or maybe has already been done) regarding what james_nix is referring to?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 07:30 PM   #20
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Fred8615, I know you've done work with the sound side of things (I have too with the basic sound effects), but not with the radio messages. I wonder if you know what could be done (or maybe has already been done) regarding what james_nix is referring to?
I think what he is referring to are the message that pop up on the clipboard, not actual sound files that play on the radio.
Old 05-19-15, 08:00 PM   #21
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I think what he is referring to are the message that pop up on the clipboard, not actual sound files that play on the radio.
Yes, thanks. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 05-20-15, 09:07 AM   #22
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark
I'm interested in this new interface. Willing to share any information on it yet?
My most wished for feature in the tracking/attack area of SH4 has always been a way to automatically mark the map when I take a bearing/range fix. If you found a way to add that, and that was all you added, I would be quite happy.
The interface I'm thinking of is replacing the Attack Data Tool (the upper right pull-out, on the periscope screen) with something like the German KiUB. I want all dials to be visible at one time. Range, Speed, Ship Height, Relative Bearing, AoB.....available with one look. Once set, you send the cumulative data to the TDC. Right now, you have to navigate through the Attack Data Tool to have the separate dials send their manual data along.

A draw back to manually determining range with the periscope Telemeter Divisions with Optical Targeting Correction has been when you set the OTC Range dial and "Send" the data to the TDC. Where ever the periscope is fixed on a bearing....that relative bearing is used to determine the solution. Unless you remember to "Lock" back onto the target after determining range, the relative bearing of the target can be inacurate. I want to eliminate this by having a dial that sets a relative bearing, not just the scopes viewable position.

The Ship Height Dial would be a new dial that would set a height figure for calculating the math equation of Height and Angle equals Range. The Angle comes from the Stadimeter reading taken of a reference point on the ship. The stock game has us using the ships mast as the reference point (some of these mast height figures are in error.....some ships don't even have masts?!). I plan to have the Recognition Manual give us a Height figure for several points on a target. It's up to you to chose which point of reference to use, set the Height Dial to the height of the reference, then take a Stadimeter reading from that reference point. If you can't see the mast, use the funnel, or some other point of reference.

The idea of marking the map with a bearing/range fix. Isn't that what's done with the white checkmark on the stock games Attack Map? I know some mods remove the Attack Maps ability to show that mark, as well as other map indicators on both Attack/Navigation Maps (I don't plan to eliminate any of the stock games help features......it's my thought you can remove most help features as you see fit by using the various "Game Play Options".....you don't need a mod to eliminate them for you). Maybe I'm wrong in understanding what you're asking for?

=========

Guess I was wrong in understanding what james_nix asked about......and yes, there can be added messages to the clipboard report. Although a lot of players don't like the extra chatter, especially if it slows down Time Compression while traveling. That can also be changed within the game too.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 05-20-15, 02:25 PM   #23
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0

Bravo Capn! I am really excited about this mod and the features you describe.

Quote:
The interface I'm thinking of is replacing the Attack Data Tool (the upper right pull-out, on the periscope screen) with something like the German KiUB.
IMO, the KiUB/AOBF (from the OM/OMEGU mods) doesn't get the kudos it deserves. I dare say that it may be the best targeting interface of the SH series.

Quote:
I plan to have the Recognition Manual give us a Height figure for several points on a target. It's up to you to chose which point of reference to use
For everyone's reference, here's the Fubuki page from an actual (perhaps the actual) recognition manual from 1945 (Merchant heights are displayed a bit differently - see link below):

For anybody interested, here is the link to the full IJN manual (ONI 222-J):
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni22.../index.htm#toc

And here is the merchant manual (ONI 208-J-Revised):
http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni20.../index.htm#toc
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 04:29 PM   #24
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
FTR, I did know what he was talking about. I've even done it a couple of times myself, so if you need help there too, I can.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 06:19 PM   #25
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
The interface I'm thinking of is replacing the Attack Data Tool (the upper right pull-out, on the periscope screen) with something like the German KiUB. I want all dials to be visible at one time. Range, Speed, Ship Height, Relative Bearing, AoB.....available with one look.
I'm not familiar with the German tool, but it sounds interesting. I've not played the German side in SH4, and I never tried manual targeting in SH3. I'll have to check it out to get a better idea what that all means.

Quote:
The idea of marking the map with a bearing/range fix. Isn't that what's done with the white checkmark on the stock games Attack Map?
Maybe I'm wrong in understanding what you're asking for?
My issue is that the mark only appears on the Attack Map, and the drawing tools are only available on the Nav Map.

Here's my procedure that I've used for manual targeting:
Obtain a contact.
Determine target bearing and range, send it to the TDC, and write it down.
Start the stopwatch.
Go to the Nav Map, pause the game, plot target's position on the map.
Unpause the game, wait a few minutes, get a new range and bearing, note it, pause to map it, unpause, wait, repeat the cycle a few times.
Once I've got several fixes plotted, I can start determining his course and speed and begin my attack.

It's the extra step of noting his position and pausing to draw it out. With the position keeper on, it will plot the target position from the range and bearing, but that's only on the attack map. If the drawing tools were available, I could mark the positions and use the tools to figure course and speed. If the position keeper mark appeared on the Nav Map, I wouldn't need to pause and plot out his position. (Also, if a speed is entered into the TDC, that mark is going to be moving.)

My dream system would automatically plot the position fix with the stopwatch time on the Nav Map whenever I send the bearing/range to the TDC.
Old 05-21-15, 04:02 AM   #26
GOZO
Commander

Downloads: 176

Very cool initiative for a new mod indeed!!!

SHIV:TMo 2.5, RSRD, SCAF OLC, Ralle's modpack
SHIV: WDAD, Med Campaign
SHIII: GWX3 GOLD, OLCII Gold, ACM-reloaded interface mod, SHIIIcmndr 3.2, Full Realism/DiD
SHIII: LSH3 2015
Cold Waters with all bells and whistles
Finally SHV but still unmodded and still a noob....
GOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 10:52 AM   #27
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
FTR, I did know what he was talking about. I've even done it a couple of times myself, so if you need help there too, I can.
Yes, I'd like to see what you can come up with!!

================

pdiddy, that's just about what I'm thinking for the games Recognition Manual.

A smaller version, yet a scaled image of a target ship that has multiple height reference points. Want to use the bow as a height reference point.....the illustrated Fubuki bow is about 25/26 feet high. Set a dial to that figure and use the Stadimeter to get a reading from the bow.

================

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark
My issue is that the mark only appears on the Attack Map, and the drawing tools are only available on the Nav Map.

Here's my procedure that I've used for manual targeting:
Obtain a contact.
Determine target bearing and range, send it to the TDC, and write it down.
Start the stopwatch.
Go to the Nav Map, pause the game, plot target's position on the map.
Unpause the game, wait a few minutes, get a new range and bearing, note it, pause to map it, unpause, wait, repeat the cycle a few times.
Once I've got several fixes plotted, I can start determining his course and speed and begin my attack.

My dream system would automatically plot the position fix with the stopwatch time on the Nav Map whenever I send the bearing/range to the TDC.
You plot your target like I do....on the Nav Map. I never use the Attack Map.

I'll admit, years ago I had the Map Tools on the Attack Map (the menu_1024_768.ini file covers it) yet they didn't do a thing. They filled up the bottom corner of the Attack Map screen, but no mouse capture of the tools. The game engine doesn't recognize the tools there. The developers didn't write the script to make them function on anything other then the Nav Map.

Again, we've got ideas, yet there isn't a way of implementing them.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 05-21-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 03:45 PM   #28
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Sounds Awsome Are You Going Have The Narwhal Class

Last edited by les green01; 05-21-15 at 03:53 PM.
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 06:58 AM   #29
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
Sounds Awsome Are You Going Have The Narwhal Class
I'm not going to add a Narwhal class (looking like the Porpoise) and just call it a Narwhal.

Nor am I going to take the Narwhal mod (that's a bonus mod from SubSim) and incorporate it into the Day of Infamy. That mod is a gift for those that donate to SubSim. No way I'm touching it.

So no, unless I find a Narwhal model just hanging around out in cyberspace.

Quote:
Old 05-22-15, 11:06 AM   #30
Longknife
A-ganger

Downloads: 59

Quote:
So no, unless I find a Narwhal model just hanging around out in cyberspace.
I can make one if there is an interest. Personally I don't see the appeal of that tub

I am making a high definition S-Boat right now as well as several other projects (I work on them as the mood moves me). I can add it to the list if I can secure good reference images.