SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-08, 06:44 PM   #31
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Sure, first the speed, this one is not dependant of the zoom power, if you try you will see that it takes the same time for the ship to cross the vertical line at any zoom power.
For the range, you calculate with the same method as usual, but since zoom 2x is 3 times less than 6x, you divide the result by 3.
So let's assume the AOB finder gives you 1500m using the normal marks, the range is actually 500m.
To calculate the AOB you just have do as usual, align the distance (after dividing, so here it would be 500) on the length of the ship and count the marks.
It's difficult to make clear with word, but try it out on the small merchant in the torpedo training mission if needed and it will become clear
Tks mate
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 07:46 PM   #32
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

I don't understand why we need to double the mastheight. Can someone explain?

With the original U-jagd tools, there is no mast height doubling

edit: but great work Mikhayl

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill

Last edited by joegrundman; 11-26-08 at 07:46 PM.
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:34 PM   #33
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
LOL, thanks Joe To be honest I don't know either about the doubling thing, I think it was because the scope marks in OLC were different than in U-Jagd tools or something like that. I remember OLC posted an explanation but I forgot
that's why OLC did, yes, but even so it was in fact so that the AOB finder could be open at the same time as the recog manual without the manual obscuring the lower numbers on the AOB finder

But now i look at the screenshot again, i note you have the same recog manual position. For me it's not a problem - i don't really use the recog manual anyway, I prefer to estimate length and mast height visually

but as you say it is partly to do with the scales OLC used

To get the aspect ratio you need to compare apparent height with apparent length

But in game terms the length is easiest to calculate by locking on the target and just measuring half the length

So with the scale that OLC used, he doubled the horizontal scale value so it was only necessary to measure half the ship's length

but he preferred the vertical scale be to the same scale to keep it looking neat - which it does! (in U-jagd i was less concerned with making the scales look symetrical)

This meant that using his new scales, the apparent length and height were both doubled, but you only measured half the length, so the height measurement was too times too big. So somewhere a factor of 2 had to be inserted into the equation and it was put in the form of doubling the mastheight for the reason above.

You could just as well have the same scale and simply remember to double the apparent length if you only measured half of it

hmm, i'm not sure my explanation clarifies things

Anyway, the point being, since you have eliminated all the marks, there's no real reason to do the doubled mastheight, when you could instead emphasize that the full apparent length must be measured, not just half of it.

But then maybe i still don't get it and I'm wrong
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:57 PM   #34
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

Hi Mikhayl

This was the test scopes (nearly a return back to vanilla)

The attack scope was reduced in visual quality with a darker view to represent the smaller optics and made night vision harder. While the observer scope was the same as the OLC attack scope, also experimented with a slightly bigger viewing area. Apart from the decreased quality of the attack scope, both scopes are virtually the same at 6x/1.5x. The binoculars I made 10x for some compensation in ID of flags, which gives the bonus that you can see ships slightly before the crew, instead of the other way round (some uboats did have them).
At the moment I'm working on 3 projects for this 1. single tube operation with dial instead of clicking the tubes - 2. A possible rework of the scope views using an eyepiece. 3.Adding Hitmen's optic dimensions.

The game played very realistic in my opinion and I tendered to use the observer scope at every opportunity, the attack one being used for stealth. The binoculars were great and I didn't find ID'ing too difficult, in fact on the surface tracking single targets was easier. Getting an ID underwater was harder but in a way made the game more interesting for me.

I thought of adding the 2 filters but couldn't find info as to what situation they'd be used for. p.s. Just found it in hitmen's manual.

I used joegrundman's new U-jagd and no doubling of masts without a problem.

Last edited by badwolf; 11-26-08 at 09:23 PM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 10:02 PM   #35
badwolf
XO

Sorry Mikhayl I misled you with the title.
I'm using OLC's GUI but both scopes are the same visual size area. The slight increase in size does 2 things 1. better to ID ships & 2. Allows joe's U-jagd AOB disc's to fit nicely in the viewing area/with no doubling of masts.
The realistic sized zooms are as follows:-
Binoculars 8x some even had 10x
UZO 7x
Scopes 6x/1.5x
Thanks for the info Mikhayl, I'll add the filters also.

The observation scope was in reality the primary scope. The attack scope used for daytime attacks due to smaller wake etc, which IIRC is modelled in the game. This mod makes you use the OB scope more (realistic) which is opposite to the game currently, but the att scope must still be used for day attack (realistic).

The mods were made after a discussion with hitman.

Note:- Every modder has good reasons for why they have done it their way. Mine is for reality, but that doesn't suit everyone.

Last edited by badwolf; 11-26-08 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 10:37 PM   #36
badwolf
XO

I like the ship ID panel ! With some 300 ships its a shame we can't have them all, or can we.
With 6 or 8 ships a page this would take a lot of switches. I wondered if a dial could be used, similar to the tube selection, which does the same job - switch TGA's. I've been thinking about this for my ID Manual, haven't tested it or even know if it would work.

I bet this idea makes you :rotfl:
Old 11-27-08, 03:19 AM   #37
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Great work Mikhayl. And Hitman and Nicolas of course. And me, haha.
Looks nice and clean. I love the "quick reference" ship ID charts.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 11-27-08 at 03:21 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 03:49 AM   #38
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Welcome back OLC.

Now off to the galley with you AND your potato peeler. Fritz is waiting for you, and I believe he has a sermon prepared concerning 'the destructive nature of being AWOL from the flotilla.'

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 11-27-08 at 03:50 AM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-08, 05:05 AM   #39
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Welcome back OLC.

Now off to the galley with you AND your potato peeler. Fritz is waiting for you, and I believe he has a sermon prepared concerning 'the destructive nature of being AWOL from the flotilla.'
lol, thanks
I've been busy modding another game, but I thought I'd pop in and see how you lot have been managing without me.
Apologies for going OT, Mikhayl.
Old 11-27-08, 06:56 AM   #40
Kumando
Commodore

Maybe this will help you on the periscope issue Mikhayl: http://www.uboataces.com/periscopes.shtml

"The majority of boats were fitted with two periscopes – an attack periscope for spotting and targeting surface vessels, and an observation periscope for scanning the sky and taking navigational bearings."
Old 11-27-08, 09:50 AM   #41
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

The grey filter was probably a polarisation filter to cut out sun-glare. (could be an ordinary darkening filter if needed to darken the sun for taking sunsights, but then it would be almost black like welding-glass or kaleuns would burn their eyes) Polarising works by allowing lightwaves to 'vibrate' one way but not at right angles to it. Doesn't make sense? Me neither. (Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization) The first halve of the wiki-page is very mathmatical. But the lower part is much more 'down to earth'.

Since the game doesn't model that kind of light, it is of limited use to put a simple grey filter in. 'Realism' doesn't cut it if you ask me. I suspect it creates the opposite: less contrast. I personally would like to test different kinds of colors to see what works best for my eyes. So if you could provide some JSGME-ready files in different colors of the rainbow for that I'd be very happy.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 03:05 PM   #42
Kumando
Commodore

You are going to add tdc to the obs?If so not realistic
Old 11-28-08, 03:38 PM   #43
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

mikhayl..... (even this road have no end!)
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 04:54 PM   #44
swampy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 187

Can't wait!
Now Im gonna take this great mod on another patrol.
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 06:16 AM   #45
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Finally got around to going on my first patrol with this combimod. It's bound to be my best one yet, sunk 3 tankers already. Feeling very confident with my manual solutions. Thank you Mikhayl, it's THE interface mod to have IMHO
The small periscope and zoom levels, the tdc dials positioning is perfect, and you're still adding to these features

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote