SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-07, 08:51 PM   #1
klh
Ensign

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0
Default Kriegsmarine Angriffsscheibe Handbuch

I have been enjoying the use of the German Attack Disc (a.k.a. whiz wheel, Is-Was) which I made from Hitman's instructions. In the process of learning how to use it, I collected several tips from this forum and other on-line sources, and began to write my own guide. It's not very original, nor anything that you can't find elsewhere, but I found it helpful to have it all collected in one document. Before I knew it, I had a small booklet that I decided worth sharing with the community.

Update 19 March 2008 - Version 3 is now available.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=3405

This version is a major rewrite and includes more examples (18), is formatted to be printed into a booklet, and incorporates some corrections and additional reference information. It's now up to 25 MB.

It can be used with the printable attack disc...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...06&postcount=1

or the Flash version...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...09&postcount=1

or one of the in-game versions...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...24&postcount=1
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...16&postcount=1

Last edited by klh; 01-27-21 at 08:56 PM.
klh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 10:13 PM   #2
KLARCH
Helmsman

Downloads: 68

I have to print out these disks one of these days. They seem to take care of everything.

Very informative tutorial.
Old 12-13-07, 05:06 AM   #3
Alyebard
Medic

Downloads: 5

Thanks, very usefull !

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse
Navegar 'es necessari. Viure no
Alyebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 07:13 PM   #4
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Hi klh

I've tried repeatedly to download this, but it's failed to download every time.

joe
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 08:07 PM   #5
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Hi klh

I've tried repeatedly to download this, but it's failed to download every time.

joe
Hmmm. :hmm: This is the first thing I've ever put on FileFront so I could have messed it up, but the link works for me. When is it failing?

Send me a PM with your email, and I can email it to you. It's 3.2 MB.
Old 12-13-07, 08:56 PM   #6
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

actually i now think the problem is at my end. PM on it's way
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 04:51 PM   #7
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0

Good work
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:06 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Thanks, I'll read it with interest

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 08:08 PM   #9
jimmie
Lieutenant

Ok, again thank you for the tutorial.

I have little memory on trigonometry now but trying to beat my brain...
I'm also using a real sliderule to find out the target's speed by law of sine (unfortunatelly typical sliderules don't have "minute" or "knots" scales so it'll take more work other than finding speed by S scale..)

At the end of Example 6 you wrote that you could also calculate diverting tagert speed (via the formula on the tutorial).

I understand convergent course case (is it all angles in the triangle less than 90, right?) but I can't grahpically imagine the triangle and component for the diverting case. (I don't know the English name for the triangle which has an angle larger than 90 deg) I mean... in the converget course case, I imagine a triangle ABC, where A, B, C are angles and a, b, c are sides opposite to the same name angles. so, I imagine:

- uboat is on B, and angle B is scope reading (bearing to target)
- a is uboat speed
- target is on A, angle A is AOB and b is the target speed, found by the sliderule easily (in this case typical sliderule's C/D scale can represent knot because it's just a ratio problem without conversion).

Now, what's it's like for the diverting course triangle? I actually had problem finding out target's speed when I wasn't at collision course..
Old 12-14-07, 09:33 PM   #10
klh
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Now, what's it's like for the diverting course triangle? I actually had problem finding out target's speed when I wasn't at collision course..
It helps me to draw a picture. Consider a target that is heading away from you on a constant relative bearing.

You are right that your course and the target's course no longer form a triangle. But if the target is remaining on a constant bearing, then you both would have occupied a single point behind you (think of a collision in the past). The lines from the stern do form a triangle. The problem is still workable, only we must now calculate the angles A' and B'. A'=180-A, and B'=180-B. Therefore, the target's speed is...
Target speed = Own speed [ sin (180° - B) / sin (180° - A)

In the above example, A=150, B=80, and the target is traveling at 3.9 knots.

Does that help?
Old 12-14-07, 09:42 PM   #11
jimmie
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh
Quote:
It helps me to draw a picture. Consider a target that is heading away from you on a constant relative bearing.

You are right that your course and the target's course no longer form a triangle. But if the target is remaining on a constant bearing, then you both would have occupied a single point behind you (think of a collision in the past). The lines from the stern do form a triangle. The problem is still workable, only we must now calculate the angles A' and B'. A'=180-A, and B'=180-B. Therefore, the target's speed is...
Target speed = Own speed [ sin (180° - B) / sin (180° - A)

In the above example, A=150, B=80, and the target is traveling at 3.9 knots.

Does that help?
YES!! Thank you VERY much! I will try this in the game to digest well!

I think you should include this somewhat "advanced" (?) example in the already well-written tutorial to make it yet better!
Old 12-15-07, 10:06 AM   #12
klh
Ensign

Quote:
YES!! Thank you VERY much! I will try this in the game to digest well!

I think you should include this somewhat "advanced" (?) example in the already well-written tutorial to make it yet better!
By the way Jimmie, either formula will work for convergent or divergent courses. Because the sine function is symmetrical around 90 degrees, we don't really have to subtract the angles from 180. It's just easier for me to visualize, and the attack disc calculator only goes up to 90 degrees.

In other words...
sin (Angle) = sin (180-Angle)

Therefore...
sin (AOB) = sin (180-AOB)
sin (TB) = sin (180-TB)

Target speed = Own speed [ sin (180° - B) / sin (180° - A) ] = Own speed [ sin (B) / sin (A) ]

In the above example:
Target speed = 2 knots [ sin (80) / sin (150) ] = 2 knots [ sin (100) / sin (30) ] = 3.9 knots

Last edited by klh; 12-15-07 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 03:07 PM   #13
jimmie
Lieutenant

Yeah, I just didn't realize I could just use angle values by subtracting from 180, and simply could put speed (sides) astern of the ship on the imaginary triangle, that is: if the target is remaining on a constant bearing, then you both would have occupied a single point behind you (think of a collision in the past) --- it doesn't matter ahead or beheind since the problem we're trying to solve is just ratio in the triangle.

Since I read this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94608 I've been trying to use sliderule. After playing with virtual sliderules, I ended up getting a real Pickett 600ES (I should've gotten a longer one).

As I wrote in the above, a typical sliderule doesn't have "knot" nor "minute" scale so things like (ship length/seconds)*1.944 cannot be done in one no-brainer operation like in Hitman's circuler sliderule, but law of sine method is just fine

BTW, I like your rec book very much! I want one Using lots of external physical material gains immersion a lot. You can gather all information except range with real tools (have a stopwatch?).
Old 12-15-07, 04:12 PM   #14
klh
Ensign

Quote:
BTW, I like your rec book very much! I want one Using lots of external physical material gains immersion a lot. You can gather all information except range with real tools (have a stopwatch?).
You can find the recognition book on Terrapin's website (http://ubrsdlc.realsimulation.com/), but it appears to be down right now. If we can get his permission, I would be glad to put it up on FileFront. It takes some work to put together, but it adds a tremendous amount to realism. I've also got some printouts of real Kriegsmarine maps (not the gamey one that came with SH3) that add a little bit to the realism.

And no, I do not have a mechanical stopwatch yet. I can't seem to find one for a reasonable price.

As for range, I'm hoping to find the time to create a table or whiz wheel that allows you to calculate range knowing mast height and degrees in the periscope/UZO (by counting the ticks in the reticle).
Old 12-15-07, 09:50 PM   #15
jimmie
Lieutenant

Is the rec book mentioned new one? I remember someone made printable rec book about a couple of months after the release of SH3. What ships are included in it?

Hey I missed the chance to get the "official" rec book when it was included in the US pre-order of SH3, and I remember Neal gave us as a pirse at some time at subsim.com for some contest or even at SimHQ Teddy Bear gave it us at some occasion when he was the moderator of Naval/SilentHunter forum...

The monstrous package of hyped GWX version 2 has great numbers of new ships (actually I don't remember how many ships in the original except torp-worth merchants) and moreover, aren't we impatiently anticipating iambecomelife's merchant ships
So I guess I anyway need to create one by myself if I want the catalogue of all avail now.

As for range, back then someone made a simple table and I found it in my harddrive. But it's limited to "generic" ships (mast height 10.5m or 25m and C2/C3 cargo). Performing a calculation with some sliderule may be better way for this...

BTW, I excavated this thread: http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46693 in my SH3 folder (I seem to saved don1reed's what_is_track.jpg which seems to be missing now, it's a table of AOB and distance)